Search results

1. S

Survey: cranking time to start engine?

My 2000 Jetta starts great when the temp is above 55 F or below 35 F. Between 35 and 55, though, it gets really cranky. I suspect that in those intermediate temps, the glow plugs don't come on quite long enough. Short of putting a pushbutton to trigger the glow plugs, I'm not quite sure what...
  2. S

Military fuel catalyst MPG test

<bump> Any results on this test as of yet? -Darryl 2000 Jetta GLS TDI
  3. S

Question about head replacement

Maybe I missed a thread somewhere else on this, but why replace the head? Is there something wrong with it that warrants its replacement? -Darryl
  4. S

timing belt change with lightweight flywheel

When I did my timing belt, I noted that the crankshaft timing belt pulley had an appropriate mark as well. I don't have pictures of it, but figuring that most mass-produced parts will have the same stampings, yours should too.... -Darryl
  5. S

Cold Starting Issues

I've had the same issue for a couple of years. I'm figuring it to be one or two bad glow plugs, and will be testing/changing them 'Real Soon Now'. I cycle the key a couple times, and it seems to make starting much easier. This morning, though, the car was a bit cranky. I'm north of Allentown...
  6. S

Dealers denying knowledge of known problems

I gotta say, my experience is the same. When my MAF went bad the first time, the service manager claimed that it was 'a very unusual problem'. So I strolled into the parts department, and asked how many TDI MAF's he sold. He confirmed that they go through several every week, and that he...
  7. S

Not for U.S. Sale: BMW 530d

Got a different reply: Dear Mr. Snover: Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding BMW's plans for Diesel technology for the United States. BMW is one of the most environmentally-conscious automobile companies in the world today. For the long-term, we believe that...
  8. S

Power Windows fix....

Hi All, Last week, my passenger side window nicely dropped into the door. No biggie, recall on the clips, scheduled a service call to the dealer. Anyhow, the car is getting its 'fix' today. When I get the car back, is there anything that I should be looking for to assure myself that the...
  9. S

Replace Steering wheel?

Very good. Did all the GTI's come with a three-spoke? How about model year interchange (probably most all are the same, but worth asking)? I like the sounds of a leather wrapped wheel.... -Darryl
  10. S

Replace Steering wheel?

As the mileage climbs, I've noticed several areas of wear on the steering wheel. I've always disliked the 4 spoke wheel, and would really like a 3 spoke, but don't wan't to give up the airbag. Has VW ever had a 3 spoke 'sport' wheel? If so, would it be a reasonable DIY swap? -Darryl 2000...
  11. S

taxing gasoline

The problem I have with _any_ new tax is that the government has proven time and time again that it doesn't know how to manage money. Although I don't have hard facts, I'd be willing to bet that of any tax that the money was to be used for something specific, that probably less than 20%...
  12. S

Mk5 Jetta/Bora

[ QUOTE ] [/ QUOTE ] If they release this with a TDI in the states, there will be a car worthy of trading my 2k Jetta for!
  13. S

Approved oil in Easton, PA area?

[ QUOTE ] Walmart on 248 has the Rotella synthetic 5W40 in gallon jugs. [/ QUOTE ] Now, how did I miss that??!! Cool... -Darryl
  14. S

[ QUOTE ] I am not too great with that part of PA, but try this link http://www.prod.mobil.com/mobil_lubes/onhighway/resource/truckdirectory_content.html= Tony [/ QUOTE ] Looks like Ambest in Bloomsbury NJ is the closest to me for this. I stopped at the local WalMart, but they don't appear...
  15. S

As the time comes for an oil change, it appears that the local autozone doesn't have the appropriate oil ( but they do have the filters ) for my 2000 Jetta TDI. Is there anyone with direct knowlege of where to get the proper oil, in the Easton, PA area? (apologies if this is not the correct...
  16. S

OEM Xenon Installation on 2002 Golf (Canadian car)

[ QUOTE ] Michael Moore said: Darryl: <snip> What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that if you drive mostly in a rural environment, where your eyes have the chance to adapt to the darkness (meaning, the iris opens up), then halogens are good enough. </snip> Michael [/ QUOTE ] That's what I...
  17. S

[ QUOTE ] Michael Moore said: Spaz: Information about the cost and the vendor for the lights is in the very first post at the top of the thread. Michael [/ QUOTE ] Duh. My bad. I forgot one of the fundamental laws of posting (RTFT)... Anyhow, my debate is which to install, ecodes or...
  18. S

Has anyone in the States installed these? I have been wanting to do this mod to my Jetta, but for bang for the buck, am probably going with the e-codes. What did this finally cost you?
  19. S

No brake lamps and flashing glow plug light....

Before you replace the switch, replace the bulbs. That was all I needed to do.... -Darryl
  20. S

Flashing glow plug light

When I had the flashing glow-plug light, it was the result of my brake light bulbs being burned out. Replaced the bulbs, and the flashing light went away. That being said, it could obviously be something more, but at least check your bulbs... -Darryl