Search results

1. jackbombay

Electric vehicles (EVs), their emissions, and future viability

Its also incorrect design with regards to passive solar, eave length needs to be determined by roof pitch window height and latitude. No eaves gives you solar gain when you don't need it, and also drops all the rain water/snow/snowmelt right along the edge of your building.
  2. jackbombay

So much for the 90 minute rule! 90 minute rule is largely BS anyway though. How'd you end up with 40 yards sitting on site getting hot? Issues with the first truck? Bad scheduling with the plant? Or did the plant blow it?
  3. jackbombay

Most truck sales are based on emotion, "I feel safe", and not based on need. I've build two homes for myself, I actually did %90+ of the work, by myself, I built the first one using a 1984 Volvo 245 to haul materials with a trailer, and I built the second one with my 2003 TDI. I use...
  4. jackbombay

And dumb people buy trucks, if only Tesla's were popular with dumb people?
  5. jackbombay

fuel door testing with vag com

If the fuel door still opens just cut off the tab that the locking mechanism latches too. Do people actually steal fuel?
  6. jackbombay

Your post seemed to imply that they already owned an EV and they would sell it for an ICE, but I see it can be interpreted otherwise.
  7. jackbombay

Doubtful, the lack of maintenance combined with a silent powerful car that never needs to be filled up has to be hard to give up.
  8. jackbombay

It was with a tune set up to spin to 6000 intentionally.
  9. jackbombay

That why I decided to be happy with a + %50 tune! Plus, I drive in a manner that heals engines, my sprinter had very high aluminum in the UOAs when I got it :-( But with my maintenance schedule and driving habits the aluminum in mu UOAs is now well below average.
  10. jackbombay

Thats a lot more than "replacing the battery". I was somewhere around double HP on mine for a bit, but its been at about +%50 for some time now, but I don't take it to the track. I'm at 250k miles and oil consumption is still minimal, I'll be surprised if I don't get 500k out of the engine.
  11. jackbombay

Didn't you also rebuild the engine, and still had high oil consumption after the rebuild due to ovalized cylinders so you had to get a new block?
  12. jackbombay

IDParts Complete Lower Control arms w/ TT bushings...question?

I bought my 2003 new, and I replaced the LCAs not long ago at ~240,000 miles, nothing was failing, but I was doing new springs shock and struts anyway, so wanted all new suspension. I doubt you'll have the car long enough for it to matter that the bushings may have been pressed in dry.
  13. jackbombay

///// Cannon Ball run in a jetta tdi ?? ////

Right? Theres a reason people do it in very fast aerodynamic vehicles. Average speeds plummet easily and without going way over 100 MPH, they aren't at all willing to come back up.
  14. jackbombay

///// Cannon Ball run in a jetta tdi ?? ////

What truck is this?
  15. jackbombay

No, this is not a real world situation, there is absolutely no NEED to ever do 0-60 in 2 seconds on a public road, I don't care if people do it, but if you to think there is a need for it, and for you to believe that 0-60 dropping to 4-5 seconds is some sort of dangerous situation is just flat...
  16. jackbombay

Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

And plenty of people want that, and based on how poorly most people drive I'm fully in favor of self driving cars.
  17. jackbombay

Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

Rotary dial phones are more reliable than those new fangled phones with buttons! Brakes on the tesla don't get worked nearly as hard as a normal car. How much smaller are those cars than a model 3? About 10" shorter than a 3, and 5" narrower than a 3 according to google. Comparing...
  18. jackbombay

About to change flywheel, got very n00b question

They make a clutch tool, pretty cheap, or I'm sure somebody here on TDI club has figured out and posted a way to do it without buying a tool you'll only use once...
  19. jackbombay

Gassers vs diesel - short tripping terrible commute.

Casual pace on a bike for non bikers on levelish asphalt is ~12 MPH. Google maps has a "bike directions option" and often times it has some nice ways to get you off busy roads, but I imagine you're pretty familiar with the area, but it's worth seeing what google comes up with.
  20. jackbombay

Koni FSD strut failure

That would have been a bummer, but, I did need new struts anyway so whats a guy to do? At 120k miles one of the fronts had leaked out a lot of oil and was making a bunch of noise, hard to imagine they wouldn't warranty that, but paying up front did make me a bit nervous.