Search results

1. SmokinTDI

When I'm in reverse, 1st gear engages about 60% of time

Alright so when I'm in reverse, first gear will engage and the car will move forward. Apparently I had a broken 'connector sleeve' at the end of one of my linkages. So I just replaced all of them. The mechanic said that would cure the issue. However it did not. What could be causing this...
  2. SmokinTDI

Diagnose This Noise Please!!

Alright so my boss was driving my car when it began to make an odd noise (video below). The noise seems to begin when throttle is applied. I stopped by a couple shops to get their opinions, which are: bearings in the turbo or bearings on one of the pulleys. The is a 2003 (ALH) Jetta with...
  3. SmokinTDI

SmokinTDI - MKIV Jetta TDI - Round Two

Hello to all my fellow TDIers. I use to live on this forum in high school when I got my first MKIV Jetta GL. Sadley I had to sell it when I moved to Arizona for school about 4 years ago. Last week I awoke the bear when I purchased my new 2003 Jetta TDI GLS with 125,000 miles. I had the car...
  4. SmokinTDI

Car won't stay running

So I just bought a 2003 Jetta GLS TDI with 125000 miles on it. It had all the maintenance required and a clean title. Yesterday I had a shop cut off the exhaust from just after the downpipe and added 2.5 in straight pipes. It ran fine all day yesterday and last night. Today I couldn't find...
  5. SmokinTDI

Blown Head gasket? - White Smoke

Well first of all I'm in idiot. I was taking the oil out of my CCV mod and not even thinking I put the wrong peice back on and it plugged the CCV. It caused very excessive white smoke and now I have white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Is it the head gasket? Also, can the car be driven with...
  6. SmokinTDI

A Few Stock MKIV Parts

I was cleaning out the garage and found some parts. I'll take pictures at request. Stock Headlights Fog Light Wiring Kit Stock Exhuast Stock Headlight Switch Non-Euro Stock Side Markers Stock Clutch 65,000 Miles Stock Antenna Speedtuning USA power box... SOLD!
  7. SmokinTDI

Taillights - Tint film or spray?

I was wanting to smoke my taillights the cheap way (insufficient funds for new taillights :p). Which is the better way to go tint film or VHT NightShade? Pictures of each?
  8. SmokinTDI

Air Control's Don't Light Up

So my Air controls don't light up and I can't seem to find how to fix it. I checked to see if it was a blown fuse but I couldn't find a fuse that looked like it was for the lighting. Oh and the rest of the lights on my dash all work (radio, hazards, ect..) Any suggestions?
  9. SmokinTDI

FS: Fog Light Wiring Kit

I have a fog light wiring kit that i bought but never use. $45, I'll pay for the shipping. or if by strange change you have this.......I'll trade :rolleyes: Oh and I also have a used clutch (60,000 miles) if someone wants that for any reason.
  10. SmokinTDI

Glow Plug CEL

I got a CEL, so I checked it and it said #3 glow plug. I tried to mess with the gp harness hoping it was a connectivity issue but it didn't work. So I'm guessing it's time to change the glow plugs since they haven't been changed before (2003 Jetta). Do I need to change them all at once or just...
  11. SmokinTDI

How's my fuel mileage?

I drive about 95% in the city and get about 34mpg. Which I don't think is too bad because I have a heavy foot. Last week, I went on a trip to Canton, Missouri; about 220 miles from KC. Anyway, I decided I was finally going to get the best MPG's I could. So on the way up there, I started with...
  12. SmokinTDI

OEM Headlight Switch

I got a Euroswitch a while back, so I don't need my old one anymore. I saw it today and figured I would throw it on here to see if anyone wanted it. It's in really good shape and I'll take a picture of it if anyone wants to see it. Make an offer.:)
  13. SmokinTDI

Austin's 2003 Jetta

Here's my 2003 Jetta. I figure since I am starting to mod things; I should have a thread. Right now it has 77,777 miles on it.:) New Rims.... No close ups on the rims yet, they were too dirty.:rolleyes: And I'm missing a center cap on the right front rim because I just got...
  14. SmokinTDI

WTB: Euro headlight switch

I'm just lookin for a euro headlight switch. I'm about to order some headlights with fogs and I need to the switch for them. Perferably used or a cheap new one. As long as it's in good shape and works. Thanks :)
  15. SmokinTDI

Ebay Cheapo head lights....Which ones?

I've decided to get some ebay headlights but i'm hung up on which ones may be better. Has anyone got some headlights that they like from ebay? What do yall think of these?... A. B. C. or D. Thanks!:)
  16. SmokinTDI

Air Compressor Question

I know this isn't TDI related but it's about tools.:) I am getting an air compressor for my dad for his birthday. I was wondering what is the difference between oil lubricated compressors and oil free compressors? The air compressor would be used for just like tree shade mechanic stuff...
  17. SmokinTDI

Which EGT Gauge?

I'm getting gauges soon but I don't know what EGT gauge to get. Should I get the 0-1600 or 0-2000? I'm leaning towards the 2000 cuz I don't want to be maxing out the 1600. But then again I really don't know how hot the turbo gets and what it should not get. Thanks! 0-1600...
  18. SmokinTDI

FS: JL Audio Subs/Box/Amp

2 12in JL W3v2's in a JL wedge box ~ $300 OBO - Both subs have a like split in the very outside but it has been there since I bought them and hasn't grown or effected sounds quality. You can see it in the second picture towards the bottom right in both of the subs. JL 500/1 Amp ~ $300 OBO...
  19. SmokinTDI

A4 ECU Removal

How do you remove the ECU from a 2003 Jetta? I'm went outside to take it out (to send it to Jeff) and I realized I had no idea where it was at. :rolleyes: I think I just got a little overly excited. haha
  20. SmokinTDI

EGR fart?

So I just fixed an injector leak and now what I shut my car off I get a farting noise about 2 seconds after shut off.:confused: Here's a video of it... http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff38/SmokinTDI/?action=view&current=Jettafart.flv Why would it start doing this? or has it been doing this...