Search results

1. S

VW Golf is 50 years old

Folks, We've got family in Berlin so I come over a couple times a year to visit. I'm in Berlin for a couple weeks and this morning was watching German TV and they had a five minute spot on the news about the VW Golf being 50 years old. They showed advertisements for the Golf across the years...
  2. S

Thinking about buying a Q5 - suggestions? comments?

Folks, I'm thinking about buying an Audi Q5 with the 3.0 TDI and am in the process of gathering information on what to look for. I've done a couple searches through AutoTrader and CarGuru and see around 60 or so Q5 TDIs for sale nationwide. Most are right around 130,000 miles and from what I...
  3. S

Considering an Audi A3 wagon - suggestions? warnings? things to look for?

Folks, One of my daily drivers is my 2005 Jetta wagon (BEW). It's currently at 448k and running great. I hesitate to write that as I'm afraid something will happen.....It has the 09a automatic transmission. I replaced the solenoids around 225k as it was having shifting issues. Timing belt...
  4. S

2002 Golf - A/C compressor pressure relief valve???

Folks, Oldest daughter was home over the weekend and said the A/C was cool but not cold. Connected the gauge set and the low side was reading low so I added some R134a. Got in the car and the vent temperatures were good. I pressed the accelerator and heard a "hiss" and a cloud of vapor for a...
  5. S

Sad day......Audi TT -> TDI "ran away"..........

Folks, I was driving up to the store in my Audi TT -> TDI and passed a car while in third gear going about 50 mph. Heard a loud "POP" then lots of smoke behind the car. Let off the accelerator but the car was still motoring along at 50 mph or so. Was on a two lane road near home with very...
  6. S

2003 VW Jetta - Airbag light on; no codes when I scan with VCDS

Folks, I'm working on my daughter's 2003 VW Jetta with a 2.0l, manual transmission. The airbag light is on but there are no fault codes under VCDS? I came across a couple of posts where people mentioned the seat belt latch on the drivers side had a broken wire? But they were able to...
  7. S

Axles - 5 speed and 6 speed manual transmission

Folks, This might be a tough question...... I'm working on my 2000 Audi TT -> TDI and am looking for a right/passenger side axle. My TT is the 5 speed, FWD version. When I put the ALH and 5 speed manual (from a 2002 VW Golf TDI) I had to take the axle flanges off the gas TT 5 speed...
  8. S

Bondo Hair.........bumper cover.......

Folks, My daily driver is my Audi TT -> TDI conversion. It's not a "show" car. Last week I came around a corner and a couple turkey buzzards were have "lunch" in the middle of the road. They started to fly but I bumped one as it was taking off (even while braking hard). When I got home I...
  9. S

ALH injection pump head seal replacement - alternative method

Folks, This past week the timing belt tensioner failed on my Audi TT → TDI. I was lucky in that the tension was not completely released and the engine stayed in time. I ordered an ALH timing belt kit from one of the supported vendors and replaced everything. Over the past year or so I...
  10. S

ECU failure

Folks, I've been working on the 2002 Jetta sedan (2.0l gas, 01m automatic transmission, 192k miles) my daughter drives. I replaced the solenoids and ribbon cable/harness. I had several solenoids out of range and when I checked the ribbon cable, it had wore through where one of the clips holds...
  11. S

2002 Jetta 01M stuck in 3H

Folks, This is my daughter's 2002 Jetta with the 2.0l (gas) engine, 01M automatic, 197,000 miles. She came home from college the other day and said the car wouldn't shift in to the top gear and that the engine was running high rpms on the highway. I took it for a drive and sure enough, it was...
  12. S

2005 Beetle BEW - no start

Folks, I started having problems with my 2005 Beetle last Winter. Once it got warm, it would suddenly quit. I could turn the key off, then restart it and it might run for ten minutes, or it might suddenly quit. I parked it and figured I look at it once it was warmer (I've got several VWs to...
  13. S

Comfort Control Unit clicking (sounds like a turn signal flasher)

Folks, This is in my 2000 Audi TT -> TDI conversion. The Comfort Control Unit (located on the driver's side under the small side window) has for the past year or so made "clicking" sounds like a turn signal is on. This doesn't happen that often, maybe once a month. It might "click" for a...
  14. S

2005 New Beetle: change steering wheel to Audi TT?

Folks, This is probably a long shot, but I'll ask anyway: The steering wheel on my 2005 New Beetle is kind of getting "gummy" (it's the perforated plastic/rubber version) and I would like to replace it with a leather Audi TT steering wheel. The Beetle steering wheel air bag has two 2-pin...
  15. S

Thoughts on the New Beetle 2012+

Folks, Been here awhile and have many mkIV VWs, as you can see from my signature. I've also got my 2000 Audi TT that I converted to diesel (ALH). I have always liked the Beetles and my daily driver is my 2005 NB with a six speed manual. I have been thinking of getting a New Beetle 2012...
  16. S

Steering rack on my Audi TT -> TDI conversion has failed -

Folks, I've got about 80,000 miles on my Audi TT -> TDI conversion. It's my daily driver and a fun car to drive. Coming home from Church on Sunday I noticed the power steering was making noise when I turned the wheel on corners. Checked the power steering reservoir and it was low. Added...
  17. S

How to turn the engine over but keep car from starting?

Folks, I'm replacing the turbo on one of my 2002 Golf TDIs. How can I turn the car over (to build oil pressure) but keep it from starting? I've primed the turbo with new oil, changed the solid oil feed line with a braided stainless steel line and changed the engine oil. I want to make sure...
  18. S

Rear caliper parking brake arm- can it be removed?

Folks, I'm replacing the parking brake cables on my 2000 Audi TT -> TDI as the old cables have swelled/rotted due to moisture. The parking brake cables have the old style barrel end. The new cables have the ball end. The rear calipers on the Audi are the same as a 2000 VW Jetta/Golf. The...
  19. S

PD150 - piping between intercooler and racepipe

Folks, I've got a PD150 intake and TIP/MAF/air box top that I'm going to install on my Audi TT -> ALH conversion. I have a PD150 EGR/ASV but am going to install a racepipe that mounts the MAP on the racepipe flange. Should I run the stock plastic pipe that runs between the intercooler to...
  20. S

Brakes feel "funny". Brake booster? Master Cylinder? Vacuum pump?

Folks, This is my 2000 Audi TT > ALH conversion and my daily driver. The other day when I came home from work I noticed my brakes felt "soft". The pedal seemed to travel closer to the floor than previously. I also noticed a "pffffff" sound when I put the brakes on. No noise when the pedal...