Search results

1. Tin Man

real world EVs review

Interesting take on China and EV's https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rwg9hqtzvV1zlxqpx.mp4
  2. Tin Man

real world EVs review

Well I'd like to report on our new addition: a green/tan 2023 BMW i4 eDrive35. The car is well equipped and came under lease with a $7500 incentive which BMW rolled into the lease, which comes out to equivalent APR of about 4.3% at the lower MSRP price. My wife wanted it and lets just say her...
  3. Tin Man

2/3rds EVs by 2032... Realistic? (and time to horde diesels?)

I'm worried about the economic impact of many of the carbon-related arguments, especially the costs involved. China and other countries are gaining industrial capacity and market share while building more coal-fired plants than ever. Sure seems to me there needs to be a free-market boost to any...
  4. Tin Man

real world EVs review

https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/8-tips-to-hone-your-ice-racing-and-winter-driving-skills/ I wouldn't suggest ice racing with a RWD empty bed pickup truck....
  5. Tin Man

real world EVs review

My Audi 100LS had very small drum brakes in the back (and inboard discs up front!) I think for better front-to-back balance during hard braking - something GM should have tried in their problematic X-cars. Changing the Audi's rear drum shoes was kind of fun because they were almost small enough...
  6. Tin Man

real world EVs review

I'm not exactly sure about what you are saying but my rather extensive experience driving in snowy/icey conditions with RWD (Riviera, Grand Am, Miata, E320 CDI), FWD (100LS, New Beetle TDI,), and 4WD (Suburban), with the engine over the rear wheels (912, Carrera 3.2) or with even weight...
  7. Tin Man

real world EVs review

The infrastructure for taking care of 24/7 energy needs when the sun is down and wind is nil is nowhere near the lower cost of fossil fuels which already have infrastructure in place. Energy storage is discussed in my last post.
  8. Tin Man

real world EVs review

Really!
  9. Tin Man

real world EVs review

Its pretty simple to view. "Zero emission vehicles" is a false statement from the get-go.
  10. Tin Man

real world EVs review

Environmental stewardship involves more than political talking points and pie-in-the-sky policies that might look better on paper than in the messy world of geo-political reality we live in. The EV pushing majority doesn't account much for the negative effects nor does it look at these effects...
  11. Tin Man

real world EVs review

Toyota has always been conservative in their design philosophy. That's why they are considered reliable and boring but solid. The first Prius was still conservatively designed and executed, with Honda's hybrid the first one on the market.
  12. Tin Man

real world EVs review

Reading the whole article and comments may reveal a dislike of the negatives of full ev conversion/electrification, and it wasn't anything but a general statement, not a ruling, to make people think.
  13. Tin Man

real world EVs review

I guess you didn't read the article. They only let me read it once.
  14. Tin Man

real world EVs review

Interesting take on EV's with lots of pictures of Wyoming wind farms: https://trib.com/business/energy/lawmakers-sent-a-message-about-electric-vehicles-but-what-did-the-country-hear/article_2c386eb4-96c0-11ed-9ba4-1b2d4dfac7d4.html
  15. Tin Man

Exxon Predicted Global Warming

Not sure but the main article promoting changes seems to select diesels as the main culprit, a thoroughly illegitimate conclusion. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22396113/ I don't break down legislative malfeasance along party lines. Both are equally suspect when it comes to certain subjects...
  16. Tin Man

Which "info"? The one where Exxon was contributing to the knowledge base on climate change through research yet defending itself naturally against climate activist-led illegitimate ideas?
  17. Tin Man

Or... oil companies knew the solutions proposed wouldn't work but superficial journalists didn't care.
  18. Tin Man

Since this is an automotive diesel forum, I can name a few things: - Biased research in health care against diesels: avoiding tire emissions as well as indoor pollution as the cause of city dwellers having more disease than rural dwellers - EPA rules that favor roomy SUV's and CUV's that make...
  19. Tin Man

Makes you wonder if CNN will ever publish an unbiased point of view. Hence the "climate denier" status of those rational enough to know environmental activism is symbolic yet impractical and itself denies realities.
  20. Tin Man

real world EVs review

Many bad things come out of unelected beaurocrats who justify their salary with over-reaching rules too, as TDI afficionados are well aware. Mark our "healthcare" system where insurance companies and regulators are given too much power, choking off grass-roots practice. The "science" needs not...