Search results

1. Abacus

B4 TDI in Waldoboro Maine (Revkev), save it from the crusher!

I am in contact with Revkev, whose B4 I have worked on in the past extensively. Apparently rust has gotten hold and it's no longer fit for Maine inspections. He'd rather not have to send it to the crusher. Many good parts on it along with the running engine and tranny. It has .205 injectors as...
  2. Abacus

Is this groove on the intermediate shaft pulley normal?

I don't remember a groove on the intermediate shaft pulley, but then it's been a few years that I have done a timing belt that required it to come off. Is this normal? I ask because the seal backed out and got stuck on the pulley, which caused the oil to pump out of the engine and coat...
  3. Abacus

Older new Litens TB tensioner?

I ordered a TB tensioner and it arrived today, but it has a date code of the 20th week of 2005. Would you run it being 28 years old? It’s a new Litens and still in the package.
  4. Abacus

Yep, a VW is a VW no matter where you live.

Today I learned that it's not where the VW is from, it's that it's a VW and will throw you a curve ball regardless of location. Snoopy Smiles drove the 200 miles up from Tucson to have me work on one of her B4's again, this time it was the gray one I initially worked on. It's in nice shape and...
  5. Abacus

Lock decoder for B4

I have a pile of B4 door handles either I've bought from a junkyard or that people have donated. Some of these I've passed on to other members but the front door handles were always a pain to try and pick. I'd take a small strip of aluminum flashing and cut it down to fit in the lock, then...
  6. Abacus

Rust free B4 body price?

Someone local is considering selling their spare B4 sedan, but they want the motor and wiring harness for a swap. It’s local in Arizona and is rust free, but he’s not sure what it’d go for. It’s not mint with the typical clear coat issue. The color is maroon. He’s thinking of pulling the motor...
  7. Abacus

Driving from Arizona to Maine

So my plan is to head east on I-80 out of Denver (starting in Prescott, Arizona) and driving to New York, where I'll pick up I-84 to take me north. On the way back I'll take I-70 to Denver and then head south from there. Anyone need anything shuttled along the way? I'm driving my wife's Kia...
  8. Abacus

Driving across the country from AZ to ME, need anything hauled?

So I am driving my wife’s V6 SUV across the country and towing my 5x8 utility trailer. I’m driving from the Prescott, Arizona area to Maine and headed out I80, then back along I70. Does anyone need anything shipped across the country? I won’t have a lot of room on the way back due to having my...
  9. Abacus

Let’s talk wheel spacers

I have never liked the way a B4 looks since the rear wheels are set so far under the body. Does anyone run wheel spacers on the rear? Are there types to avoid? I would prefer the ones that use longer lug bolts since I see some are aluminum and I just don’t trust aluminum threads. What size? I...
  10. Abacus

Getting settled into the new place

So we have been slowly getting settled into the new place and work is busy, but going well. My apologies to everyone since I seem to be doing things in slow motion, but that should be ending since we're finally moved in. One of the things I needed to do was figure out what made the trip and...
  11. Abacus

'96 B4 Sedan in Arizona Junkyard, anyone need parts?

We moved to Prescott Arizona area last march and I finally went to the local U-Pick It a month ago. There was only one white '96 B4 GLX and it was pretty much stripped, but I did manage to get a few pieces off it like the rear ABS sensors and shield mounts. Yesterday there was a red '96 B4 TDI...
  12. Abacus

SOLD! Three 02A transmission 5th gear sets for sale.

These are all sold now, thank you! I have three CTN 02A (AHU/1Z) transmission 5th gear sets I pulled from wrecked transmissions. Two were due to broken cases and one transmission grenaded when the cross shaft came out, but 5th gear was unaffected. All three are in good shape but one has a tiny...
  13. Abacus

Anyone here live in Arizona?

It looks like we’re moving out in March of 2021 to the Prescott area. Anyone on this site live out there?
  14. Abacus

Updated! TONS of people looking for B4 parts, Revkev is parting one out!

I went over to see revkev last night to drop off a cluster so he could diagnose a flashing coolant light on the B4 he is keeping. The other one, his 1996 daily driver for many years, has too many issues and is leaving next weekend to the crusher. I only just learned about it last night. The...
  15. Abacus

1997 B4 Sedan for sale, lots of upgrades

Yes, I am selling my B4 Sedan. It's a 1997 with 453,704 miles on it. Now before you say that's high miles, this has been very well taken care of, with regular proper oil changes using the correct oil and larger filter. All the fluids are correct and all parts replaced were done so with good...
  16. Abacus

B4 suddenly running rough, weird injector balance

So W386 borrowed by B4 and drove 3 hours to pick something up for me, then drove home. He never shut the car off. It's now very lumpy and runs rough. It starts mostly ok when I started it yo grab this screenshot. It ran the same when warm with the same group 13. The IQ was lower (it's cold in...
  17. Abacus

06 BRM help needed: no power, rough running, engine sounds.

I was asked by a friend to look at a 2006 BRM Jetta TDI. I am very familiar with the 1Z/AHU platform but not with this one so I am here asking for some help. The car has 239K on it and has a standard transmission. It is in nice shape with no rust on it. The previous history is unknown and...
  18. Abacus

On vacation in Asheville May 24 -June 3

On vacation in Asheville, NC May 24 -June 3 Anyone around? We left the TDI at home this trip but I'm always up for meeting and conversing with some of the locals. We did bring the road and mountain bikes though. :D
  19. Abacus

Thoughts making a TDI Travel Emergency Contact List?

I have toyed with this idea for awhile and am going to get the ball rolling on it. The resurgence is due to helping someone out last night on a Facebook group who was traveling home to New York and broke down in North Carolina. I was able to help him out some but without a Vag-Com locally it...
  20. Abacus

Urgent help needed in Charlotte, NC...traveling and no throttle response

It is not me, I am just putting out the request. There is someone on Facebook I've been conversing with to try and get him up and going. He is off a rest area on I-77 around Charlotte and he lost the throttle response on his '97 B4. I've been on the phone with him for the last hour but he...