Search results

1. O

30A fuse for fans blowing after replacing fuse box and alternator cable

2004 Golf GL, Manual, 200K miles. The backstory: I had the relatively common battery top fuse box melting problem recently where the 30A fuse slot for the fans over heats and melts. I bought and installed a replacement fuse box from IDParts about a month ago. I also up-sized and replaced the...
  2. O

Replaced Radiator and Condenser fans today -- some value-added info...

My driver's side fan had quit altogether and the passenger side fan sounded like it had gravel for bearings. Ended up purchasing the TYC two fan combination unit that comes pre-mounted on a new frame. It was actually less expensive than buying the two needed fans separately. So there's tip...
  3. O

Radiator/condenser fan R&R -- any "how to" threads?

Interested if anyone has first hand knowledge of the R&R of the MkIV radiator and condenser fans. It looks pretty tight in there and the fans I picked up are mounted on a new frame. I did a search and could find nothing on removal and installation. The search function didn't seem to provide...
  4. O

Need a little guidance on door lock fault codes

I'm hoping someone has more knowledge about this than I do (which is essentially nil!) and can point me in the right direction. I recently have started to have problems with the driver's side rear door lock not unlocking when told to do so by fob or unlock button at driver's armrest control on...
  5. O

Are 80 AH R94/H7 batteries still available?

Looks like I'm due for my second battery replacement in my '04 Golf. In the past, I purchased an OEM spec battery from the dealership: R94/H7 80AH battery -- Varta or East Penn. The local dealership no longer exists and when I search, I don't see these batteries anywhere in a wet version -...
  6. O

which sway bar link to buy?

I have a "clunk" forming at the passenger front. I did a complete suspension refresh not so long ago so I'm assuming it's not any of those parts. Sounds like sway bar links are a common offender and they're cheap. Can anyone provide info on what the preferred replacement is? When I go to...
  7. O

Shell Rotella T6 2.5 Gal $26 after rebate

Shell Rotella T6 deal 2.5 gal for $26 after rebate here: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/shell-rotella-t6-full-synthetic-5w-40-heavy-duty-motor-oil-25-gal-1292172 Rebate site...
  8. O

Couple of quick questions on glow plugs BEW

Does anyone have info on how to determine which glow plugs I have in my BEW? I remember having a recall done probably around 2007 or 2008 at which time the ECU was re-flashed to accommodate the new plugs. I can't don't remember if this was an update from the original plugs or if this was an...
  9. O

Slow leak is driving me nuts

I've got a slow leak in one wheel. I've had the tire remounted a number of times with new valves. Still leaks. I suspect it's the rim though it has no dings or deformity. I've heard that rims can "seep" air through them -- leak through the casting. If that's the case, is there a way to...
  10. O

Key Fob Funny

I found this to be amazing. After grubbing-out blackberry roots for a day, I put my very muddy overalls in the washer and put it on Heavy duty, hot water (a 108 minute wash cycle). Then I put them in the dryer on high for another hour. Oh, yeah, the key fob was in the pocket! When I...
  11. O

A couple of questions on the operation of the parking brake

I'd been having some problems with my parking brake holding on my '04 Golf and today I crawled underneath to assess the situation. All of the cables were intact, not broken or otherwise damaged. The calipers and everything underneath is relatively pristine -- no rust or corosion. Clean metal...
  12. O

Brake wear light came on but pads look fine

'04 Golf with 160K highway commuter miles. About 3 years ago, at about 130K miles, I performed this cars first brake job (rears only). I replaced the original rear pads and rotors. At that time, the fronts looked great so I didn't touch them. About a week ago, the brake wear indicator...
  13. O

Keyfob buttons have to be pressed hard to activate

I've rebuilt key fobs over time and have had few problems. On one of mine, the buttons used to activate (lock, unlock, trunk) work with a fairly light touch. More recently, I have to press quite firmly to get the activation. I've never had this happen. Replaced the batteries and no...
  14. O

What's the fix for the Golf rear folding seat release latch?

Went to load a weed whacker in the Golf last weekend and when I pulled on the 60/40 split seat release latch, it was no longer engaged. Just slops about not connected to anything. Anyone know the fix? How do I unlatch the seat back such that I can troubleshoot it? Oh...no I haven't looked in...
  15. O

WTB: MK4 Golf Glove Box Door -- Grey

Need a working, intact, undamaged, unmolested, grey glove box door for a 2004 Mk4 Golf. PM if you've got one! Thanks
  16. O

Rotting 04 Golf Muffler -- replace with what?

The muffler on my 04 Golf is rotting at the rear cap seam. Don't think it will last much longer. What does one replace the stock muffler with if quiet is the priority? I don't want a single db louder, do not want drone or increased turbo whistle...not interested. I'd straight pipe it if...
  17. O

Just did a Diesel Purge -- impressive!

143K on my '04 Golf. Decided to do a Diesel Purge today. Pulled fuse #28, hooked up some vinyl lines into the can of Diesel Purge, and let er rip. Varied RPMs from idle to rev limiter over probably 10 minutes before it ran dry. Took it out for a little run afterward and was really...
  18. O

Does a tune need to be re-done after a cam or turbo upgrade?

If you have a tune and you change out a cam to say, a Colt stage II, do you need to re-tune? How about if you replace your stock turbo with a VNT-17? BEW btw... thanks
  19. O

Which cam for BEW with some mods?

My current state of affairs: 2004 BEW Golf with 145K miles. Timing belt is now due (by time). Original cam and lifters. Custom Malone tune (1.5-ish?) done by Mark at TDIFest. South Bend Stage II clutch. CAT 2 fuel filtering. Dieselgeek bypass oil filtering. I'm soon to have the TB replaced...
  20. O

'04 Golf (BEW) Timing Belt Change Interval Question: Time vs. Miles

<UPDATED>'04 Golf (BEW) Timing Belt Change Interval Question: Time vs. Miles I drive about 12K miles yearly in my '04 Golf. The car has 142K miles on it currently. Going 80K miles between timing belts changes takes about 7 years. I'm thinking that the belt (and associated roller, tensioner...