Search results

1. D

Smyth UTE - the MKIV Jetta/Golf Pickup Conversion kit is HERE!

I have a MKIV wagon that I have no intention of cutting up, but I wanted to chime in to say that this kit looks GREAT! I'm really impressed, and can't wait to see customer pictures when TDIClub members get ahold of these! Keep up the good work!
  2. D

2003 bluetooth retrofit?

I ended up getting the unit I talked about above and I'm very happy with it. Install was very simple, and once I decided on if and how I was going to place the microphone, that was easy too. Sound quality is far better than the tape adapter I'd been using, and my phone connects when the car is...
  3. D

2003 bluetooth retrofit?

Just as an update, people might be interested in this: http://enfigcarstereo.com/DENSION_GBL3VW1.html Adds Bluetooth (hands free calling and high quality music protocols), an aux input (headphone jack), and USB port (read music from USB sticks) all via the CD changer functionality of the...
  4. D

2003 bluetooth retrofit?

That is the most promising option I've seem so far. Do you have a link or anything? Price?
  5. D

2003 bluetooth retrofit?

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but it seemed a relevant place to ask this question: I have a 2003 Jetta with the Monsoon sound system in it, and I would like to add the ability to play music from my phone through the car stereo. I don't care if it enables hands-free calling or not, I want to...
  6. D

Audi A3 1.6 TDI Ultra 74 mpg - too slow for US?

This makes me happy I don't live in a place where there isn't enough space to build on-ramps. Seriously, if your little car can't do it without considerably more power than is necessary in normal driving, how do they think box trucks are going to handle it? Or worse, tractor-trailers? That...
  7. D

Audi A3 1.6 TDI Ultra 74 mpg - too slow for US?

Would love to see the 1.6, even though I'm never giving up my '03 wagon. Don't know why there is this craze for power... 90hp is enough for me. Would more be nice? Oh sure! But I'm not going to sacrifice mileage. Since when is 10 seconds to 60mph bad for a street car? Edit: Wow, that...
  8. D

Hopes of a diesel pick-up

Too bad they changed the CAFE rules. If I could find a Ford Ranger or a Toyota Tacoma with a 3.0L turbo diesel, I think I might have to buy it. We need a truck, but we don't need a monster. As it is, you can't buy anything BUT monsters.
  9. D

The pros and cons of diesel cars

Not one of the greatest insightful articles ever written, but it captures some useful information in a format short enough for the Twitter generation.
  10. D

Finally...800 Mile Club!

I just got my first 800 mile tank! It was combined city and highway, biased towards highway, and I went 830 miles with just over a 16 gallon fill up, for a tank average of 51.2mpg. I'm just tickled to death. :-). It should go up just a bit if my new smooth wheel covers pan out. Thank heavens...
  11. D

40,000 mile service = $650???

What is so expensive about the DSG service? They're just changing the fluid, right? Surely that won't be costly unless the thing requires super premium Teutonic gnome fluids...
  12. D

CNET pro diesel clip

That was a great video! Nice to see some positive information out there to compete with all the misinformation leftover from 1970...
  13. D

Next Audi A4 to get plug-in hybrid gasoline and TDI Diesel options

I like what I'm seeing, even if it will be wildly out of my price range. It looks like by the time I manage to wear out my Jetta, most manufacturers will have a good bit of experience with plugin hybrids at the least, and it will likely be a mature technology. You British are lucky stiffs. :-)
  14. D

Why isn't there a DIESEL HYBRID? (TDI + Electric Motor)

I wish they would just stop loafing about (heh!) and improve battery technology so we can stop with the hybrid nonsense and use plug-in cars exclusively. In the meantime, I suppose I will have to content myself with the hope that they stop increasing the emissions standards before it becomes...
  15. D

Why isn't there a DIESEL HYBRID? (TDI + Electric Motor)

I must be the only one that really likes the idea of a plug-in hybrid with a backup diesel generator rather than a diesel engine supplemented by an electric motor, because I've never seen it discussed. It's hard to get more efficient electrical generation on a small scale than a diesel...
  16. D

Mildly entertaining conversation with a NJ pump jockey about diesel cars.

Good God, what kind of busybodies would make a rule like that? I don't understand all these people who desire to control the actions of others...
  17. D

Chevy Cruze Diesel a direct competitor to the Jetta TDI

You know, I never did look at those roadster cars with any scrutiny, but I will say that the Saturn version was more attractive by far than the Pontiac. If I were selecting based on appearance alone, I would rather have the Saturn version of the Opel than a Miata.
  18. D

Manual or DSG?

If you can drive stick, do it. The only downsides to a manual transmission rest with the ability of the driver, whereas any automatic is going to take away control, decrease fuel mileage, be more likely to fail, and need more maintenance. EDIT: I live smack in the middle of the Appalachian...
  19. D

EA288 confirmed across the board by year end

This is one reason I'm keeping my '03 wagon... I haven't seen any vehicles come out that are meaningful improvements in any significant way, and I've seen many that are a downgrade. I suppose I'm going to have to try to keep up with what vehicles are designed to last. Perhaps someday I'll have...
  20. D

Chevy Cruze Diesel a direct competitor to the Jetta TDI

Interesting... the Mazda doesn't have a urea tank. I wonder if it has a DPF?