Search results

1. T

coming up on 300K miles.

You can always make a counterhold tool out of flat bar which is what I did. Didn't cost much and not alot of work drilling and cutting the holes. I taped rags to the top where my hands would be while holding it. Crude but it works. [/IMG]
  2. T

coming up on 300K miles.

Alot of people look to change out the oil pump and chain/tensioner after 300k. The tensioner is plastic and would be the weak link of these parts but once you are in there might as well change all 3.
  3. T

My fallen headliner

Its not that bad of a job to do yourself especially if you don't have a sunroof.
  4. T

The 500k club!!

Bought new on 10-23-01. As I look back at the work I have done on it, it really has been a reliable and low cost to maintain vehicle as well as being fun to drive. Things that have been replaced include: 1 Starter 1 Clutch 1 Used transmission 1 Turbo 1 Replace camshaft & lifters 1 Complete...
  5. T

The 500k club!!

As of yesterday I am a member of the club. :D [/IMG]
  6. 500k

7. T

large idler pulley bolt questionf

Yeah, me either.
  8. T

WTB: #3 injector hard line. Leaking

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Injection-Pump-Fuel-Lines-1-9-TD-99-04-VW-Jetta-Golf-Mk4-Beetle-Genuine-/311783847377?hash=item4897c3f5d1:g:diUAAOSw2xRYgT6z&vxp=mtr...
  9. T

Blew my timing belt... need help!

Take one thing at a time. First remove the head, you definitely have damage there. From that point you will be able to manually rotate the engine and inspect the piston movement/height and have a better idea of the amount of damage.
  10. T

500,000 miles!

Congratulations, I hope to join the club in the club soon.
  11. T

Overdue strut replacement

483k. Hoping for half million by September.
  12. T

Finding TDC on #1 cylinder for timing belt help

I find the timing mark hard to see as well so I use an artists paint brush and a bright color mark on the tooth closest to the mark so I can tell when I am at the area. Then I still have to look closer and use a good light. Eyes are not as good as they used to be.
  13. T

Replace Expansion Valve??

If I have never replaced it before and I have the system depressured I replace the expansion valve. Easy to remove and replace and not expensive. It may not be necessary but thats what I do. The drier yes every time the system is broken into I replace it.
  14. T

Where do you splice in a new ABS sensor?

I wish I would have seen your post earlier as I found a new one on ebay for $50 bucks VW brand. I hated spending that much but new ones were almost twice that. Also for others that this happens to I see they sell the connector head on idparts for around 10 bucks if that is damaged. I appreciate...
  15. T

There is no wire on the connector end that I can see at least. The connector stayed attached while the wires pulled out of it.
  16. T

They are great shocks and struts. The rears only lasted 273k and one of those went out 155k later but the fronts are awesome. Stock on the car had too much body roll around turns and the HD's tightened everything up. They are a bit more expensive now than when I first bought them so I went with...
  17. T

Finally got around to changing my shocks and struts on my 01 Golf this weekend and found the passenger side one had alot of wear and the bearing was damaged to say the least. The struts are Bilstein HD's I put on in 03 and they have 416k on them. I guess I got my moneys worth on them. :D
  18. IMG_20170319_142900939_1_

IMG_20170319_142900939_1_

Bilstein HD's
  19. T

Changing out struts this weekend and I tore the ABS sensor wires from the connector head on the passenger side of my 01 Golf. Looking at pics of replacements it looks like they have alot of wire, well past where it goes into the wheel well. I pried open a hard plastic protector piece by the...
  20. T

Hood flys up while driving

I received my new hood latch and changed it out today. It looks like the spring was broken, I guess that explains the sloppiness in the way it felt. The pic below shows the new one compared to the old one. By the way what does the microswitch that is attached to the lock do? Bentley did not...