Search results

1. D

FS: 98 Jetta Parts

I no longer own my TDI Jetta and have a few parts left over Four OEM wheel covers/hub caps in good condition $50 for all four including shipping or will sell them separately. All three motor mounts I purchased from Autohaus AZ and never installed, new in the box. paid $112 plus tax, asking...
  2. D

Help, TDI ran on GAS!

My Mother accidentally put gas in her 03 TDI wagon. She just called me and she lives in WI and I live in CA. She told me she had a 1/4 tank of diesel and added a 1/2 more of E85 gas. She then drove it 10 miles and it was bucking so she stopped and then realized what she had done. In her...
  3. D

B4 rear shock removal question

So I just installed front struts, poly control arm bushings and now I am on to the rear shocks. My question's are 1) Are the spring compressors in the right spot here? I could not get the compressors any higher on the springs due to the gap space. 2) how can I get the nut off the top of...
  4. D

Shift lever repair.

My shift lever broke. I picked up the new part from the dealer and now I am wondering how to get the old part out. I don't want to do any damage here as I have never done this job. I am assuming I need to get that center nut out that turns the whole lever when I turn it.
  5. D

Road trip trouble, help needed

My dad is driving back home to NC after he came out for a vist. I changed his timing belt and water pump and all kinds of stuff. He has a 2003 Jetta Wagon He called me saying he threw a code climbing a grade in AZ. I had him scan it at Autozone and it came back P0299-turbo overboost. I...
  6. D

Timing Belt A4 vs A3

I have changed four timing belts between my 98 jetta and my 96 passat. I have the tools and a vag-com. However, my dad just purchased a 2003 A4 Jetta Wagon w/auto transmission. The car has 80k on it and he is wanting me to change his belt for him. I will be using the how-to write up for a...
  7. D

Help me complete my B4

Now that I have everything working in my new-to-me B4 in the engine department with my recent a/c work completed I am moving on to the final touches. Two issues left to fix- 1. My trunk had a leak in the famous drives side tail light that I fixed, however the trunk floor liner material is...
  8. D

Got burned on vwvortex

Just wanted to share this and also see if I have any recourse. I paid a guy parting out his B4 on vwvortex $120 for his fogs and dummies. According to him they were his brand new set that he had not yet installed. I got them in the mail yesterday and low and behold they are the Ebay Chinese...
  9. D

A/C not working B4, some questions

No cold air at all from vents, compesser kicks on and stays on. High side reads about 110 low side reads about 110 on the gauges. I have read that it could be the expansion valve. If I just do the expansion valve then I will have to bring it in to have it evac'd and refilled. I assume there is...
  10. D

A3 Orlando rims

I just purchased some Orlando's for my 98 and I am wondering the weight of these vs stock steelies? I have seached around all over and can not find the info. My Orlando's will not arrive until next week..
  11. D

Pictures with questions

1) This is the front passenger side roof. Is there some kind of clip that holds this rubber rail down? That is not rust BTW, this car has been in California its whole life. It looks like someone put some copper RTV to try and hold it down. I am wondering what I can use to hold this down. Or...
  12. D

Timing Belt Assistance Please! B4

Changing the water pump and timing belt on my newly aquired B4. Here is the problem: putting the new timing belt on and I notice the flywheel has moved and is not TDC. It has moved forward a couple of notches. I move it back with a screwdriver.(per the how to) Every time I put the cam...
  13. D

Picked up a B4 yesterday

In an effort to gain another TDI and not drive my gas-hog Dodge Ram I pulled the trigger on a 96 B4 sadan yeterday. I also got tired of my wife having all the fun and driving my 98 Jetta TDI. It has 202,000 on it and I need to do some maintance for sure. No records of anything done on it. The...
  14. D

alternator bolt ?

For some odd reason I had a brain laps and forgot to put the nut on the alternator bolt/stud for the main power supply. I have been running like this for a month ever sense I removed it to get to those damn hoses under the IP. Well the loose connection has been arching apparently and the bolt...
  15. D

VW Car cover A3 Jetta

I was cleaning out my garage today and I came across the car cover that came with my 1998 Jetta. I have never used it-its just been siting in my garage taking up space. Anyone interested in this? Its gray color with the black VW logo, good condition. I will never use this but someone...
  16. D

A/C work being done

My beloved 1998 Jetta shot some freon out the wents as I was driving it home after a long trip. I thought the car was on fire for a minute. Any way after searching here I figured on the expansion valve was the problem. I took it to a shop that I have only used once being I do all my own...
  17. D

IQ affect MPG??

I recently replaced the seals on my injection pump that was leaking. I then used the hammer mod to get the IQ into spec. I do not remember what the exact IQ was before I changed the seals but it was below 2. I thought I set it to 4.2 but after the worst mileage ever recorded I checked some...
  18. D

stearing wheel shaking, going nuts!

steering wheel shaking, going nuts! 98 Jetta-162,000 here is the problem: At highway speeds the steering wheel moves side to side-slightly, very fast, just enough to drive you crazy. At city speeds and stopping it is smooth. Things I have recently done to the car after the problem started...
  19. D

any Co-op's near Fresno?

any Co-op's near Fresno? Bio-plant coming soon! just asking right now, I have been looking for anyone runing bio in the Central Valley. I can't even find a station around here that is selling biodiesel within 150 miles! On a positive note The Fresno Bee ran an article last month that a...
  20. D

96 mercedes E300D question

I am in the market for another diesel and I need a full size car. does anyone own a 96-97 300 mercedes diesel? I am wondering how the car drives compared to the tdi engine. (I have a 98 jetta TDI) This is the non-turbo mercedes 300 model that I am looking at. What is the pick up like with...