Search results

1. ducatiz

ISO TDI mechanic in southern Virginia (Norfolk/Suffolk/VA Beach)

LOL Norfolk Virginia, probably should post in a NY thread? :)
  2. ducatiz

ISO TDI mechanic in southern Virginia (Norfolk/Suffolk/VA Beach)

Allen Bristow has retired. Anyone have a rec for someone in that area?
  3. ducatiz

Why GM is betting on the Diesel

Now that VW/Audi are quitting the diesel market for the US, you can expect the other makers to follow suit. The only reason GM tried diesel was because of the high mpg and popularity of the TDIs. Now that no one is driving that, it's done. Sad really. I love mine. But that's pretty much it...
  4. ducatiz

overhead console removal howto?

2012 Passat SEL w/ sunroof How does it come off? I want to add a usb power port. thx
  5. ducatiz

Allen Bristow/Cuz's TDIwerks

You won't easily find a better mechanic or someone easier to deal with. My 05 Golf gearbox grenaded and he picked up my car from the dealer, towed it 40 miles, and put in a Boraparts rebuilt gearbox for a reasonable price. And he has the most awesome shop ever. Next time I might conk him...
  6. ducatiz

intake joint clamp?

BINGO!!!! thank you!!
  7. ducatiz

intake joint clamp?

2005 GLS TDI (BEW PD) I am not sure what to call it. Had the mech who did my cam belt change point out the hose from the turbo where it clamps is a bit loose and mentioned that someone sold a fix for it, something that snugged the hose into the clamp better. Sorry for the very generalized...
  8. ducatiz

part question

Actually, we've used them for years for my wife's car and they've been very good. They just don't see many TDIs, I guess. I used to do oil changes myself, but honestly, I just don't enjoy it anymore. I still do almost all my own work on my bikes -- I can do a valve gap and shim change on a...
  9. ducatiz

part question

that's what i was concerned about. i am going to pick up the seals.
  10. ducatiz

part question

So I found the part online, it's definitely the oil cooler. Is there any issue with unscrewing it and putting it back as they did? I figured I could have JUST my oil changed by them, I've had all other bigger work done by actual TDIclub recommended wrenches. They do it for $20 if you bring...
  11. ducatiz

part question

part question--urgent help plz i'm at Midas getting an oil change i brought my own oil/filter. they didn't know the filter on the BEW was on top and unscrewed some part that's underneath -- directly under the filter with a few hoses attached. it has a big nut end. anyone know what this...
  12. ducatiz

TDI forum profile privacy set to "everyone" (in the world, it seems)

I changed it to reflect what I learned the the meanwhile, my assumption was wrong -- that's all. I'd change the thread title too, but I don't seem to be able to do that. i'm sorry you read my tone as condescending. i may have been too certain, but .. not condescending. as the gentleman...
  13. ducatiz

This NY times article explains why: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/opinion/30zhuo.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=disinhibition&st=cse I apologize for not knowing that my account's details were made public by default, and yes, I've been involved in technology now for 25 years. I changed the thread...
  14. ducatiz

All of the other forums I use do not set privacy to "everyone" by default. I had no idea that this one does. I changed it by now, could you please remove that?
  15. ducatiz

So, for everyone else, TDIclub sets your default profile privacy to "Everyone" which means anyone who isn't even registered on the board can look at your email address. I think it would be better for the DEFAULT profile privacy to be set to "no one" or at least only "Friends" so that stuff like...
  16. ducatiz

I am not playing a blame game, but I want to thank you for pointing that out. I had no idea that was visible. But I did not post that, the system is showing it to people/bots who query it. Now, I'll change it and hopefully hide that. I wish this board had made it clear it was showing my...
  17. ducatiz

That's not a brute force, that's called a dictionary attack. Brute force is going thru the complete sequence of letters and numbers. Nope, I don't. Since my username can't be discovered with a dictionary attack (see previous comment above i.e. "brute force" vs "dictionary" attacks), it would...
  18. ducatiz

1st off, that isn't my email, I munged the first part. 2nd off, my actual email address has no words in it. Brute force letter attack? I don't think so. I don't post my email in the forum. I wish I could believe you -- plenty of websites get hacked and don't know they are hacked until much...
  19. ducatiz

i got the following email i was unaware that tdiclub sets profile privacy to "everyone" which means anyone (and bots) can get your email address out of your profile. Go here to change it: http://forums.tdiclub.com/profile.php?do=privacy Setting it to "Friends" is the most private you can get...
  20. ducatiz

Timing belt service cost?

I had Tom Earl do the whole job and I have to say I am very happy with it. He was very thorough, and told me he didn't mind if I hovered to watch and learn, which I did. 2 days later and still happy, what can I say? I totally recommend him for cambelt service.