Search results

1. nesdon

OBD EGR Monitor

Anyone know what the ECU is looking at to reset the EGR monitor during the drive cycle? Still struggling with my son's 98 AHU California smog certification. I am visiting and so trying to get is sorted out while I am here for a few days. When the EGR flex hose failed many years ago I just...
  2. nesdon

AHU EGR plumbing wanter

AHU EGR plumbing wanted Does anyone have a manifold, egr cooler and plumbing for a 1998 Jetta AHU? We are having trouble passing smog as we replaced a broken manifold a few years ago with an older version without the egr cooler. Now we want to try and restore it so it can pass.
  3. nesdon

Calif '98 AHU EGR setup needed

Does anyone have a manifold, egr cooler and plumbing for a 1998 Jetta AHU? We are having trouble passing smog as we replaced a broken manifold a few years ago with an older version without the egr cooler. Now we want to try and restore it so it can pass.
  4. nesdon

Busted turbo blow by

I got complacent at how little attention my 2009 CBEA Jetta sedan required, and made a few of 500 mile trips without checking my oil. I'd never needed any between changes, but at 137k I shoulda known better. Judging by the noise and subsequent behavior and that the oil was 3 qts low, I'm...
  5. nesdon

Cheap G450

Anybody used one of these inexpensive DPF pressure sensors?? Way too cheap, but on the other hand, given what it is, the OEM is even more way too expensive. Sort of a what can you lose for $15.
  6. nesdon

2012 JSW body parts

I'm having a hard time finding aftermarket body parts or even used parts for our 2012 Sport Wagon from little backing accident with a range rover. How I wish the NHTSA would mandate bumper heights, even tho I know it will never happen. This was a driveway thing at less than 5 mph but the bumper...
  7. nesdon

OBD button 2012 JSW

I hooked up my HEX+CAN USB Vag Com to my 2012 JSW for the first time (oil change shop did not reset the service light) and I don't get a connection. Just upgraded to 14.10.0, and used the interface yesterday on my 2009 sedan, but noticed that this one has a button on the knee guard with a image...
  8. nesdon

Variable cooling from AC

Have a 2012 JSW auto, that at about 50K miles started to cool poorly, took it to our frame shop (they've done excellent frame work in the past) which has started doing AC's, and they recharged and serviced it to the tune of $400 (without an approval). 5K miles later and it is working worse...
  9. nesdon

Will Running with a blown actuator damage turbo?

I was in LA for a funeral, and my kid borrowed my car and brought it home in limp mode with a stuck actuator code. I had to drive home the next day, so struggled over the grapevine and back up to the Bay Area in limp mode. I've determined (I think) that the actuator diaphragm(?) or some other...
  10. nesdon

Cleaning a 000175 stuck turbo

I've been reading though the threads here about turbo failures on Mk5's. I just threw that 000175/P00AF code on my 2009 manual Jetta, and see in block eleven that there is a pressure mismatch. I've found almost no talk about cleaning or trying to free up the the nozzle controls or actuator...
  11. nesdon

Cluster of TDI Syncros in Big Sur

Saw this beautiful TDI Doka Syncro hanging out with about 6 other TDI Syncros. Wow
  12. nesdon

2009 Jetta with severe rear damage

My car rolled down my driveway and backed into a tree. It's been totaled by my insurance, but I drove it for a week after the wreck, all doors and windows fit and work fine, and drives perfect. 60k miles, 2 week old Pirelli p5 tires. Trunk, rear windshield, bumper and left rear 1/4 dead. Roof...
  13. nesdon

Do I have to replace my AHU manifold to pass CA smog?

I've been struggling with my kid's poor running AHU for awhile. He got an excessive smoke ticket and since it was throwing various codes, he hasn't been able to register it. I couldn't get my brain around how an EGR could cause the severe bucking and black smoke and why unplugging the MAF...
  14. nesdon

Programming key fob

Anyone know the procedure for programming a key fob on a 98 AHU?
  15. nesdon

Black smoke, low throttle stumble

My son has a 1998 Jetta AHU. I had the pump built by Dumas Diesel in Long Beach CA, and then tried to get by without a timing belt adjustment tool, and it jumped time and wrecked the head. Frank rebuilt the head for me, (I could not find a single local machine shop who could sleeve the lifter...
  16. nesdon

AHU waste gate actuator adjustment

I just rebuilt my turbo, but the image in my Bentley manual did not match the actuator rod adjustment set up on this car, 98 Jetta TDI, and so i was a bit confused as to how to interpret the procedure. I think I set it wrong, which was with the wastegate just touching the port at rest. As I...
  17. nesdon

Chip mod to fix stalling

Any tuners know anything about modifying the ECU on 2009 Jettas to reduce the low RPM cut or add a short delay to allow recovery?
  18. nesdon

AHU turbo service

I have the head off my son's 98 jetta AHU with 130K m, and have the turbo in hand. The vanes on the fans look perfect, and turn fairly easily. The waste gate was sticking, and the actuator seems full of oil. I was still getting an intermittent boost code, 1550 maybe, I don't recall, after I...
  19. nesdon

Lifter blew up

My '98 Jetta jumped time and one of the lifters disintegrated, badly galling up its bore and the cam lobe. I assume valves are bent as well, but don't have the head off yet. Anyone familiar with repairing a lifter bore?
  20. nesdon

Pump builder in LA area

I'm going to do a timing belt job on my 98 Jetta, and want to send out the pump to have it resealed and calibrated/rebuilt while I'm at it. I used General Diesel in the past for my old 1.6 Golfs, but they seem to be gone. Any recommendations?