Search results

1. J.P.

BHW turbo: need tips from the experts for getting it off

The Passat is back on the road! Thanks for all the help everyone! The car smoked like a train as oil in the exhaust burned off, but it is running well. Moz, I could not get the intercooler off without moving the drivers side to service position. I just loosened the bolts on the bumper mount...
  2. J.P.

Thank you for the tip! I have a parts car to donate an IC and clean piping. Unfortunately, I'll have to get off outside in the snow in zero degree weather..... :)
  3. J.P.

I've got to figure out how to get the IC off! Any tips? I seem to remember that the front has to move to service position (which I am unsure of how to do).
  4. J.P.

Well, bummer. I'VE GOT TURBO BITS IN THE INTERCOOLER :-( I should not be surprised though. No evidence of metal anywhere else in the system, but the only place I can't thoroughly check is the hard pipe across the front of the car. QUESTION FOR THE EXPERTS: Do I need to replace the...
  5. J.P.

Based on doing more research here, I need to pull both oil lines, clean them thoroughly and make sure they are good. I will also plumb a temporary oil pressure gauge to evaluate my oil pressure. I'm still really concerned about turbo bits in my intercooler / charge piping getting in the engine...
  6. J.P.

WTB: Mk4 airbox, O2J TDI 5spd

Thanks for the responses. My son was downstate this weekend, and able to pick up an airbox for me so I am all set. The advantage of more densely populated areas for used parts :-) Still looking for a good TDI 02J 5spd.
  7. J.P.

It has had the BSM deleted by a previous owner who did the 6spd swap. Don't know if BSM delete was due to chain failure or preventative. The car was abused by a previous owner (deep scratches in the oil pan and on the front sway bar, etc). I've put 54k on the car since ownership (currently...
  8. J.P.

What did you do to your MKIV today?

Thank you AndyBees!
  9. J.P.

Thanks PickleRick! Is there a procedure to check oil drain issues? Also, here's my trashed turbo. I'm assuming the missing bits are downstream somewhere :-( Recommendation for what to do?
  10. turbo inlet vanes.jpg

turbo inlet vanes.jpg

11. J.P.

Thanks Moz, I learned something new! I've never seen an inverted torx that tiny, so it didn't even register as one. I probably would have replaced them with regular torx if I had known.....
  12. J.P.

Turbo is off. For those new to taking one off a BHW here's what worked for me: Take the intake manifold off. 1/4 drive ball end Allen wrench was key. Get all the vacuum components out of the way. I unbolted the vacuum canister and the N75 valve and moved them out of the way. Use heat on all...
  13. J.P.

Shoot, I can't remember how to get pictures in a thread. A picture of it is uploaded here: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?media/reman-bosch-alternator-with-rivited-voltage-regulator-jpg.151646/
  14. reman bosch alternator with rivited voltage regulator.jpg

reman bosch alternator with rivited voltage regulator.jpg

15. J.P.

New alternator, a fresh set of snow tires, all new vacuum lines, and the Silver Surfer is back to zipping around Michigan roads as my son's daily driver. 240k miles of Michigan road salt took its toll on the original alternator. I was proud of myself for removing the regulator in place in an...
  16. J.P.

Thanks for the response! I'll try and track down a 1/4-3/8 adapter (don't have one) and give it a shot. Any advice for confirming that I have oil flow to and from the turbo?
  17. J.P.

Let me know what you want for it. Maybe we can work out a deal where you throw in one of your b5.5 wagons too :-)
  18. J.P.

If you don't already have a buyer for this, I would love to own your car. I will fly out from...

If you don't already have a buyer for this, I would love to own your car. I will fly out from MI and drive it back. We are a TDI family with 3 in daily use here. One with 440k on it (bought from another TDI clubber). Jonathan 231-357-7911
  19. J.P.

I need a good air filter box for a MK4 ALH. Mine rolled off the workbench and seemed to shatter like glass :-( Both top and bottom are cracked. I don't know what the difference is between the diesel and gasser airboxes. If the gasser one is just missing the nipple for the vacuum line to N75...