Search results

1. S

"Defective" in instrument display

Just happened tonight in an 05 gti it's in the centre display where the mpg etc etc is. It was ok this afternoon I pressed the toggle button on the end of the right hand stalk but nothing happened, anyone know what's wrong.
  2. S

Put a new diesel filter on and it's worse

On an 07 2.0 tdi All I did was change it to a new Bosch and now it stutters when in turbo, what's happened.
  3. S

Scrap or fix

I've recently got an 07 golf mk5 gt tdi sport the 170 it's high miles at 185000 and short mot ie month and half but needing a few things done.. Bonnet lease cables (both) Front control arms Possible steering rack as there's odd jerking movement left to right from it Pass side headlight as...
  4. S

How is this fixed

It's the same on the other side but not as bad
  5. S

Torn between the two

01 Golf 1.9 tdi 09 Leon 1.9 tdi When in the golf I miss the nimbleness better steering ect of the Leon then when in the Leon miss the solidness ect of the golf W t f do you do as I can't run both
  6. S

Build quality

I know it's not right doing this but it's just what I've noticed and is a sign of "progress" I've got a golf mk4 and 12 reg Passat the Passat in general is nice yes but the golf is more solid. Most significant for me so far is changing gear, on the Passat is very light and cheap feeling, the...
  7. S

Am I going to have problems

When putting a new battery in a 12 reg Passat 2.0 tdi, I've read about horrors of having to get the ecu coded ect. Good god had it now got the stage where you can't even put a bloody battery in without diagnostics ffs..... or is that bollox.
  8. S

Who does their own stuff

If you can that is.. I got "a taking to" the other day from the mechanic I*use saying why bother and that nobody does it now and that he wouldn't be arsed crawling under them or doing whatever in the street or drive. He made my think he's right as I'm getting pi55ed of with it plus I'm the...
  9. S

Why so much insurance

Not exactly a Golf but a Seat Arosa 1.4tdi I got one a few days ago as I cheap daily but was shocked at the insurance. It's an 03 the golf is a 01 I pay 200 a yr, this wee thing is 250! yes it's only 30 a yr for tax but folk said before I got it yes it's buttons to insure tax and run. Tax and...
  10. S

Is a badly bent/flattened/ rusted sill seam an mot fail

I've got some photos bit can't get them on but basically it's under the sill at the jacking points where some to55er obviously used that bit and bloody careless and buggered the seam. It's from the the bottom of the arch about a foot long. I thought about trying to "straighten" it as best I...
  11. S

What's left of the abs sensor

Mot up on an old 01 Mk4 Golf est,..the abs light's on and got the codes read saying it's the back left. I had to break the plastic housing to get it off but there's still a bit inside the hub. I've got a good photo but can get it on. The more looked at it though, I now cant get what's left out...
  12. S

Is this worth it

I have an old mk4 golf tdi estate and it's been a good old car apart from some wear and tear stuff, had never let me down but.. Would like to convert it to auto as I'm sick of changing gears. My other car is an old Merc C200k auto estate but in a way prefer the golf but driving the Merc really...
  13. S

I guess this could mean a million things

Went to see a car yesterday with a friend and doing an mot check it had advisories on "underbody damage" yes there was quite a bit underseal that was also advisories but apart from dents on the sill and not that bad. So what would be classes as this when it's not obvious to the eye.
  14. S

Still no radio after fitting new back aerial

There was always virtually nothing but cracking so got a new back aerial as the old one at the mount like many others others was worn ect on the inside. But after fitting yesterday there's still no bloody radio :mad: I took the radio out to check at the back and it all seems fine, what the hell...
  15. S

Still no radio after fitting new back aerial

There was always virtually nothing but cracking so got a new back aerial as the old like many others others was worn ect on the inside. But after fitting yesterday there's still no bloody radio :mad: I took the radio out to check at the back and it all seems fine, what the hell is wrong, is it...
  16. S

Getting the back door open

On the mk4 estate/ wagon I had the door card of checking a problem with the window motor and when putting it back on i forgot to hook up the metal rod for the inside handle. Now it doesn't open from inside or out. I know there's 2 screws at the bottom but because of the mouldings at the door...
  17. S

New front aftermarket wing or good second hand

I'm after both sides but don't know what to get, I don't want ones that don't line and second hand ones so far aren't great, not as bad as mine but.. Or can anybody recommend a good aftermarket panel maker on the bay of evil
  18. S

What's the opinions on

Yes i know this a VW forum but not much seems to happen in general auto so put it here.. An 06 RX8... apart from high tax ie 555 a year and high mpg ie 15-18 town and 20-25 max long trips. Anybody got or had one or knows anybody that has.
  19. S

Would this be ok to do

In a mk4 golf estate Carry an auto gearbox for a 530d, I know it'll be bloody heavy and don't know if it could take the weight, I'd sit it in the middle so to speak ie folding the back seats so it was more centred. I just don't want to break the suspension ect as I'll be doing about 200 miles.
  20. S

What's your views on

Electric power steering Personally I hate it, I've got it on an 06 focus mk2 with 3 settings "sport" "standard" " comfort" maybe it's me but there's no feel to it like conventional hydraulic. When I got it after a couple of days I thought this steering's weird plus on rough rds (and there's...