Search results

1. F

Where to get fuel tank mount straps for 1996 passat sedan?

i ordered straps from this place: http://www.vwaccessoriesandparts.com/a/Volkswagen__/48255830__6408135/FUEL-SYSTEM-COMPONENTS/9225930.html I'll post the results once i get them.
  2. F

well well, look what i found with some more googling: http://www.vwaccessoriesandparts.com/a/Volkswagen__/48255830__6408135/FUEL-SYSTEM-COMPONENTS/9225930.html
  3. F

thanks Ketchuposhirt88 ! will continue to search google...and post updates
  4. F

thanks john, i will give that a try and post any relevant info...
  5. F

thank Steve...i guess i'll have to start rooting around the used parts places
  6. F

Hi Folks, my straps are super rusted, i tried idparts and vw parts in michigan, but no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, would it be possible to make your own out of strap guage material? or substitute those fiberglass tied down rachett tools you find at home depot? any advice...
  7. F

changed timing belt, now black smoke, no power

once again the experts were correct! i made the boost tester, bought parts at home depot for less than $3 and in less than 15 minutes i had me a boost tester. hooked it up and in 20 seconds heard the leak. It was in a really inaccessible spot on the VW beetle: from the top of the air cooler...
  8. F

i am going to make a DIY boost/turbo tester and hopefully find the culprit.. hope it will be an easy fix !
  9. F

ok guys, thanks for your response especially the guru who never sleeps, Bruce. I will triple check the pipes connection and potential for leaks.. I did take them all apart after the problem surfaced so I am scratching my head as to where a leak could be .. Is there some kind of rig you can use...
  10. F

Hi Folks, 2006 new beetle, 121,000 miles on it. Ran fine before replacing timing belt: lots of power, no smoke. Replaced timing belt and followed instructions to a tee. All went well, started right up, idled nicely. Torsion setting is at .5. When i took it out for test spin, lots of black...
  11. F

VCDS connector for 2006 TDI Beetle

Hi Folks, I have a 1996 Passat TDI and i bought the vcds software and special dongle/connector for it.. I love it, greate and essential tool. I just now bought a 2006 Beetle TDI and my question is, do I have to buy a different connector to read the beetle's on board computer etc ? thanks, rick
  12. F

Engine noisier after turbo replacement

thanks Chris for the reply, I will look into your suggestions. As added diagnostic info, while replacing the turbo, I discovered that a previous repair job results in a little piece of metal sticking up where the down pipe gasket joins the turbo. This caused a slight leak that made the...
  13. F

Engine noisier after turbo replacement

Folks, I searched the threads about noisy engines and found some discussion but nothing conclusive( maybe there is no conclusion). I have a completely stock 1996 passat tdi. this winter i replaced the turbo with a stock turbo. I seemed to me that the engine got louder especially in the range...
  14. F

Did Vagcat.com parts look up go away?

thanks all for the responses. Thanks TonyJetta for the new site very helpful! rick
  15. F

Did Vagcat.com parts look up go away?

Hi Folks, I went to Vagcat website and tried to access the parts look up facility and when i try to goto the parts look up it doesn't go anywhere ? thanks, Rick
  16. F

Request for source for mini hose clamps for tdi turbo

OK Sold ! Tony, Logan thanks for your wisdom, this will save me searching all over to find source for those little buggers ! Rick
  17. F

Hi Loganbmx4gt, I did as a matter of fact, based on a nice posting on this forum. Bought the red, black and blue lines from McMasters. hmmm so no claps needed, even to be safe ?
  18. F

Hi Folks, I had to replace my turbo this weekend ( 1996 Passat TDI). I ordered it and in the meantime I am looking for a source of the mini hose clamps that hold the small control hoses onto the turbo it self. They appear to be made out of stainless steel and look like pinch clamps. The hoses...
  19. F

Request for advice on engine removal vs exhaust manifold removal

Hi Folks, I fixed the exhaust leak today. It turned out to be the gasket between the downpipe and the turbo. I crawled under and over the engine and with some heat removed the 4 nuts holding the down pipe to the turbo. It turned out that the nut that was the hardest to reach was only hand...
  20. F

Re-boot (Driveshafts)!

Hi Windex, I need to do the same thing to my 1996 Passat tdi.. did you buy the new OEM boots from a dealer or from one of the online TDI stores ? thanks for any info and thanks for posting the info. ! Rick