Search results

1. D

UFO Tracking Device

This is going to sound crazy ... but my Y2k Golf with 113k miles has begun to talk to me. For the last few weeks, every once in a while a Morse code like sound comes from the radio area. The message is always the same. dit dit dit dit dah dah dit dit dit, three times in a row. The volume is way...
  2. D

Squeaking Timing Belt

Thanks for the link. Sounds like this is not so uncommon. As to the belt history. I've driven car since day one, 24,000 miles a year, everyday. I had the original belt changed at 60,000 miles, which the notice under the hood said was the right time. The dealer replaced it 80,000 when the water...
  3. D

Squeaking Timing Belt

I've got a timing belt with 30k miles on it on my y2k Golf. On cold mornings I started getting a cyclic squeak. Thought it was the serpentine belt, fuel pump bearing, other timing belt bearings, water water pump, etc. I couldn't locate the stupid thing. Took it to dealer who said the belt was...
  4. D

Modifing Glow Plug Duration using Group 12???

Based on experience with fooling the IAT, I believe the two types of plug logic are different. The coolant plug logic goes like this: Is IAT below 32ish F degrees? If no, don't turn them on. If yes, is the ECT below about 180ish F? If yes, turn on one or more coolant plugs depending IAT...
  5. D

Crankcase Pressure

Been there. Overpressured crankcase blew oil past the turbo seals so fast, I had runaway engine in 15 minutes (plus lots of exhaust smoke, which should have tipped me off, doofus.) I caught it before redline--anti-shudder saved me. What I can't figure out is why the pressure under your cap but...
  6. D

"Interface Not Ready/Not Found"

\"Interface Not Ready/Not Found\" You're on, Uwe. Thanks.
  7. D

\"Interface Not Ready/Not Found\" Thanks Uwe and Velvetfoot. Yes, it's the DB9 connector. But to repair looks like you need a microscopic soldering gun to clear the connector of solder and then reinsert the wire. Is there some trick I don't know? (Glad to know it wasn't the adapter. Figured...
  8. D

\"Interface Not Ready/Not Found\" My way old Compaq and registered version 311 have been working perfectly for many moons. This morning, I hook up and when trying to open the engine controller, I get Fault #3, with a list of possible problems. So I go to Options, hit test, and the port tests...
  9. D

Is there any way to force coolant glow plugs on?

The resistor is in series. All it does is add resistance to what the IAT is sensing. The rocker switch runs across the resistor so that when the switch is open, the IAT sees the resistor, and when the switch is closed, the resistor is essentially ignored, and the circuit is back to stock. I...
  10. D

Is there any way to force coolant glow plugs on?

I inserted a 10k resistor in the IAT sensor circuit with a rocker switch in the cabin. When I flip the switch, IAT goes down to -15 F, or so. That triggers the glowplugs, and they stay on until the ECT reads about 70 C, or so. Yes, it warms the car up faster on a cold morning, but not...
  11. D

Srange grinding/rubbing noise on startup

Awesome write-up. My starter began the noise recently, so I pulled the starter (I hate the belly pan, and I managed to get it out all from above, however, it took me longer to get the battery and tray out than to get the starter out!) I just cleaned the business end and used some motor oil on...
  12. D

2000 Golf - Brake Question

I believe you have developed or are noticing the infamous "slowdown shudder". You can rule it out real easy. If you have a manual tranny, slow to a stop in neutral with the clutch in (little or no shudder) versus out (shudder). Go to the TDI FAQs to read all about it, if that's what it turns out...
  13. D

Can't find DTC code on Bentley

Can\'t find DTC code on Bentley Thanks. There's no problem with the car--I'm running a Pierburg, intake cleaned, etc. It pulls great. I cleared the Cel, and it hasn't come back. What really bothered me was that the DTC isn't documented by Bentley, at least no where I can find. I wonder where...
  14. D

Can't find DTC code on Bentley

Can\'t find DTC code on Bentley Just threw a cel 19586, or P3130, EGR limit exceeded, or something like that. Can't find the DTC on my Bentley CD. Anyone know anything about the code?
  15. D

Just got VAG-COM, lots of problems!!!

The heating element is bonded to the glass and cannot be replaced separately. "CattleRepairman" has actually fixed the heat element without replacing the mirror. (Can't find the thread.) I'm gearing up to try it myself.
  16. D

torque and HP

If it's not foggy, and you have your foglights on, you are a doofus. I love your signature!! Got a bumper sticker? However, I beg to differ with some of the stuff in the thread above. The ONLY thing that accelerates your car is force--on the pavement. Period. And what produces force on the...
  17. D

Strange Noise at 1800-2000rpm

This is probably not it, but I'd get a slight resonant viration passing 2k rpm everytime, regardless of throttle setting. Got real annoying. Then on a fluke, I advanced the static timing to upper range (it had been dead on the centerline). No more vibration.
  18. D

Bently Manual vs. Bently CD

I've found that the manual is great for showing how things go together, but the CD has more step by step diagnostic explanations. IMO, you've gotta have both.
  19. D

Starter experts needed!

Lately and randomly when I start and release the key I'll get a whistle sound that starts high and then drops low--kind of like when you're watching a war movie, and the bad guy shells are inbound, except that this whistle drops down and quits within a second or so. It sounds like it's coming...
  20. D

Defroster Button, non-auto.

The auto timed switch on my 00 Golf handles both the mirors and defroster. Wish it didn't. I had to mod the back side of it so I could route the mirror heat through a separate switch and keep them on independent of defroster.