Search results

1. C

Wett install trivia question

A trivia question for Wett chip owners. Does the tower / bridge belong on the 695 chip (outboard) or the 694 chip (inboard)? thanks in advance.
  2. C

Tiguan

Ok, this is funny. When you pull up the vw.com site, make sure the audio is on, and watch the new Tiguan start it's diesel motor, rev it up, do a donut, and then BOOMPF, it makes the exact same sound as my turbo did when it blew. Then the tailgate lifts while you wait for a tow truck. Wow...
  3. C

Turbo Extraction

When removing the exhaust manifold & turbo assy, do you extract it from on top, or from underneath? I have a Bentley's, but it's not very clear about that process... top: remove intake? yes/no? bottom: remove driveshaft?
  4. C

Adjust Timing question

Hey. Vag-Com says the timing values are 000 for position 2, and 110 for position 9 (fuel temp). To change position 2 from 000 to 050, do I advance, or retard the timing (to use Bentley language)? thanks.
  5. C

Need solution for bands around CV joint boot

I want to swap an outer CV joint. I don't have the replacement band or matching tool. Can you suggest something (that I could order?) There is KD 424 tool, but no matching bands. There is KD 3374, the OETIKER CLAMP PLIERS, but no band to go with.. arrgh. Side rant: Why do VW dealers not...
  6. C

How to extract Cam Seal and/or Main Crank Seal...

I'm in the middle of a TB change at 130k miles. I'm searching for threads/photos on removing the cam seal without mucking up the head, and likewise for the crankshaft seal (without buying the VW tool). Please advise, thanks in advance.
  7. C

Where to get B90 wheel bearing tool?

Hi. I need a B90 tool kit. Has anyone started a rental tool program on this? Otherwise, does anyone have a reasonably priced source for that tool?
  8. C

Rack & Pinion wear

At 130k miles, I guess I'm up for a new rack & pinion. With the wheel(s) off the ground, there is too much left-right play and thumping going on. Maybe 1/4" deflection or more. Tie rods look ok. Comments welcome. I really don't feel like buying this. Bentleys says unit is not serviceable.
  9. C

F350 Powerstroke SMOKES 11.42 Quarter-Mile

ABSOLUTELY SMOKINNNN! Yes; 11.42 @ 118.11 MPH Warning; file is 5mb
  10. C

OT: Large displacement diesel engines

This was too cool to not pass along. Sorry if it's a repeat: sample: 38 feet of 10 cyl, 2 stroke diesel power...
  11. C

Injector life...

What is service life of factory .185 injectors on a 90hp TDI? I'm over 100k miles now on 1999.5 Mk 4 Golf.
  12. C

Waterpump dies @ 96k mi.

Waterpump died at 96,000 miles on my 99 GLS. At first I thought it was just the thermostat, but then I realized that the recent episodes of "hard starting" are probably related. And I just had the belt replaced at 80k...
  13. C

Replacement Hood

If anyone knows of a source for replacement hood for a Mk4 Golf, preferably in either carbon or glass, could you please post it? I took major rock damage on the leading edge of the my OEM hood and I'd rather not "bondo" it... How about one with a hoodscoop Naca duct right above the...
  14. C

Need windshield

I was quoted $380 for a after-market replacement windshield on a 99 NG. Anyone know where I can beat that? VWparts.com doesn't list it.
  15. C

Holy Grail of diagnostics (pic)

Be the first on yer block with one of these bad boys!
  16. C

Air/Oil separator pic (did you clean this?)

Finally, i found the picture. If you bother to wash your Intercooler, don't forget to clean this one too. It's in the pass side wheel well, and the large end on the left attaches to the IC. This thing is pretty cool for OEM gizmos. The transition from small diameter to larger diameter slows...
  17. C

Tool jackpot at Kragen

I found several tools at Kragen tonite; 17 mm nut-driver to remove drain and fill plugs for manual trans $3.50 Set of (4) drivers of metric 12-point internal drivers (includes mandatory 8mm size to remove CV joints). under $10. Brand name is "Powerbuilt" of Long Beach, CA.
  18. C

Alert: Car quits with new style 109 relay

Ok guys, problem time. Believe it or not, my car crapped out at VW Driverfest2k today. PMO. Background, dealer replaced 109 relay in June under warranty. But they put in a repeat bogus old part. I had a spare new style in the car today. Symptom: After car has been parked, start car...
  19. C

Arco and Cheron Press releases

just some debris I thought I'd post: 1. Arco ECDiesel (higher cetane) http://www.bpamoco.com/pressoffice/pressrelease.asp?PressReleaseID=572 2. Chevron Premo Diesel: http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/bulletin/diesel/l2%5F5%5F2%5Frf.htm
  20. C

Canola car makes newswire

http://www.toledoblade.com/editorial/news/0g18oil.htm --------------- Teen's canola-oil car yields 'celebrity,' honors July 18, 2000