Search results

1. Richy_T

Reverse gear gone.

I actually wasn't sure which direction to do it but the issue is resolved now as above, thanks. (For anyone who needs to know, reverse is all the way down and then the weight to the back of the car).
  2. Richy_T

Reverse gear gone.

Turns out I took the slack out in the wrong direction. I repeated, pulling the cables away from the springs and it's now working fine. Though I'd still like to do the dieselgeek fixes to tighten things up.
  3. Richy_T

Reverse gear gone.

I've been having a little trouble with 1st for a while and have been meaning to do the gears adjustment. Yesterday, I had trouble getting into reverse a couple of times and today, I just can't get it in there. I went ahead and did the gear adjustment and it doesn't seem any better. Now, when I...
  4. Richy_T

MK4 ALH: Dual or Single Mass Fly Wheel

I went to SM at a bit over 100k miles. I didn't notice any difference (Dual mass looked like it had locked up somehow anyway) and it's been nearly 200k on it since. Would recommend.
  5. Richy_T

Frost Heater Cable Question

Good to know. I bet it could be replaced but probably requires some disassembly then. I think I'll be able to get away with just applying some rubber spooge but I've always kinda wanted to come up with a more elegant solution than having a cable dangling out of the front.
  6. Richy_T

Beetle frostheater

If it helps, I installed a frostheater many years ago and it's well worth the cost many times over. Not sure what the shipping to Canada actually is and whether you could find a way to reduce that. Edit: Ooh, $53.25. Still worth it but if you can cut that down, that'd be better.
  7. Richy_T

DIY: How to fix air blend door MK4 TDI no cabin heat problem

I did this recently and it's better but it's still not great. I miss having good AC.
  8. Richy_T

Frost Heater Cable Question

I've had a frost heater installed for many years now on my 2000 and it's served me well. I haven't been using the car as much recently but yesterday, plugged it in because of the snow. I though that the frost heater wasn't working but it seems that it was probably just too cold for the snow on...
  9. Richy_T

Check your radiator/condenser fan operation NOW

I think it's fine. I had a good look when I had the whole thing apart. I may just try tinning the fuse connectors as CantWrite suggested.
  10. Richy_T

That's a good idea actually. I was wondering about thickening them with some copper foil or something but a little solder might work fine. Though it might backfire if the fuse gets hot enough to melt the solder :D
  11. Richy_T

Last alarm cause with vag-com?

The problem is, it's very intermittent. I'll try and get a good look next time it happens though. But I've got replacing the latches on my todo list anyway. The front is definitely messed up and the back is starting to misbehave. I was mostly wondering which to prioritize.
  12. Richy_T

Just to follow up on my situation, it was the fuse. It's still intermittently a problem. It seems it will settle into a position where the contacts don't properly touch the fuse. Moving it slightly will make things work again for a while. Typically I only get to find out when I'm several minutes...
  13. Richy_T

Last alarm cause with vag-com?

So I'm getting intermittent alarms. Likely culprit is one of my left-side doors. I've read that you can check the last five alarm sources with vag-com from reading the central convenience module (46). Unfortunately, to the best of my checking, I don't have this module. Am I out of luck? My...
  14. Richy_T

Yes, that one. I have another replacement but I suspect that that's not going to be the issue. Definitely the duty cycle is off though so I'm thinking it's the 12V, signal or possibly ground wires themselves.
  15. Richy_T

Ugh. So that lasted a week. Then no a/c. So I checked the fusebox and if I jiggled the fuse, the a/c would cut in and out so I disassembled the fusebox, cleaned up the contacts and the fuse, reassembled, checked continuity and put it all back and... now nothing, not even with jiggling the fuse...
  16. Richy_T

Depending on how far along it is, you are possibly looking at foam showers for many miles to come (no need to ask me how I know)...
  17. Richy_T

So it was the G65 sensor. Performed a full check and it was showing either 0 or 100% duty cycle. Interestingly, the day after it started working again and I had fan spin when I went to use the car in the morning but it was only intermittent. $15 from Amazon and an easy replacement (designed to...
  18. Richy_T

This was on the low side if I recall correctly. The high side gauge wasn't showing anything. Problem is fixed though, see below. The air gates on these cars are covered in a foam that degrades and flakes off, leaving big holes for the air to blow through and not be directed properly. If your...
  19. Richy_T

So here's where I'm at. New fans in. I can get either speed via the temperature sensor on the radiator so they're both good. Looks like probably only one of the previously cheapy replacement ones was probably bad but good riddance. Low speed AC-on test fails. All fuses good. 3 in cabin, 2...
  20. Richy_T

Did the sensor test and nothing for either on low and high speed only on the big fan. Guess I'm ordering up a new set.