Search results

1. tdipoet

Is there a way to keep the AC off?

I'm really starting to get sick of the AC turning itself on by itself. Is there a way to prevent this?
  2. tdipoet

i actually really enjoy my car

this section of the forum needs a bit more jetta love. my last tdi was a beautiful 96 passat that i foolishly sold back in 2003 or so. between having kids and buying a house i've spent the last 7 years pining away for another one. i finally have one and i adore it. best car i've ever had...
  3. tdipoet

new englanders with CR engines - use irving if you can

those of us who live in new england are fortunate enough to have access to irving fueling stations. i did some calling, and spoke with a rep at irving who gave me the latest testing data, which happened to be from their portland distribution center. there's also one in portsmouth and i believe...
  4. tdipoet

i wish the car would keep it down when talking to me

anyone else notice how the voice command prompts and the chime are loud as hell when the phone volume is at a relatively normal level? if there's one thing about this platform i'd change, it's that. scares the crap out of me every time i accidentally hit the button, too.
  5. tdipoet

door panel damage

just got my car back from the autobody shop connected to my VW dealer. outside looks great, good as new. scrapes on the driver's side doors and rear quarter panel are gone. apparently something about fixing the outside of the car must require you to remove the door panel on the inside, which...
  6. tdipoet

OK, who's got the black Mk5 at Quirk?

I'm sitting here at Quirk in Manchester waiting for my 10k service and for my intercooler to be winterized and there's a nice black Mk5 with a tdiclub plate cover. Who is it?
  7. tdipoet

problems already.

These last two weeks I've noticed (generally when i've just started driving) i can hear what sounds like an air leak or something along those lines. you can hear it in sync with the turbo at lower speeds, such as when moving up through the gears. in addition, the last three days the car has...
  8. tdipoet

Irving - 2% bio blend?

I was at the irving station today, and there was a surprisingly well informed driver of an irving fuel truck. he asked me how i liked my tdi, said he had a diesel truck and wanted to get a tdi too. he mentioned that all irving diesel is a 2-4% bio blend. has anyone heard or seen anything to...
  9. tdipoet

Poll: Does your trunk open all the way when popped, or just a tiny bit?

Mine only opens a bit, and I'm starting to hear that other 2011's open all the way. If that's the case, I'm taking advantage of my warranty to get that fixed...
  10. tdipoet

Fuel gauge weirdness

The other day I popped into irving, left the car running, and filled the tank till it stopped. 13.4 gallons, IIRC. To me that says "filled up." And yet, when I got in the car, I had just over a half filled tank according to the fuel meter. Turned the car off an on, reseated the gas cap...
  11. tdipoet

i love my 2011, but...

there are three aspects of it that feel like total downgrades. i miss the armrest in my 2006 jetta (gasser). it extended a bit and was very comfy. the new sunglasses niche sucks. and why oh why did VW take a perfectly good sunroof control knob design and make it less useful? the old one was...
  12. tdipoet

New Englanders - Do you want a fest in NH? Get your behinds in this thread.

ok, lots of talk so far, lots of ideas. good things, but let's get down to brass tacks. i have no idea what that euphemism means, but here we go. i'm interested in being a part of organizing the 2012 fest. i'm not interested in doing it alone, and neither are the other members i've talked to...
  13. tdipoet

what what what?!?!

i just realized today (it's only been about four or five days of actual driving in this car) that my new jetta does not have a temp gauge. can't wrap my head around it. granted, i never saw the needle move in my old jetta once it was up to temp. but still... it's just wrong.
  14. tdipoet

bio in NE?

so it sounds like the best practice for these new 2011 common rail engines is to use some sort of additive to increase lubricity, the best being 2% bio, and the second being that opti-lube stuff. i'm thinking about getting a few gallons of bio and stashing them in the garage. having been away...
  15. tdipoet

b5.5 headlight assembly won't adjust

anyone have any experience in fixing the headlight assemblies when they won't adjust any longer? our 2002 b5.5 came to us used and with some front-end "wear and tear" and the headlights aren't really at their optimal alignment. a little while back i had the car in at the stealership to get the...
  16. tdipoet

for those who miss (or remember) the general discussion area...

for those who recall (or not) the general discussion area... Back in The Day when the internet was still called The Information Superhighway and Fred's was a small community of folks with far too much time on their hands, there was the general discussion area. This was a section on Fred's...
  17. tdipoet

Kimball's Fortnightly Ice Cream GTG in Westford MA

Kimball\'s Fortnightly Ice Cream GTG in Westford MA seems to me like it's almost time to bring back the semi-weekly ice cream gtg at Kimball's in Westford. IIRC this event occurs on Thursday nights from 6-9ish. it's three bucks for adults over 12 to get in (which is well worth it, you see...
  18. tdipoet

Thanks to everyone who donated!

None of the events this weekend would have been possible without the donations recieved from the many friends of TDIClub.com. We had just an incredible amount of support and we're very grateful for every bit of it. Here's a list of it all: <ul type="square">Total Lubricants USA - Three cases...
  19. tdipoet

It's really over,,,

It\'s really over,,, Well after a year of planning and meetings, the Fest came and went leaving quite an aftermath in its wake. Most of it was something of a blur, and the parts of my brain where the fest memories reside are filled more with numbers than anything else. But it was a great...
  20. tdipoet

Upon Arrival at the Fest:

1) Check in to your room, of course. 2) Check in with Fest Staff. On Friday, this can be done in room 2007 or the Courtyard during the meet and greet. The rest of the weekend... use the agenda to try and track us down. When you check in we'll give you your goody bag which contains all the...