Search results

1. kafer65

Left front door entery light sporatic disfunction

The red driver's door light that's supposed to come on when you open the door is producing a bulb out MIL on the dash due to its sporatic functioning. The overhead reading lights and the other door lights function perfectly every time. I've thoroughly cleaned it and even swapped it to the...
  2. kafer65

Speaker magnet falls in the door

My wife hears a thud in the passenger door and notices the sound coming from the left side is not right. Last night I pulled the door card off. Well, the speaker is still there and the tweeter is working but still the big one isn't working and its riveted into the door. Ok, I drill the rivets...
  3. kafer65

Collision damage drivability and repairs

My 98 Beetle collided, at speed, with a large dog last night. This morning I got a glimps of the damage. It looks like the composite "header" around the radiator is snapped in two at the bottom. At this point my main concern is what it may cost to get it road worthy vs. selling it for a...
  4. kafer65

door handle subassembly part?

I've found round about references but no solid part number or install/removal info on this. On my 1998 Beetle there seems to be a metal frame between the lock module and the handle. There is a phillips screw on the outside near where the handle hooks into the door sheetmetal that may be what...
  5. kafer65

98 Beetle with SALVAGE title manual trans

I bought it for the wife to commute with (47mpg). She wants an automatic, so waddaya gonna do? Asking REDUCED$2800 it has 144k miles. Its had a pretty good new paint job in the stock red color. Was hit on right rear which dinged the rear trailing arm a bit, but it drives great and had RC2 added...
  6. kafer65

Reverse light switch jams gears

I'm trying to put the older style reverse light switch back on top of the shifter lever on my 98 Beetle. Is there a trick to it? Should it be in a paticular gear? Every time I bolt it down it binds the gears. If I leave it off I can shift the gears just fine. I've tried facing the "cam" on the...
  7. kafer65

WTB-1998 Beetle shift lever 1J0711051B

Its the lever that slides onto the shaft coming out of the tranny and attaches to the cable responsible for forward and back motion of the shifter.
  8. kafer65

Early 98 Beetle low power problem

I have an AGR code engine (wastegated turbo) stock manual trans Beetle recently purchased used 135k miles. Its gutless! It has no codes and the following just maintained: Cat converter was clogged thus it was removed, intake was clogged (removed and cleaned), new air filter and clear...
  9. kafer65

Short shifted 06 Jetta

I cut down and rewelded the shifter components for side-to-side movement and up/down movement at the tranny. It was very easy to gain access and remove the parts. Regreasing the slider made for better shift quality as well. Surprisingly, the wife likes the aggressively short throws. It seems...
  10. kafer65

Noise from front driver's side that stops when I tap brakes

It sounds like a high pitch noisy tire or the ruffles they cut into roads to help with icy grip. I first tried slowing down but the frequency didn't change with speed. Kicked it out of gear with and without clutch engaged but it immediated stopped when I tapped the brakes. Could this be...
  11. kafer65

vacuum hose fretting

I have several areas that have fretting. I'd like to replace them one by one before they become a problem. Anyone done this yet. Is the size needed for the A5s the same as A4s.
  12. kafer65

BRM FMIC from factory?

I was getting to know the geograph in and around the engine bay inspecting the EGR cooler, looking for charge pipe leaks and could not find a side mount intercooler anywhere. I followed what I'm sure were the charge pipes that seemed to indicate the intercooler may be between the air...
  13. kafer65

Wrench warning symbol?

I have a symbol that appears at startup that looks like an opened end wrench. I can't find a reference to it in the owner's manual. I have the half sized info screen. It appears under the time.
  14. kafer65

Dead Battery or HVAC or brake switch or...

Started having problems Friday. First I get an engine light--something about glowplug #3 is what the autozone code reader produced. I pull them all out and measure right around 5 ohms for each one. No anomolies. Put off doing any more since I have VCDS coming soon and its warm enought to start...
  15. kafer65

FS: DMF and clutch from 06 jetta manual

If you just have to have a DMF as a replacement instead of a SMF:) I changed to a single mass flywheel in a used Jetta I bought. Dealer said they just replaced it=True. Almost no wear on the parts. Make an offer. I'm just looking to defray some of my own repair costs. I can supply pics.
  16. kafer65

Any immobilizer or other issues from battery disconnect

I want to hook up my seat heater to the x75 terminal in my 04 jetta. DIYs say to disconnect the neg. battery terminal. I'm guessing stock radio presets will go away but I'm more concerned with being able to get in and start the car. Is there a trick to it like leaving the key in the ignition...
  17. kafer65

One AFTERMARKET seat heater wiring

I'm very frustrated and tired. I've been trying to pull plastic panels all day. Still can't get the metal panel off under the steering wheel and now I'm wondering if I even need to go that far. Yes, I've looked--a lot and often at the related threads. I've got the fuse block hanging out of...
  18. kafer65

Rear middle seatbelt stuck fully retracted

I have an 04 Jetta that I can't get the belt to deal out from the fully retracted position. I just put new replacement covers on, but I don't see any reason why that would affect the retractor:confused:
  19. kafer65

TDI GLS vs GLI trim

I want to put aftermarket leather seat covers on my '04 Jetta. They have several patterns for Jetta's. Is there differences in the seats and door trim between my GLS and a GLI? Did they even make a GLI in a TDI for '04? I'm cornfused.
  20. kafer65

Power steering fluid for '04 Jetta?

I've searched to find comments like Pentosyn only, but nothing specific to my model. TDIparts shows Fuchs Titan ZH4300B.