Search results

1. S

TDI Oil Sources

I use Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic 5W40 in my TDI. I live in the Houston area, Conroe, and here is my source: Whitener Enterprises, Inc. PO Box 400 Cleveland, TX 77327 281-592-5891 I bought a case of gallons-six to the case for $74.49 or $12.415/gallon. They were very nice...
  2. S

Survey: U.S. DOE Interest in Clean Diesel Fuel Availability

If only the new low sulfur diesel is permitted to be sold, I believe that the market will provide an adequate number of outlets. The American market will learn what Europeans have enjoyed for years--an economical, clean burning diesel--and better with improvement. Unless diesel is cleaned...
  3. S

Auto transmission

Ontgolf, Unless you can remedy the situation by altering the manner and timing of your acceleration, I would not hesitate to let VW check out your transmission. The auto in my NB is very smooth when it shifts--up or down. I only wish that the auto was a 5-speed.
  4. S

Highway Cruise Surging

KO, I previously posted the following reply on the "bucking" engine problem. That was before I saw your posting. Sounds like your problem is even more like mine. Here's my previous posting: "At times, I have experienced the "bucking" to which you refer, but mine occurs only when...
  5. S

4 day old 2000 golf tdi w/auto stalls? help

JyroUSA.com, I have a 2000 NB auto with hand controls, and I can tell you that due to the "drive by wire" feature that your hand conrols won't operate as they do on mechanical linkage engines. Any pressure on the brake while advancing the "gas" will cut the gas. As you know, it is very...
  6. S

Engine Bucking: Has Anyone Found a Definitive Solution?

Ric Woodruff, At times, I have experienced the "bucking" to which you refer, but mine occurs only when the cruise is engaged and my speed is under 60. It doesn't "buck" violently, but slowly. The dealer blamed the diesel, but that's nonsense: I've owned a diesel with cruise, and it was...
  7. S

Only 3 free oil changes?

My experience should be like CTracer. I have it in writing from my dealer in Houston that I get free service at 5K, 10K, 15K, and 20K. My only hope now is that the dealer can read his agreement. Seth [This message has been edited by seth (edited March 06, 2000).]
  8. S

NB Gear ratios Gas vs. Diesel

BUG*PWR, Thanks for the data. From what I know about the abundant torque at cruise speed, it looks like the manual needs a sixth gear and the automatic needs a fifth gear. I would like to see about 2200 rpm at 70 mph. It feels like my engine would be comfortable there. Seth
  9. S

NB rear mat snaps.

BUG*PWR: How are the snaps you describe diffent from the standard snaps? Seth
  10. S

NB rear mat snaps.

BUG*PWR: How are the snaps you describe diffent from the standard snaps? Seth
  11. S

VWoA Sales

Fred, the new categories are a good idea, thanks. Now for my comment: Since many of us are all to familar with the quality of VW salespeople, the big surge in VW sales probably speaks volumes about the quality of the product.
  12. S

Gasoline VS Diesel

Thanks for the short and fairly simple post.
  13. S

TDI Manual vs Automatic

I own a 2000 NB with an auto & I share your impression of the quality of the transmission: it is very smooth & very peppy. I have never ridden in a manual transmission TDI, but it is my belief that the sound difference of the engine is due to the engine speed in the auto. VW needs to put the...
  14. S

Get Your Free Cupholder Now.....

Thanks for the post! I pulled down the VW Technical Bulletin to read and called the dealer where I bought my NB. The dealer, Advantage Volkswagon in Houston, knew exactly what part I was referring. He told me that they were going to ship what they had back to VW on 2/1/00. After checking...
  15. S

FUEL FILTER LONGEVITY

I learned very young on the farm that a diesel fuel filter can suddenly go bad. We had two easy ways to determine what had happened: 1. Excess smoke and a loss of power & 2. The fuel pressure would increase quiet a bit (the pressure of the fuel entering the fuel filter) Most diesel powered...
  16. S

How does your NB TDI run??

I think that all NB TDI's have a little dark stain on the rear bumper. My NB used to smoke much more that it does now on hard acceleration. The main reason seems to be more complete combustion allowed by a K&N air filter that I added. I still have a light coating of soot, but I 've been...
  17. S

2000 jetta GLS TDI automatic

I have a 2000 NB auto TDI, and my mileage has slowly increased since I purchased the car in Sept. The mileage is about 35/41 and on the increase. If you're new to diesels, just scan this site to find out the in's and out's of routine maintenance. In a nut shell, synthetic oil...
  18. S

Test drove TDI today!

Hey, you're about to make a great decision: the TDI is a wonderful experience-the longer you drive it, the more you like it. One word, don't worry about the excess smoke. My 2000 NB smoked some until I put a K&N air filter on it. I haven't noticed any smoke since.
  19. S

Price of NB

I purchased my NB from Advantage Volkswagon on Old Katy Rd in early Sept. Plan to pay the sticker price plus dealer add-ons. Don't give in immediately. Advantage seems pretty good, but stay away from my sales rep-Kathy Scott. She doesn't know jack about TDI's and lies about anything else. The...
  20. S

Wall Street Journal article

Todd, Thanks for the article. I haven't read my "Wall Street Journal". We've redefined "Sport Utility Vehicle". I'm having a blast driving my NB. I also get a lot of enjoyment in staying away from "the pump" more now that I drive a TDI.