Search results

1. B

Sort of TDi related

I've hinted around this for some time - my 2013 Passat TDI had a number of problems (HPFP, Urea sensor / heater) that resulted in a lot of service time (about 6 weeks total) with 25k miles on the car. Back in November (post diesel gate) VW Customer Care asked if I'd be interested in a gasser...
  2. B

Hypothetical questions about trading to a TSI

Pretend you own a 2013 Passat TDI SE with 33k miles, in perfect condition. Pretend you've had some issues (HPFP failure at 18k miles, urea sensor / heater failure at 24k, windshield washer tank / pump failure at 28k) that have resulted in your car spending 6 weeks in the shop, just as a...
  3. B

My fault?

Redacted -----
  4. B

TDI broke

On a 3 day vacation in wine country from Las Vegas. Filled up in Sebastopol, drove 31 miles, then it just died with no sputtering or check engine light. Turns over like a champ but won't fire. Being towed right now to Santa Rosa VW dealer. Any comments? I'll keep you informed. 2013 Passat...
  5. B

Door lock trouble

Was leaving for work a few days ago, pressed 'unlock' on the remote, and nothing happened! Got the other remote out of the house, still nothing. Pried off the driver side door handle cover and used the key to get in, car started fine. Has been fine since then - oh, checked for codes with...
  6. B

Day trip

Wife & I decided last minute to take a drive, Las Vegas to Palm Springs. We are staying overnight. Fun little town so far for a bunch of retired folks :) The Passat (which I've bad-mouthed a bit) was very nice (see, there I go again with faint praise). 280 miles, fantastic day (sunny 75, no...
  7. B

VCDS / door locks

I've done a little searching, both on the forum and VCDS, but no luck. I'm not a fan of the doors locking automatically at a certain speed, and want to disable that 'feature'. Surely there has to be a way? Thanks for your help, John F
  8. B

Door ding prevention

I attached the door protectors made by Dawn Enterprises bought from zetaproducts.net (no connection, nothing but a satisfied customer here). Paint matches perfectly. I did trial door openings with pickups, SUV's, and other sedans, and wound up mounting them much higher than the instructions...
  9. B

TDI engine differences

Having traded my '09 JSW TDI for the '13 Passat TDI, I'm curious as to all major engine / emission differences between the engines used in both (CBEA in the '09 JSW, CKRA in the Passat). I have searched but my search items are not coming up with what I want to know. Anyone have a link that'll...
  10. B

Reading light / sun roof switch assembly

I'm wanting to tap into power for a dash cam, and the closest place by far is the reading light / roof switch module. There must be an easy way to remove it, since occasionally the bulbs will need replacement. Can anyone provide detailed instructions on removing this? Oh, for a 2013 Passat...
  11. B

Emergency brake left on

Wife drove to the store and back (2 miles total) with the emergency brake pulled. (In her defense the JSW TDI had a audible alarm nagging that it was on.) By the time she got home it stunk of burning brake pad material, and still stinks inside (have the windows open airing out.) Not worried...
  12. B

AM radio antenna?

I may be one of the last remaining humans to listen to a lot of AM radio, but the reception on my new '13 TDI SE w/nav is horrible. It is as though there is no AM antenna - anyone know if it is incorporated into the 'shark fin', or wires in window, or? I want to find a way to improve the...
  13. B

Explain what my dealer did

Have a question about pricing of the Passat I just bought. 2013 TDI SE, DSG, 18" Bristols w/ Conti, roof/nav. Dealer options (wheel locks, Monster matts, CarGo trunk stuff) Brought the MSRP to just under $32k. Traded in my '09 JSW TDI (no roof, DSG but bare other than that.) Edmunds and...
  14. B

Talk me in to or out of

it. Life long VW owner (I'm in my early 60's now). The JSW TDI just passed 80k, and of course I love it. Finally got around to test driving a '13 Passat, and it sort of reminds me why I loved my old Passat (2001 gasser). Roomy, good highway cruiser, inconspicuous. We have other cars, so...
  15. B

Misfueling Guard - not liking it

Just had my 80k service done at the dealer, and I gave them permission to install the 20T8 Campaign misfueling guard. Now, no matter what I try, I can not fill the tank completely. One or two hashmarks below full is the best I can do. Is there a technique I've not yet mastered? Thanks, John F
  16. B

Dealer overfilled oil - a LOT

'09 JSW TDI, 80k miles. I've done almost all oil changes, but since I needed the 80k service had the dealer do it (they actually gave me a decent deal on the 80k with DSG and rear brake pads - $1k.) Drove it a few days, sometimes noticing a mild knock. Checked the oil, and level was 3 inches...
  17. B

Updates for the last 18 months?

2009 JSW TDI. I got a little depressed reading about the potential HPFP problems, so buried my head in the sand and have not been on the forum for a year and a half or so. Getting ready for the 80k service (yes, DSG) with only a couple issues. You'd never guess what the problems were but they...
  18. B

Smog test in NV, not possible!

Received my form for registration renewal from the NV DMV last month, and of course it stated that smog test was required. Last year the smog test was a pain, as there were only 6 shops in town with the dyno for doing the smog test. I had it done at a cost of $45. This year, I started calling...
  19. B

My '09 DSG Mechatronic experience

I posted in the long MU thread, but thought I'd give driving impressions before / after here. I got the letter for the S8 recall a couple months ago. Even though the letter said the work would be done, just make an appointment, I had to bring the car in and complain about shifting problems...
  20. B

Half way through vacation road trip

NV -> Ut -> Az -> Ut -> Co -> Wy -> Ne -> Ia -> Mn -> Nd -> Mt. Still have a few states to go. Had to have the battery replaced in Grand Forks ND at a Walmart, very lucky it died where it did.