Search results

1. M

My first & last A-4 fuel tank R&R

Oilhammer---Can you explain the process for "dropping the beam"? Another writeup at vortex says, "Remove rear axle". When I "yanked a tank" at the junkyard, I didn't see an obvious path, so I ended up cutting some brake hoses and maybe some other things. (It was near closing time, so I was...
  2. M

Tie Rod-end How too???

Broken link. I think this is the right one: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2939561
  3. M

Diagnosing and Fixing Limp mode for A4 1.9TDI [low power troubleshooting]

@ CWI_TDI: That is an overboost code. So, yeah, the colder air is higher density, and would be easier to overboost than a higher temperature afternoon trip. I'm no guru, but I would look get a Mityvac and verify that the VNT actuator (a vacuum actuator with a nipple that faces downward attached...
  4. M

@ CWI_TDI: That is an overboost code. So, yeah, the colder air is higher density, and would be easier to overboost than a higher temperature afternoon trip. I'm no guru, but I would look get a Mityvac and verify that the VNT actuator (a vacuum actuator with a nipple that faces downward attached...
  5. M

ALH leaking vacuum pump

I went to buy an oil filter kit for the BRM engine, and was handed the same filter and O-ring set I get for my ALH engine. And to be clear, there are two seals involved. There is a purpose-built molded seal that matches one of the seal grooves and then there is another seal groove that you can...
  6. M

Winter Time Battery Maintenance

bump...for the first post: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=605746&postcount=1 It is October...
  7. M

Why you should not use solder on wiring harnesses.

Somehow I feel like I've typed this before, but here goes: Properly done crimping is fine. Properly done soldering is fine. The problem is: What defines "properly done"? I guarantee you that VW not only specifies which crimper to use for each crimp, they actually verify the process doesn't...
  8. M

Significant sudden electrical drain.. any ideas?

Here is the test for the radiator fans: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=242699 For manual AC, (not climatronic), it is basically: (1) Key on (engine off is fine) (2) AC button on (3) Fan (blower) selector not off (1 is fine) Now look under the hood and verify that both fans are...
  9. M

Significant sudden electrical drain.. any ideas?

Be sure to check the voltage drop across the fuses on top of the battery. You might try to do a test that turns on both radiator fans. My thermostatic switch acted wonky once and the only way to tell was that the radiator fan was on. If your fan isn't working, it could be that. I had to tap on...
  10. M

Altitude compression conversion chart

The numbers appear to be normalized density, that is, density at a particular altitude divided by the density at zero feet on a 15C day (that's like 59F exactly). If you go to page 135 of this 17MB pdf: http://www.pdas.com/refs/us76.pdf you can see almost the same numbers in the last column...
  11. M

5 speed tranny fluid?

I think you have this backwards. What is much more likely is that the engineers know the new oils are better, so they've reduced the margins (higher contact stresses, smaller components) and *required* the use of the better oils. In my opinion, you would be *crazy* to use an old oil.
  12. M

Silicone Hose and Viton hose part numbers

Is Josh saying I can replace the injector fuel return rubber lines with 3mm silicone? Do I really need to buy the Viton? (The Viton is much more expensive than the silicone.) Or am I just reading this wrong?
  13. M

Glow plugs 101 ***Ver. 2.0***

Jolio, Does each leg of the glow plug harness feel the same when it slides over the glow plug? Does one feel looser than the others? If you have a spare glow plug, you can just use that to check the fit of each leg of the harness. I had a loose one, and I had to remove the black...
  14. M

You had a hard start after a timing belt change? And it's now about 850 miles after your timing belt? I wouldn't start it until you check the belt tension. You might even see if you can get the injector pump pin in to show it's in the right spot. Or Vag-com. Scary.
  15. M

You had a hard start after a timing belt change? And it's now about 850 miles after your timing belt? I wouldn't start it until you check the belt tension. You might even see if you can get the injector pump pin in to show it's in the right spot. Or Vag-com. Scary.
  16. M

Yes. 5/32" is literally 0.15625", and I've seen them labeled both 0.156 inches and 0.157 inches. You might check at a local auto parts store---They're pretty common. Just don't get the 0.195 inch ones. Autozone has one online that is "weatherproof". The regular ones are cheaper, but you can...
  17. M

A couple days ago, someone asked about a replacement connector to use to replace the glow plug harness connection to the glow plug. I've had a loose one for about 2 years, but I have never thought of anything---until now. I started thinking of analogies. What looks like that? Didn't I buy a...
  18. M

How to replace your MkIV's front wheel bearings

I know this is generally true---you can't separate the hub from the bearing without pulling the inner race out of the bearing. But is this true in the sense of---"I've got a damaged hub, can I cut it from the bearing piece by piece and press in a new hub?" I don't have one here to look at, but...
  19. M

Golf camping and cargo conversion

There is a snippet of the original post archived at the Wayback Machine: http://web.archive.org/web/20090226202123/http://home.comcast.net/~tyrj/vw_cargo/ I emailed the original poster to see if he has any of the original files---I haven't heard anything yet.
  20. M

How to replace your MkIV's front wheel bearings

If I were you, I'd repost this question in TDI101. This isn't a good place for it. Also, really try to be specific about when it happens and where you think it's coming from. My guesses would be loose engine mount or dogbone, or a dual-mass flywheel (DMF), but there are other, more likely things.