Search results

1. ibanix

White smoke, when engine cold

Thanks for the advice! This is super helpful.
  2. ibanix

My mechanic has VAG-COM and I'm unsure about timing other than that he claimed it was fine. How would I go about get compression tested? Thanks!
  3. ibanix

Hi folks! After several years without a TDI, I picked up an '03 Jetta in rough shape. My current issue is a fairly large amount of white smoke when the engine is cold. Here's what I can tell you about the issue: * The smoke goes away when the car is at normal operating temperature * It...
  4. ibanix

Where to find trusted mechanic?

Is there a list of trusted TDI mechanics, regionally? Thanks, Joshua
  5. ibanix

Looking for trusted TDI mechanic, CT

Hi, I picked up a used '03 Jetta TDI, and I'm looking for a known/trusted mechanic who can give it a complete inspection, top to bottom. The vehicle has been sitting for ~2 years without use. I live in Connecticut, but I can get to most of Mass and some of eastern NY. Thanks! -Joshua
  6. ibanix

Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20151005_ap_1670ed00be824b4cbbf414ed1d637428.html "AP analysis: VW evasion likely led to dozens of deaths"
  7. ibanix

Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Welp, now our friends driving an Audi can join the club. http://www.wsj.com/articles/audi-confirms-2-1-million-cars-involved-in-emissions-scandal-1443436979?mod=e2fb
  8. ibanix

VW didn't commit fraud on gasoline cars. (Well, not that we know.) They have for some of their diesel cars. Isn't that what we're talking about? If you're trying to argue "oh it's not so bad, other cars also emit pollution", then you're having a different conversation, and not one I'm...
  9. ibanix

Hellbent? I was just quoting the dealer report the other poster had supplied. Engines produce lots of different pollutants - CO2, the nitrous oxides (NO and NO2, collectively NOx), VOCs, carbon monoxide, and large particulates. Different engines produce different types and quantities. Diesel...
  10. ibanix

Yeah, I can't help you there. The MPG looks to be roughly the same (27/45). It's possible they just have better engineering than VW does (but... Chevy?), or that they too cheated. But that is pure speculation.
  11. ibanix

I apologize. I wasn't aware that you were an authority in pollution control, emissions standards, and health impacts thereof.
  12. ibanix

The BMW 328d starts at $40k. I'm guessing BMW and MB threw more money at the problem.
  13. ibanix

Oh, I see. I wasn't saying *you* were to blame, I meant the dealer. Sorry for the confusion.
  14. ibanix

Geeze, that's just wrong. Why do you think this is such a big deal? The NOx emissions are responsible for both smog and respiratory problems. If it wasn't a problem, it wouldn't be regulated, and this would be no issue.
  15. ibanix

Haven't been active here in years, as I had to sell my '03 TDI some time ago (I miss it). Came back to see the commentary on the current VW scandal. Am disappointed that it has turned into a political mudslinging contest. I thought TDIClub was better than that :/