Search results

1. V

Alternator Replacement (form/fit/function question)

2002 ALH Wagon, WVW Build with 111k miles, My alternator light just started coming on intermittently, but only when the revs get over 2500-ish. Scangauge reads 13.9-14.1 when I first start it, but after 30 minutes of driving, it's dropped to 13.6-13.7 Over 2500 RPMs, light blinks/goes solid...
  2. V

Alternator pulley tool broke. What now?

So I figured that this would be a nice snowy day project. I have the "do it in place" Metalnerd tool, and new pulley for my 02 ALH. Get everything apart no problem. The Pulley is supposed to turn CCW to come off (meaning the outer 15mm part), but it won't budge. I make sure everything's...
  3. V

Normal Coolant Temperatures (Scangauge folks)

What coolant temperatures are your scangauges reporting? I'll preface by saying that my idiot gauge is dead center, my heat works fine, and the car doesn't take an unusually long time to warm up. In the DC area, with temps in the 30's to 40's (F), The scangauge shows I'm averaging 170-175F...
  4. V

Scangauge Fuel Economy inconsistencies.

I've had my SG2 for about 6 months. Speed calibration is dead on, and fuel is D1. I calibrated for my typical commute, which allows quite a bit of downhill coasting (neutral... the hills aren't sufficient for 5th gear overrun coasting), and my correction value is -16.5%. Fuel economy is...
  5. V

Lots of TDIs in Springdale UT (Zion)

On vacation... saw a plethora of TDIs in Springdale... 2 wagons... both TDIs. Almost every other VW there was also an oil burner. I was pimping a rented Dodge Caliber CVT. Very embarrassing.
  6. V

Brake Booster, Blowing air???

Background. I have the "Slowly Sinking Brake Pedal" I also believe that I have intermittant, mild power loss, but it's never a total dog. Unplugging the MAF makes it really slow. And I'd like to believe that my economy should be a bit better than it is. If I drive it like I stole it... I get...
  7. V

Different Oils => Bio-D?

I guess it wouldn't be Bio-D if the oil isn't Bio-based... but I'm not sure where else to ask... Is there a way to refine either White Mineral Oil or Dielectric oil (Exxon Univolt for example) into something that can be burned in the TDI. Is it something that can be burned straight like a WVO...
  8. V

WTB: Mk3 Bilstein Sport/HD Front Struts.

Models VE3-4391, VE3-4392, VE3-4395 or VE3-4396. (Mk3 VR6 or 4-cyl.... Sport or HD. But not TC's.) These are the "newer" variety with the pistons that are nearly as large as the bodies, and have a bolt on the bottom. I need them for a custom revalve job, so actual application, or high...
  9. V

FS: Set of 16" Rave Wheels, DC area. *DELETED*

FS: Set of 16\" Rave Wheels, DC area. *DELETED* Gone...
  10. V

Erronious Red Flashing Coolant Light on Startup?

I've gotten the red flashing coolant light a few times before, but only when it's been 10F or below. It doesn't seem to reset, but once the car warms up a bit, I can cycle power and it doesn't come back. But the past 2 days, it's barely been into the low 30's, and I've gotten it. Coolant is...
  11. V

Awful Mileage. Only 42 mpg on the highway.

Can anyone tell me what might be wrong? 2 kayaks, Thule Evolution 1200 Luggage box (full) on 58" rails (and the box has plenty of room to open), me, the wife, and 3, 80 pound puppies. I think I need some injectors. The poor thing was sluggish. FWIW... With the Box only, on 50" rails, I...
  12. V

Double Din, Non-Monsoon Setup screen?

I searched around and didn't find anything. Yesterday morning, I noticed that when I press the Dolby and Cassette Eject buttons simultaniously, and hold them for 3 seconds, the radio goes into a setup screen. The only thing I saw was, "Speed Sensitive Volume", or something like that. The...
  13. V

Wintermode: Golf Wagon w/ B4 VR6 Passat Wheels.

Slightly larger tires (205/65-15 Sempreit Sport Grip) seem to make a big visual difference on an otherwise stock wagon.
  14. V

Headlight wiring diagrams needed - Golf/Jetta Swap

I need to make my Jetta Wagon's headlight wiring utilize both bulbs on my Golf front end. I've asked/searched for this info previously, but had a few difficulties getting the dash apart, and then left the country for a while, and have lost most of the good information I had. But now, the dash...
  15. V

Parts Gurus... 12V Outlets?

Where can I get the 12V outlets that the Mk4's have? The ones with the snap covers? I've looked at the part itself, and searched my parts lists, and can't find anything definate. A junkyard is an option, if there were any good ones close to me, but I'd still like to know where to get them...
  16. V

Golf Variant?

Finally unearthed from all the snow, and washed... The Used-to-be Jetta, converted to Golf Variant. Finally... I'm not a Jetta Trixie anymore. The Wet Okoles: Some more, older pics, HERE
  17. V

Hi-Low Beam control between Jetta and Golf?

I just did the Jetta/Golf front end swap on my "Used to be a Jetta" Variant. The swap went well, with one small hitch. The Golf wiring powers both Hi and Low at the same time. The Jetta wiring does not. So, we're currently backwards, and he can't use his highbeams until we figure out which...
  18. V

Did I get the right Oil? (Dealer 5k Change)

First... I musta missed the fine print, and wasn't aware that 2002 cars aren't under free service for the first 2 years. Oh well... live and learn. $105 for an oil change, and for them to let 5 psi out of all my tires... But, since the car was already there, and I am going away this weekend...
  19. V

After 4 months of waiting...

It's finally here. 2002, Variant, 5-speed, Reflex. Lux (which I could have done without...) The only real mod is the Convex Drivers side mirror. Mud Flaps, and Moulded Mats aren't real mods... I only got the base Double Din radio, and that thing is LOUD. How do I know if they accidentally...