1. rocketeer928

rocketeer928 - My 2003 VW Jetta TDI

We're just over the border south of Springfield
  2. rocketeer928

You and I could have a GTG sometime.
  3. rocketeer928

Moved back to Connecticut, joined the Connecticut Volkswagen Association (CVA), and went to my first event. Won 2nd place in the A4 (MKIV) category at the 2023 Bug-A-Fair at the Terryville Fairgrounds. The Jetta TDI and my other vehicles get re-registered into CT soon.
  4. rocketeer928

If interested, all three of my VWs are now in my signature. Birdie is still at the shop for complete restoration, and it's been 4-years so far...
  5. rocketeer928

Turns out that the toggle switch isn’t going to help. I went out to the car, turned the ignition switch to ON, toggled the new switch, and the stereo has been drawing power for over two hours. So, installing the toggle was a waste of time and materials, and I’m back to pulling the fuse...
  6. rocketeer928

I still have no idea why the wiring fix I did worked for over a year, and then decided to not work. Parasitic gremlins, I guess. Stereo kill switch installed. Now I just need to remember to toggle the switch before leaving the car, though I suspect that the bright red light will be a good...
  7. rocketeer928

Ugh!!! My stereo isn’t disconnecting when I turn off the ignition, and my battery is draining dead again. Odd and annoying. I think I’ll have to install a kill switch from that blue wire I added in my attempt to fix the issue before.
  8. rocketeer928

My NIVA Club had their Bug Fest at Fox Valley VW in St. Charles, IL today. There weren't many mid-year water cooled VWs there, but I managed 1st place in the category. My buddy Pete's powder blue 1973 VW Type 1 Super Beetle Convertible was on the t-shirts, dash plaques, and awards this year.
  9. rocketeer928

I put the soundproofing on in 2008. I think that it helped, but probably not significantly.
  10. rocketeer928

Good to know you're still posting too, Peter. Taking good care of my TDI. Detailing inside and outside likely tomorrow.
  11. rocketeer928

I hit 160,000 miles, so I did the usual oil and all filters changing. I also installed a new fuel line from the filter to the 11 mm pump, as the original looked as though it could start leaking soon. A little insurance.
  12. rocketeer928

How-To: Replace a MKIV ALH Diesel Injection Pump without Changing the Timing Belt

I'm happy to see that my DYI is still being used successfully.
  13. rocketeer928

West Michigan Fall TDI GTG - Oct. 5th, 2019

I still have mine. Though now that I took on a job that is 100% remote, my TDI or any other vehicle isn't getting many miles. Sad to see MKIVs and diesels in general decreasing in numbers.
  14. rocketeer928

After nearly 3 years, Birdie is STILL at the restoration shop. Long story and I've really have had to be patient.
  15. rocketeer928

I was going over my thread today, and when I got to this post, I went "Hmm..." The gloss-black Aluminum Diamond Mesh Grille that I used is now silver. The "black" must have gotten weathered over the last decade. Still looks good, though.
  16. rocketeer928

New to me 2003 Jetta Wagon TDi manual

Nice looking wagon. When I read your "to do" list and saw heater core, I paused. I think that you would have to disassemble the whole dash to get to the heater core. I think if the heater core went on my 2003 TDI, it will have seen its last days for me. Beware putting in an aftermarket...
  17. rocketeer928

New stereo draining battery

The good news: My TDI sat for two weeks and the battery didn't die, so the parasitic drain caused by the Pioneer stereo has been fixed. The bad news: Now every time I get into the car, I need to press a few "buttons" up front to get the radio to work with my mobile phone. So, it's not an...
  18. rocketeer928

The good news: My TDI sat for two weeks and the battery didn't die, so the parasitic drain caused by the Pioneer stereo has been fixed. The bad news: Now every time I get into the car, I need to press a few "buttons" up front to get the radio to work with my mobile phone. So, it's not an...
  19. rocketeer928

Today I finally had time to tackle the new stereo parasitic battery drain issue I have been dealing with. The Pioneer stereo drained my battery to DEAD DEAD a couple of times, since the Jetta wasn't being used much during the COVID-19 work-from-home time last year. I recharged the battery and...
  20. rocketeer928

New stereo draining battery

Today I finally had time to tackle the new stereo parasitic battery drain issue. I had pulled the fuse and haven't been using the stereo from winter through spring. Turns out that I don't have a Monsoon amp in my Jetta, so even though I had the parts, that fix wasn't an option. So, I tried...