Search results

1. C

The passing of a long time TDIclub member, Brian Hague (alphaseinor)

Was floored when Rachel answered my text last night and told me about Brian. I've know Brian since he his original shop over in Frisco, before he moved things to Denton. We had a few emails going back and forth over the last couple of years after he moved to SA, but they had been mostly...
  2. C

Salvage value lol...

On certain vehicles, I'll keep full coverage, with a $500 deductible until the insurance cost exceeds about 1/10th the replacement value for a similar vehicle. In the case of my 2004 Audi A8L, insurance runs about 900$ a year. Replacement is about 10-14k$ right now, so this next year I'll look...
  3. C

Radio Draining the Battery HELP!!!

Gads, what a mess. First thing I would check is that the power injector for the antenna is not connected to a constant hot lead. Then I'd check all the other power feeds. Something is on a constant hot that shouldn't be.
  4. C

How to open Fremax disc box

Blow gun in the air vent maybe?
  5. C

Anyone using a trailer with electric brakes in their Mk4?

PK: Roll that trailer across the scales and I'll bet it's more than 1100 lbs empty. A much better bet and safer too, would be get a small single axle landscape trailer for the bagged feed and a round bale buggy for the hay. A bale buggy is going to weigh probably 3-400 lbs empty and the little...
  6. C

That gives you about 900 lbs for the load. My Kubota B5100 (15 hp subcompact tractor) tips the scales at about 800 lbs without the mower deck. I'd think long and hard about using the Golf to tow that trailer with any load, especially in the southern end of the hill country.
  7. C

I've never seen a class rating on trailers, just a gross weight limitation. The class rating is for hitches. Texas requires brakes on trailers with a gross of over 4500 lbs, so that would require a Class 3 hitch. If it's got a gross of 4500, it also requires a yearly safety inspection. Most...
  8. C

Amateur (ham) Radio in a TDI

Scott: Too bad you live so far away. I could use the help on getting the FTM-400 into the big Audi :D
  9. C

DFW TDI Owner's List

Ya know the state only covers a little over 268,500 square miles....can ya narrow it down a little more?:p
  10. C

recommendations for indie VW shops in Oklahoma

There is Ray's in Tulsa, one shop in Wichita, Ks, or 3 different gurus in the DFW area. Here is a link to the trusted mechanics list: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Lucw8ALCkLtt79MMw9JOG1E_dX57-raBhbhIFdtHnEQ/edit?hl=en_US
  11. C

what is your guys daily commute to work?

Boeing or Airblob?
  12. C

what is your guys daily commute to work?

Between 84 and 200 miles round trip, depending on the route and whether I need to go by our other house after work. I tend to end up working 7 days a week most of the year and combined with errands and other driving needs, blast past 1000 miles a week average. Last year, between the bug, the...
  13. C

Bolt under gas pedal

On my Bug, it's nothing more than a pedal stop. I get WOT at the stop. No need to add travel and stress the cable.
  14. C

Scott: I can't really say, as I haven't played with the new version. As to the GPS lockup, I don't know. I haven't even run the GPS on mine. I programmed it and tossed it in the car and away I went. One of these days I'll get into that and the APRS and everything else it will do. I move it back...
  15. C

Scott: I bought a FTM-400DR back in May and love it. It's a little wonky on programming, but there has been a firmware update that should help. If you are going to bury the main box, you will need a remote speaker. I like the touch screen, but I find that I really need a touch stick rather than...
  16. C

Stranded-bad alternator?

If you have a few tools and a little workspace, change it yourself. It's not not that tough of a job. There is a a How-To on changing it. If you follow the guide, probably no more than 2-3 hours for a first time change.
  17. C

how to tell if rear axle is bent?

When my bug got pushed sideways into a curb, it ended up bending both the stub axle and the mounting flange. I didn't have the space at the time, or the hours to get a used rear beam and check it, so just put a new one on. A used one around here runs between 150-250$ and no guarantee, while the...
  18. C

HELP Beetle THROWING ALL DASH WARNING LIGHTS!!!

With the assumption that you are at 14 VDC when running, the next thing that I would check is the ground cable from the battery itself. If it's like the one on the bug, it is one piece from the battery to the block, but has a flag terminal attached to the frame midway down the harness. The...
  19. C

HELP Beetle THROWING ALL DASH WARNING LIGHTS!!!

It's possible that you popped a diode in the regulator when you had everything in and out. Check the voltage across the battery with the engine running. Anything more than about 14.5 VDC and it's a regulator problem. I had one go and the dash went nuts. Found that the alternator was putting out...
  20. C

Anti Theft Fuse Battery Drain?

Sounds like you have something keeping it from going into sleep mode. First thing I would suggest is a VCDS scan and see if there are switches showing failed in the alarm system. My bug won't go into the sleep mode, as the hood switch doesn't make. My problem is that the frame that holds the...