Search results

1. J

And yet another Toyota swap, but M-Tdi.

Chkn, Sorry for the lack of updates, just too busy. No timing spring updates as I haven't found a good source for them. If anyone has some that they'd be willing to part with shoot me a PM. I'd like to test a few of the IDI pump timing springs, from research it seems that there are at...
  2. J

Fabricating your own 1.9l tdi to toyota transmission adapter?

That's a good drawing but.. it is missing the two Toyota alignment dowel locations. And while I would say it's close I happen to know it is not spot on. I drew that picture up in CAD after I found it floating around the Web 5 years ago and cut it out of sheet metal with CNC plasma and the...
  3. J

'84 Toyota Truck 1Z TDI Swap

Yeah. Mine only made noise when I had my foot on the clutch pedal, even if I was just resting it there between shifts. When I depressed the clutch the sound became a lower pitch grumble. Now that it is all centered, quiet. Thanx for your input Jimmy. Jaysin
  4. J

What I meant is that with the old Acme adapter I had a noise when I stepped on the clutch and now that the Acme has been replaced the noise is gone. I believe that the noise that I heard with the Acme was the throw out bearing as it was wearing into the clutch fingers. It doesn't make any...
  5. J

Exhaust sound tuning

This is my thought too. I like that a cat will help with some emissions and it will also quiet the sound a wee bit mostly in the high notes. I have run two smog gassers with just cats and they have a nice rumble. My friend has a late model Mustang that has gutted cats and it is super raspy and...
  6. J

92 4Runner V6 ALH Swap

The centering of the adapter has nil to do with the clutches not holding the torque of the TDi. The misalignment causes premature failure of various parts but it is simply lack of holding power of the Toyota clutches that is the problem. Just not enough friction area. If you do what Jimmy and...
  7. J

MPG on Conversions

Pickups in general just have bad aero, partly because of air going under the vehicle but also because of the fact that the frontal area of a pickup is very big (compared to most cars) and there isn't much you can do to get around that. Then you also add that most pickups have near vertical...
  8. J

So I wanted to talk about this but had no time this morning. I have tested coil bind height on the two springs I have and they bind at the same height even though the e-TDi spring is much taller when unloaded. And as far as I can tell the spring seat depth is very close to the same in both the...
  9. J

Sounds great, I'll PM you my address this afternoon as I am on the way out the door. Jaysin
  10. J

Actually they should be checked out for spring rates too. While a different style of injection they are VW spec. And do not use any outside timing like the e-TDi does. If you want I would be happy to test them just make sure that they have the pump number with them so other people could order...
  11. J

I am very glad to hear that everything is back up and running. I have to say that there isn't much that is as good as a Toyota pickup with a TDi engine. I did mean to ask you a question though. When I first got my truck up and running with the Acme adapter I noticed that when I stepped on...
  12. J

Yeah more data won't hurt that's for sure. The catch to that is we will really need the spring rate of that spring to make a good comparison. If you or anyone else has any extra timing advance springs they're willing to donate to the cause I have access to a spring scale so I can measure their...
  13. J

First a big thanx to kajikidu for giving me a good deal on a Diesel pulse timing light adapter for my m-TDi conversion. It works great so far. Now some info on the dynamic timing advance for those that go the m-TDi route. When I built my pump I went with the current info that I could find (at...
  14. J

MPG on Conversions

I vote for the Waynes World Pacer or a Gremlin. Both are cooler then a pinto and I think you'd score hipster points at the same time. Of course then you'd have to start drinking PBR too. Haha. Jaysin
  15. J

4Runner is getting the TDi treatment

You'll wear it out before it warms up. These motors make very little heat and you will need to drive it nicely to get it up to temperature. After cleaning an intake manifold on a car with the egr in place I would say that you should ditch that thing. While I could clean the manifold I...
  16. J

MPG on Conversions

I haven't looked into those transmissions, how do their gear ratios compare to the Toyotas? In particular the first gear and overdrive. Jaysin
  17. J

96 Tacoma ALH TDI swap

Jim, Was that truck parked IN the ocean for some time? Just kidding, you must live in the rust belt. I had thought it was a pain to fix the rust in the floor of my 83 Pickup but my frame was solid. Nice work repairing the frame. Very nice engine mounts as well. Do the think the stock Taco...
  18. J

I for one can't wait for that El Nino weather. And I also look forward to seeing your truck back on the road. Jaysin
  19. J

So I have been driving it around, all over the place really. The VNT controller seems to be working great. The roads around me don't really qualify as flat but on the flattest roads I have driven on at cruise the boost is running 3-5 psi (As soon as I step on it the boost jumps right up) and...
  20. J

Yeah!! It will feel good to have it back on the road, I know I feel great having mine up and running again. Please let me know how that adapter works for you. Jaysin