Search results

1. Rickstah

Physics of putting LED units into New Beetle stock canisters for low and/or high beams?

Hey, I am on my second set of canisters in a couple years, typical sources, if nothing else works I may try one last time...but my existing low beam halogens will not adjust and I am so tired of trying to shim the canisters, lol, the driver low converges on a spot about 40' in front and the...
  2. Rickstah

Updated: Fuel Level Sending unit repair/replace 2002 ALH NB

Hi, all, ever since I got my Bug back from the dealership last fall I have been chasing an issue where sometimes it starts fine when cold and then if I've driven awhile it won't start back up for several tries, possibly even several minutes. Here recently I started noticed that is was possibly...
  3. Rickstah

FOUND! WTB: Passenger seat w. intact airbag or both seats that fit a 2002 New Beetle (I live in Oklahoma City)

Someone hit my NB right rear wheel and broke the rear axle and it deployed passenger seat side airbag. Dealer has repaired all except sourcing a replacement seat or seats. Mine are black cloth but willing to look at two matching seats. Msg me and I will provide cell number, thanks.
  4. Rickstah

Right rear wheel on my 2002 NB center punched by another car, now what?

Monday someone ran straight into my right rear wheel as I was slowing down in the left turn lane. Spun me almost 180 degrees and the wheel is sitting at about a ten degree angle, car won't move although the tow winch caused it to slowly turn a few times as it was pulled up. Passenger side seat...
  5. Rickstah

Fitment between a Panzer skid plate and OEM side skirts on 2002 New Beetle

Can someone confirm that oem side skirts for a 2002 New Beetle manual tranny will fit a panzer plate for the same vehicle? Possibly even oem side skirts for different models of alh?
  6. Rickstah

Best method to splice in abs sensor wire harness to car? (2002 ALH NB right front)?

Hi, I have searched many permutations for this harness replace and haven't been able to find an example how/where to splice it in. The image shows a new one on top and a used one a buddy grabbed at a salvage yard for me when he walked by a 2002 NB auto tranny. Apparently they were closing in 5...
  7. Rickstah

Some Heater Core Flush/Thermostat Replace Post-Job Information for 2002 New Beetle Manual Tranny

I did this job today because the last time I needed heat it didn't seem as warm as I thought it should be and it seemed to linger at about 140 degrees about twice as long as I recall (using Torque Lite water temp display) so figured possibly thermostat was starting to cycle more slowly so why...
  8. Rickstah

First cv axle replace on my NB, grease packing question

Hey, this is the first time I have replaced the passenger CV axle on my 2002 NB. I assume I use the packet of grease provided, pack it into the bearing/spline area as much as possible and then put the rest into the void of the inner axle flange, or should it all theoretically go into the bearing...
  9. Rickstah

To Gamble or Not to Gamble on Wheel Bearing Remaining Life

Greetings, all, haven't been around in awhile but nothing has been breaking and busier than ever with work and such. Anyway, going to do a front-end kit for the 2002 NB (LCAs, tie-rods, stab bar link...MIGHT replace strut assemblies) and I have been reading a lot about wheel bearings seemingly...
  10. Rickstah

Barn Find! OK, just a GP harness :)

Greetings, haven't been active here in some time but resurrecting my Bug after the son unit bought his first car. The Bug has been sluggish starting since the temps have been dipping into the 40s F. so I was about to do some mm testing of the glow plugs when I opened a cabinet and found this! It...
  11. Rickstah

Well I DID see the engine from a '99 AHU :) put to good use!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcdeeB5ZUys&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR38IdJ2QY9ACey01QYgH51s8qdIVERs1eGDdWiiuJjv61X9gIj6Tfjle9U
  12. Rickstah

not the greatest luck on replacement headlights for 2002 NB

Not the greatest luck on replacement headlight units for 2002 NB (FYI, no problem with lenses.) Hi all, I have had my NB for several years after buying from a fellow TDIer on this site. IT has been pretty great with the exception of the headlights. The oem glass took some hits as well as got...
  13. Rickstah

Been Gone Awhile, Greetings and a Question about mechanic near OKC

Edited: Greetings and a Question about leaking on front of IP Hi, feel like a newbie, lol. Have had NO issues with the Bug for a long time but suddenly it seems to be leaking some fuel from around the injector pump. I cleaned it up and will try to isolate in the morning but has anyone in OKC...
  14. Rickstah

Anyone replaced stock intake hoses with silicone on 2002 NB?

My intake hose right after the MAF sensor has developed a split and it is over 100 bucks at dealer, lol, so thought maybe some silicone hose in a bright color might brighten up the engine dept, lol. The sucker is about 13" loa attached but my son is gone so often I can't measure the ID yet. Also...
  15. Rickstah

FS: New ECU f. 97-99 Golf TDI, 97-99 Jetta TDI Fits AHU engine only

Greetings, I bought this on eBay recently while trying to figure out why my Jetta was in persistent limp mode after a relay 109 incident. (ended up being a continuity problem in wire coming from injector pump, etc). Anyway, I plugged this in and it changed nothing. After I found the problem I...
  16. Rickstah

2002 NB clutch refuses to disengage now and then

Greetings. It has done this about 5 times over the past three years...once while putting in reverse to back down an incline and the clutch just stayed down and it was just hung up for a couple of minutes until I was able to get the shifter to move while pulling up on the pedal with my shoe, etc...
  17. Rickstah

T24 Round engine harness connection problem

Greetings, trying to trace a short on pin 53/IP solenoid and I went from the solenoid to the round harness connection collar. When I take off the collar I have continuity from solenoid to the male prong on the mounted side of the collar, and if I go from the female receptacle on the removable...
  18. Rickstah

Christine the A3 has suddenly started acting like her name :)

Greetings! My A3 has been purring along for many years, but just recently a few things have happened to her that have not been easy to fix and I think have precipitated some additional problems. I had the blend door fixed by a place that has had experience doing this, and though it took a while...
  19. Rickstah

WTB: Steering column cover for 98 A3 Jetta (cover is black)

Hi all, my cover's plastic bolt thread pieces broke after one too many removals, so need one that is intact and will take bolts.
  20. Rickstah

Glow Plugs replaced...well, mostly, cough

Hi all. I've never had any problem with glow plug replacements on Christine. They always came out and went back in with no binding. The Bug turned out to be a different animal. I replace 1, 3 and 4 no problems, threaded down to the bottom, torqued 11 pds. Number 2 started to come out ok, then...