Search results

1. R

Best Most Bullet Proof Turbo upgrade for ALH

I used a VNT17 purchased from ID Parts. It is still in service and running awesome
  2. R

2002 jetta wagon part out

I am interested in the hatch cover - so if someone buys the whole car from you, I'd pay them for the hatchback plus shipping to NJ.
  3. R

BOUGHT FROM MEMBER - WTB - 2000 to 2005 5 Speed Manual Shift components to upgrade a 99.5 Mk3 style shifter

Like it says in the title, I am looking for a complete set of shift components to upgrade a 99.5 Mk3 style shifter on a 99.5 Jetta TDI. This means I need the shifter box, cables, counterbalance weight, carrier components and the shaft tower for the transmission. Thanks!
  4. R

WTB - 99.5 5 Speed Shift Lever

Looking for a shifter lever for a 99.5 Jetta TDI part number 1J0 711 112 B - To clarify this - I am looking for the shift lever that is inside of the car, not the linkage mechanism mounted to the transmission. If I am unable to find this part, then I will consider changing the car over to the...
  5. R

What to look for in a TDI beetle??

Last week I bought a 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, white with tan top and interior. It is a really nice car and a lot of fun to drive. Has the gauge package, nav, backup cam. I like the automatic trans as well. Had to upgrade my VCDS, and now I am ready to learn all about this new engine and...
  6. R

Timing belt advice, urgent! ASAP

The timing that is most critical to spare the engine from interference damage is Crank and Camshaft. The Injection Pump timing is critical to the engine firing, but doesn't matter in terms of valve interference... Make sure your flywheel mark is on the money and keep the camshaft perfectly...
  7. R

98 Beetle will not run

Make sure the ASV flapper is open.
  8. R

2000 jetta engine racing on warm start up and smoke

This is what a MkIV Does when it thinks its arctic cold outside and its really warm out. Do you have an codes? Most likely this is the coolant temp sensor.
  9. R

ALH TDI engine transplant into '84 Vanagon

I've had some issues with my McNally gauges (but they've fixed them at no charge) and they are kind of pricey, but the Oil Pressure / Oil Temp gauge would do the trick. Great work Andy!
  10. R

How does the asv work on engine shutdown?

This is a dangerous recommendation. The ASV will shut down an engine in a runaway condition. I've personally experienced that in my 98, when the turbo blew an oil seal and the engine ran away. This is not a throttle plate... Realize that there is nothing automatic about it... When you turn...
  11. R

WTB - Plastic Wiring Trough Lid 98 NB

Thanks so much for taking the time and posting this pic. Actually, I was able to find those parts and some others from a great member that PM'd me.
  12. R

WTB - Plastic Wiring Trough Lid 98 NB

Most likely these items are the same on all ALH setups. I am looking for the plastic wiring trough covers that cover the wiring from the back of the battery to the firewall. A mechanic I was insane to trust, returned my car missing those covers (As well as a bunch of other stuff) I cannot...
  13. R

**2002 Jetta GLS TDI Sedan for sale no reverse 01M

How much for the engine? Genuine interest for complete engine.
  14. R

Support/Lift Equipment, What Do You Use?

Those look like great options. I really love the mobility of the ML6. My wifes Enclave is really tight to lift in the garage, so I do it at the foot of my driveway. Levitation anyone? I do the same thing with my Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins pickup
  15. R

Our Dead Jetta...

I'd suggeest you get a local TDI guru to come visit you. This car is certainly savable. Realize that diesels need two things to run. Fuel and Compression. Certainly you shouldn't have any compression issues at the number of miles on the car. You need to get a clean fuel source and a hand...
  16. R

02 Golf no start

Sounds to me like a dead battery, or a bad connection at the battery, or ground.
  17. R

Andy - Interesting sleuthing. Hook up a temporary hot jumper lead to the fuel shutoff solenoid and start the van up. If this creates instant starts each time you try to start the car, you know you're on the right track.
  18. R

Andy - What year is the ECU?
  19. R

Blown VNT17 - Cartridge Separation

I installed a new VNT17 (from a trusted supplier) less than 2 years ago on my 1998 NB ALH - and put about 15k miles on it. It ran away on me, a couple blocks from home, but I was able to save it with the key. I pushed the car home and got it on the lift. Pulled the glow plugs and cleaned the...
  20. R

Andy... Wild story! I am glad you are ok! I am really glad that they weren't armed.