Search results

1. R

How to prevent radiator damage from road grit?

I have driven many miles over the years and now my radiator fins have become bent and flattened and the tiny spaces between the fins are loaded up with road grit. This probably reduces the radiator's efficiency. I doubt there's any way to fix this short of replacing the radiator. Next car...
  2. R

Avoid refueling when you see the tanker truck?

fyi... ...there is a reason I asked the question, initially. Last month I filled my tank (the car is a 2014 BMW 328d) at a grungy Gulf branded station I've gone to many times before, parked the car at home for 10 days while traveling, upon my return the first time I drove it on the road and...
  3. R

Avoid refueling when you see the tanker truck?

I was test driving a car along time ago and the sales rep offered me some gratuitous advice....never fill up my tank when I see a tanker truck refilling the station because adding new fuel to the underground tank stirs up the crud and sediment at the bottom of the tank which could get drawn into...
  4. R

BMW diesel reliability?

BMW reliability I waited till now to chime in. I sold my TDI and bought a 2014 328d. I love it. But watch out for contaminated diesel. That's the reason the BMW service advisor gave me for my engine's failure. Last month I filled my tank at a usual grungy place (a Gulf branded station)...
  5. R

Mercedes E250 Bluetec

Patience has a value I just ran out of patience --I wanted it off of my driveway and off my insurance--and that probably cost me $4500. The car has probably gone to some auction lot where CarCash will sell it for $3,500 to a used car dealer who will display it on his lot for "$7995.00"...
  6. R

Moving to Germany -- What Car to Buy?

Go online and search for used car dealers in the your vicinity in Germany. There's all kinds of creatures to consider. Some years ago I rented an Opel Vectra in Italy...diesel 6spd. It handled the highways very well, comfortable although it was sparsely equipped after all -- like a rental...
  7. R

2006.5 TDI/DSG for sale in NJ

I sold my 2006 TDI today to CarCash for $2,000. Had 190,000 miles on it...in good condition, garaged, well maintained. Advertised in Craig's list, local guru put it on his facebook page.. Know how many people want a car, regardless of condition, with 190,000 miles on it? zero. I bought...
  8. R

Mercedes E250 Bluetec

I sold my 2006 TDI today to CarCash for $2,000. Had 190,000 miles on it...in good condition, garaged, well maintained. Advertised in Craig's list, local guru put it on his facebook page.. Know how many people want a car, regardless of condition, with 190,000 miles on it? zero. I bought a...
  9. R

2006.5 TDI/DSG for sale in NJ

For Sale: 2006.5 Jetta TDI "Special Edition"... Build date 11/06 now has 190,000 miles on it 1.9L BRM Reflex Silver exterior Black interior DSG Moonroof Heated Seats and Mirrors CD Player XM Radio Rear Spoiler A/C Cruise control Maintenance done in past 12 months… New EGR, intake...
  10. R

2006 BRM thermostat change

I have to chime in on this temperature topic. I just had my t-stat changed about 8,000 miles ago along with my timing belt (including water pump)/dsg service done at 180,000 miles. I never measured the usual operating temperature of my car prior to that major service. Never had any over/under...
  11. R

What brand of replacement struts/shocks?

Ok, my Bilstein HD update. Car now has almost 188,000 miles. The ride is still more firm than I wanted but I guess I forced myself to get used to it. In the winter the Bilsteins for my Mk5 get too firm on rough roads, probably going to cause me to sell the car. In the hot summer like we're...
  12. R

Oil level sens.: oil change necessary. Please contact Service

And, the moral of the story is that you should be the only one who changes the oil on your EA288 from now on. Even during the warranty period. I have an '06 Jetta, now with 188,000 miles on it, and no one but me has ever changed the oil. ever. So I have had no screw ups like...."oops-sorry we...
  13. R

Bad smell. Exhast blowing in via my AC vents? Windshield wiper fluid burning?

I just found the answer to my question from another member: "From what I read from both of you, I deduct that you must have a leak in the exhaust manifold. Here is what it should happen: there is a duct that goes in the bottom of the air box (there is also a valve there), when is cold...
  14. R

Bad smell. Exhast blowing in via my AC vents? Windshield wiper fluid burning?

Exhast blowing in via my AC vents? Funny you have this problem (well, not that funny). I have a 2006 BRM Mk5, so your results may vary, but I was getting an exhaust smell in my car for the past several months when idling with heater fan on, outside air entering. It would clear out after I...
  15. R

FS: Parting out a 2006 Jetta TDI

Hi.. I am interested in the outer door skin of the passenger side rear door only , the chrome trim piece along top of skin can stay on. Do not need glass or interior panel. How much with shipping? thanks you can email me at: lawmtb@aol.com
  16. R

What's with the torsion beam suspension?

The gasser versions of the 2015 A3 have a four link rear suspension. The TDI has a torsion beam rear suspension. I wonder why Audi did that? Cost savings? Less "sporty" driving demands? Seems to me they dumbed down the TDI's handling potential. Am I wrong about that?
  17. R

Power outlets shorted out

Power outlet shorted Thanks for your valuable but free advice ...I checked all the other fuses, and sure enough I found the bad one. I don't know why I couldn't think of that on my own--never mind, I'll answer my own question.
  18. R

Power outlets shorted out

Hello guys.. Somehow a dime slipped into the well of the power outlet in front of the gear shifter on my 2006 A5. Now I have no power to any of the three power outlets (front, armrest, trunk). Of course I checked the 25 amp fuse, and it is not blown. Where should I look?
  19. R

Major problem with DSG. Could use some advice.

According to the shop case was not cracked.
  20. R

Major problem with DSG. Could use some advice.

I have your solution. I had the exact same problem on my '06 w/ DSG w/ 140,000 miles. DSG oil leaking between trans and engine. My shop JAAutowerks in Shrewsbury, NJ quoted me about 5000 for a new DSG, 3500 for used with 80K miles already on it...I said same thing you said...not spending that...