Search results

1. S

any issues with the new EA288?

Ok I bought myself a 2017 110 tdi DSG high line to replace my near perfect mk3 tdi. The car only has 10,000km on it. Had it a year now and no issues. DSG is all we get here in Australia and whilst it’s a fine piece of engineering I still prefer the manual. Anyway I haven’t been able to find any...
  2. S

ECU Pinout List 1Z Golf 3

Hi Guys I am have a power/ running problem with my car and have addressed the possible mechanical causes. So I am wanting to test the engine wiring harness to make sure it is fault free. Does anyone know where I can get a list of the pin numbers and applicable sensors for the ECU? At this point...
  3. S

New strut bearings seem tight???

Hi Guys Ive got the front struts out of my Mk 3 to replace the mounts, bearings and shocks. After rebuilding the struts and torquing the nut that hold the strut mount, bearing and upper spring seat in place, I notice the mount doesn't turn that easily. Feels a bit like rubber on metal and is...
  4. S

Front Strut Dust Boots

I have just received my set of Bilstein B4's for my 95 Golf. The OE struts have a plastic ring at just under the upper cap on the strut body that retains the lower end of the dust boot. The Bilstein's don't come with that retainer ring. Im thinking I might cut the top off the old struts so I...
  5. S

Control Arm Bolts

Thanks Guys, if I can get them cheap ill probably have them on hand as the originals may be rusted. Otherwise ill re-use. SN
  6. S

Control Arm Bolts

Its interesting, I was surprised to see that in the manual. It doesn't actually say "always replace" but generally who you see a pre-torque followed by a further turn by degrees then thats a stretch bolt which should be replaced. Might explain some breakages in these if they are used twice...
  7. S

Control Arm Bolts

I am replacing my front control arms. Bentley lists the front bolt as a stretch bolt (50nm + 1/4 turn), anyone know if the rear bolt is a stretch also. Both would be "always replace" so can you get them anywhere other than VW? SN
  8. S

Timing Belt Brands

Hi Chap Just wondering if anyone knows who produced the OE VW timing belts for the 1Z/AHU power plant. From what I'm led to believe it was Gates, anyone have any info on this?? SN
  9. S

Lower Control Arms with Bushes Installed

Ended up with Lemforder control arms from a UK seller on eBay. Received them today. They look the goods and are certainly Lemforder. All good. SN
  10. S

Roof Mouldings

Steve Yes I'm going to place the order with ECS. Not sure if they can actually get them as they are not in stock even though they are listed that way on their website. These rubbers are very easy to damage during removal as they have a metal strip through them that can be kinked at each clip if...
  11. S

Roof Mouldings

Here is a curly one, I recently had my windscreen replaced under insurance and the guy who did it stuffed up my roof mouldings. They have been refitted but they are all deformed. I hit the insurance company up and they said they will fit a new set. Only problem is the parts are listed as no...
  12. S

Lower Control Arms with Bushes Installed

Does anyone know a good place to buy lower control arms for my mk3 golf with the bushes installed in a brand like Lemforder or another quality brand? Trying to avoid you know who..... SN
  13. S

Anyone purchased from this seller?

Hi Chaps Just thought I would share a not so rewarding experience. I placed an order with Euro Car Parts in the UK for a bunch of suspension stuff. Paid in full. After a couple of email enquiries with no joy, a week later it still hadn't shipped so I asked them to cancel it which they did today...
  14. S

Engine Mount Brands

The numbers above are for the Mk3. The right rear is the hydraulic one. The rest appear to be rubber. I am ordering from suppliers in the UK so hopefully no china stuff. SN
  15. S

Engine Mount Brands

OK what about; 1/ Lemforder 2/ Hutchinson OE on these is very exxy. SN
  16. S

Engine Mount Brands

I am replacing the engine mounts in my 1996 Golf 1Z Tdi. Wondering of any of you have had any experience with the following brands that I am considering; Meyle Febi CRP Corteco Part numbers are; Front: 1H0 199 609J Left Rear: 3A0 199 402 Right Rear: 1H0 199 262L (Apparently Hydraulic) Cheers SN
  17. S

Front lower ball joint brands

Oilhammer Im replacing both the lower ball joints and the upper mounts and bearings, they are the originals still in it and pretty tired. Thanks for that I like the LEMFORDER joints, they look like good quality and I've heard not so good are Meyle, not sure why? SN
  18. S

Best clutch kit for my purpose

The guys at Darkside said they would have marked the TDC had I requested it. I believe its a G60 flywheel, quite heavy at 21lbs but the clutch plate and pressure plate I'm not so sure. The clutch plate has 8 springs, 2 in each set whereas the OE clutch only had 4. It runs super quiet...
  19. S

Front lower ball joint brands

Hi Guys Looking to replace my front lower ball joints on my Mk3 Golf. Brands on offer so far are Meyle, Lemforder and Febi Bilstein. Any advice or experience you have on these would be most appreciated. This is part of a total suspension overhaul. Cheers SN
  20. S

Best clutch kit for my purpose

Update, job was done today. Points of note; 1/ Original VW flywheel has the ring gear machined into it, all from one piece of metal. 2/ I used the Darkside flywheel without any issues, i'll mark TDC using a piston stop or other means at the next TB change. 3/ Very nice clutch under foot, feel...