Search results

1. DoctorDawg

Info, please: Pointers to Gas-In-Diesel acceptable limits data?

Well, work begins here in Dawg's Dungeon workshop to attempt to prototype a "diesel fuel quality sensor". I won't go into any details of the concept, for the time being, because if it proves to work well I fully intend to attempt to patent the idea. Discussing it in a public forum such as this...
  2. DoctorDawg

Diesel fuel emulsions

Here's an idea whose time has come (and gone): http://www.wrapair.org/forums/msf/projects/offroad_diesel_retrofit/V2-S12_Final_11-18-05.pdf
  3. DoctorDawg

A site to register 'bad fuel' warranty denial incidents

A friend of mine just now set this up: www.VeeDubBadFuelWarrantyDenials.info My friend says that those of you who support this nascent effort and who have web sites of your own can help by including a link to that URL on your web pages, to help it get onto Google faster.... Me, I'm just a...
  4. DoctorDawg

Why doesn't "Clear all DTCs" clear all DTCs?

I dunno, maybe I'm being overly literal in expecting VCDS's "Clear All DTCs" function to actually do that.... For the past year, ever since I got VCDS, I've scanned for codes once every three or four months. And I've always had one for the digital radio and five for the speakers, which I've...
  5. DoctorDawg

Hybrid Diesel 2WD Land Rover coming?

Verrrrrry interesting...but plug-ugly! http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/18/land-rover-says-it-is-working-on-diesel-hybrid-two-wheel-drive/
  6. DoctorDawg

40K fuel filter change: what I found, and what I learned

First, what I found (inside the fuel filter canister): nuthin' but diesel...no rust, no metal particles...precisely the same situation I observed at my 10K, 20K, and 30K fuel filter changes (yes, I change every 10K, but I do not argue that this is essential). So chalk up one '09 at 40K with a...
  7. DoctorDawg

DSG 40K service: "Everything Is Negotiable"

What with my '09 coming up on 40K miles it is time to start thinking about the DSG oil change...the only PM task I just don't care to do myself. So I called my stealership today and asked the service manager for their price on ONLY a DSG oil/filter change (no other service). He put me on hold...
  8. DoctorDawg

Workin' at the car wash blues....

OK, so, after nearly 50 years of washing my cars I discovered today that I've been doing it all wrong. Oh, I know all about the wonders of microfiber cloths, and I wash in the shade, and wipe dry before it can spot, and all that basic stuff. But when it comes to selecting a soap for car washing...
  9. DoctorDawg

Why I won't change my air filter this week

Last week I promised myself that I'd service my Jetta while I'm on vacation this week, including changing the air filter. But then, this Sunday, the pollen-fall commenced. If you've never lived in the pines in the SE U.S., you prolly can't imagine how bad it is...the air so thick with pollen...
  10. DoctorDawg

Any watch-outs when jump-starting another car w/ a CR TDI?

Ran across a damsel in distress today in the parking lot. Dead battery (she thought) and indeed it would not turn over and there were no lights. I was a little leery about jump-starting her car with my TDI, just worried that with all the dang computers onboard something on my car might object to...
  11. DoctorDawg

Fresh out of warranty, first Fail on my '09

Happily, it is incredibly minor and easy to fix. The trunk lid wiring runs along the left-hand hinge mechanism and is prevented from getting pinched in the hinge by a cheap black plastic clip-plate-thing...which yesterday decided to detach itself and get caught in the hinge as I closed the...
  12. DoctorDawg

Shocker: my '09 is worth more than I owe on it!

Noticed this weekend that the Pentagon Federal Credit Union has a program to refinance '09+ original-owners' auto loans at 3.99%. So I applied online. As part of the process they automatically check and display the Blue Book value, which for me came in at something like $22,800. Pretty sweet...
  13. DoctorDawg

Near-end-of-warranty autoscan - is this fault a concern?

103 miles to end of basic warranty on my '09. Just ran an autoscan w/ VCDS. First time I've seen a fault doing this. I'm not willing to go into the dealer just for a fault but no actual trouble, unless the wise heads here tell me this is trouble coming and needs to be reported before warranty...
  14. DoctorDawg

Long-term DPF data project

The diesel particulate filter (DPF) is prolly the single most mis-understood and worry-inducing new feature of the '09-'10 CR engines. In an effort to bring more understanding to bear, I've started a long-term data collection effort using VCDS. Every day after my commute home (while the engine...
  15. DoctorDawg

Can a Frostheater reduce my total energy consumption?

OK, so, one of my many hobbies is attempting to reduce my total energy consumption as much as I can without sacrificing quality-of-life or convenience by adopting appropriate technologies...which is one of the reasons why I drive a TDI. And lately I've been wondering whether a Frostheater would...
  16. DoctorDawg

'09 Sleuthing: Please post your engine break-in experience here

Let me start by saying that I am not stating a belief here, I'm just toying with an idea...a question, really...and seeking others' thoughts. Here it is. While I don't subscribe to the 'oh my god the CR TDI is a technology nightmare doomed to self-destruct in the next 20 miles' hysteria that...
  17. DoctorDawg

Weird / surprising / useful factoids from my new Bentley manual

This thread will be home to posts discussing anything that strikes me as really weird as I wade through my newly-released 1000+ page '09-'10 Jetta Bentley manual. Apologies in advance if everybody but me already knew this stuff. Factoid #1 (Towing Eye): "Most towing eyes thread into mounting...
  18. DoctorDawg

What's up with VW's VIN database?

Just received my annual automotive property tax statement from the county...and it thinks my '09 Jetta is a Beetle. Similarly, I just recently noticed that my auto insurance company thinks my Jetta is a two-door, and a gasser. Both organizations have the correct VIN number for my car. I assume...
  19. DoctorDawg

I'm going to have to pass on this....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8349923.stm