Search results

1. Ghastly

FS Vancouver Canada, BFI engine mounts, yellow, MK4 Jetta

Black Forest Industries yellow engine mount and inserts for MK4 Jetta. Only used for 1000km because it turned my engine into a jackhammer. Really loud. If you like loud, you can buy them for a 6-pack of good IPA. Local sale only - no shipping...
  2. Ghastly

tons of "No Communication" errors - engine, trans, ABS, airbags, steering, cent conv.

tons of "No Communication" errors - engine, trans, ABS, airbags, steering, cent conv. Hi, I hope some can help me figure out this problem. I have a 2009 JSW with 94680 km-58831 miles. About 6 months ago the MIL light came on. I finally got the HEX-NET tool from Ross and scanned the car. It had...
  3. Ghastly

opinions/advice please, BEW camshaft inspection w/pics

The car is a 2004 BEW Jetta with 190,000 km (120k miles). The chamfer on the edge of the lobes seemed to be OK, no sharp edge. The high point of each lobe had concentric pattern of ovals reflections on it, not sure what that means. The 3rd pic down shows the ovals. Please let me know what you...
  4. Ghastly

retain ASV when using PD150 intake on a PD100 BEW

Steet Toys sells an "Anti Shudder Valve Adaptor for BEW/BKD/BKC Engines". It lets you retain the stock ASV when using a PD150 intake on a North American PD100 BEW. Has anyone installed this? I'm curious to see a photo of an install if any one feels like posting it. :)...
  5. Ghastly

exhaust wrap downpipe bad?

I just bought an IDparts downpipe and I'm thinking of wrapping it before install to keep the noise down. It's ss304 so it won't rust, but will the elevated temps (caused by the wrap) affect the metallurgy and lead to cracking? From this forum, 1600F is the max EGT the turbo should see, which...
  6. Ghastly

what are the symptoms of a bent selector fork?

my manual transmission isn't happy. I'd like to know what are the symptoms of a bent selector fork.
  7. Ghastly

Mistake Removed Gear Selector Cover with Car in Reverse

Hi, In the vendor & group buy forum, there's a thread about replacing your shifter tower bearing: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=340567 In comment #27, there's a link to a Vortex DIY that uses a 3/4 bolt to drift out the bearing...
  8. Ghastly

Shifter Tower Bushing Replacement

I installed the Dieselgeek short shifter about a year ago, and it made a big improvement to the feel of the shifter. But the bushings in the shift tower are sloppy, and I'd like to upgrade or replace them. I haven't looked too close yet but there seems to be; the big ball half way down the shift...
  9. Ghastly

Downpipe advice ~ do I want a new catalytic converter too?

I'd like to get a 2.5" downpipe, either the ugly pipe from Kerma, or the one from idparts. Both places offer a Magnaflow cat that fits their pipe. My primary goal is to get the VNT-17 turbo to spool up a little sooner, I'm not too worried about exhaust temperature. I don't want to delete the cat...
  10. Ghastly

Changing rear axle bushing, bolt won't come out because it hits fuel tank

The nut on the passenger side rear axle bolt is on the outside of the car. So the bolt has to be withdrawn towards the centerline of the car. But I can't get it out because it collides with the fuel tank, with 2 inches still inside the bushing. No amount of wiggling and pushing seems to give...
  11. Ghastly

WTB ~ passenger side air conditioning vent

to fit my 2004 Jetta
  12. Ghastly

Improving steering feel

I was just reading here, and on uk-mkivs.net, that you can adjust the steering assist with vag-com. They say if you back off on the "assist" you'll get heavier, but better road feel. From the chassis tab in vag-com go 44 - Steering Assist. I think the steering on my car is too light, so I...
  13. Ghastly

should I replace subframe bushings?

Car is 2004 Jetta sedan with 160,000km. I'm doing a refresh of all suspension bushings except the subframe bushings. Are the subframe bushings likely to be toast? Should I order the parts and do it all at the same time? I really want make the front-end as tight as possible. Please advise!
  14. Ghastly

rattle at idle, possible harmonic balancer, what else?

A few days ago on a cold morning, I noticed a rattle when I started the car. It's only there at idle, it goes away at all other rpms. Reading here on the forums suggests it could be the harmonic balancer on the end of the crank shaft. How can I confirm the diagnosis? Could it be something else...
  15. Ghastly

N75 Duty Cycle Oscillation with Graph!

I logged the 011 group and did a quick 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear run. There's an oscillation in the N75 duty cycle, and duty cycle leads actual boost response by 1.5 seconds in 2nd gear, and 0.5 seconds in 3rd and 4th. Is that normal? I'm also worried that I'm over boosting, but I'm not confident...
  16. Ghastly

test N75 > VCDS > Measuring Blocks > Switch to basic Settings > "Greyed Out"

test N75 > VCDS > Measuring Blocks > Switch to basic Settings > "Greyed Out" I want to test turbo actuator function by getting VCDS cycle the N75 valve. I *think* I need to go here: Select Control Module > 01-Engine > Measuring Blocks > Switch to basic Settings But "Switch to basic Settings"...
  17. Ghastly

overboost on 2004 BEW PD, turbo actuator behavior

Hi, my car (see sig) is over boosting as per 011 block VCDS logs I took. I'm seeing up to 2600 mbar, which is about 30.5 psi gauge. Max should be 24 psig to go with my VNT-17, which is 6 months old. I want to test if the turbo actuator is getting enough vacuum to do it's job. As per a posting...
  18. Ghastly

Me Too!!! ~ Quick Stall and Start-up While Driving

I saw that rocketeer928 has a near identical problem under the subject "Quick Stall and Start-up While Driving". Rather than hijack his thread, I'm starting this one. My engine either stutters or dies completely. When it stutters, the glow plug light comes on momentarily and then disappears...
  19. Ghastly

Noobie question about KP39 turbo operation

I've searched and read till my head wants to pop. Like Mick Jagger said, "I can't get no satisfaction". what's the purpose of the smart actuator in the BEW KP39 turbo? Is it really needed? Can it be deleted? why delete it? what's the purpose of the vane position sensor? Is it really needed? Can...