Search results

1. ts888

Anyone ever ALH swap a Honda Element?

I have been gifted a 2003 Element. It's AWD, manual. Mechanically it's OK, 190k miles, no major faults outstanding, clutch feels OK. The K24 runs fine, but it's not a diesel... The engine compartment is pretty big, and the setup -- engine mounted transverse, transmission on the left side --...
  2. ts888

Is it OK to share cars for sale that are not mine?

There is a car ALH fans may find of interest in Seattle that is listed in "Parts", not cars FS (a common mistake, based on my observations.) I'll post a link if it's OK.
  3. ts888

Random non-diesel Mk4 thought

We've a 2004 R32 at the shop right now getting the transmission rebuilt. Customer called Friday and wanted me to pull the cluster so he can send it off for some modification. He brought me another R32 cluster as a temporary replacement. Is his car going to start with a different cluster...
  4. ts888

Thinking about next summer...

'03 ALH manual, all stock -- All through last summer, I had a recurring IQ fault -- the IQ would go below minimum spec at idle in hot weather (85f+), and once in a while the engine would die. Always restarted. Sometimes the CEL/GPL would go off on their own, sometimes I would have to clear the...
  5. ts888

PD injectors or cam?

There's an '04 PD wagon for sale near me, seller states in the ad that it needs injectors (which makes his $2500 asking price a bit optimistic). Odo shows about 255k miles. I don't really need another car, but then who does... PD people, would you expect the injectors to really be shot, or...
  6. ts888

New car repair lingo

Went to a class last week on hybrid and EV electrical systems. This is the first automotive tech class I have attended that included the phrase "blast radius." "Sorry about the damage to your Range Rover, Ma'am. It was within the blast radius of the Tesla that used to be in the corner. If...
  7. ts888

Some days my job...

... is more fun.
  8. ts888

Jet A is more or less diesel...

...so this is more or less a TDI, right? best of craigslist: Jet Powered Volkswagen Beetle
  9. ts888

Having crazy thoughts again...

My '03 diesel wagon has a kinda beat shell -- no rust, it's a PNW car, but it has been used hard, has a branded title, and is just generally tatty. Silver paint is tired, driver fender and door dented, underneath it looks like it was dropped on a log, dented all the way across under the front...
  10. ts888

Yes I searched... DRL question

Can the DRL's be turned off with VCDS?
  11. ts888

Fool gauge

My experience after a fill -- first 200-ish miles, needle pegged on 1/1. Next 200-ish miles, needle moves down to 1/2. Final 200-ish miles, needle moves to empty. It's not really a problem, just an observation. The gauge is accurate where it matters -- after the low fuel light comes on --...
  12. ts888

Established a "normal" baseline

I finally made it through a full tank that was what I would call "normal" use -- all driving (aka no extended periods of idling), and a decent mix of highway and stop and go -- no urban where I live, but my commute has 4 intersections and speeds ranging from 25 to 45 (legally 55, but no one ever...
  13. ts888

Maybe I asked in the wrong place...

Is anyone successfully using this Dension unit... Dension GBL3VW1 – Enfig Car Stereo ... with a double DIN Monsoon in a MKIV? I just want to be able to stream some Pandora from my Android phone or the old iPod on road trips. Don't need phone calls or navigation.
  14. ts888

connecting android phone to stereo

Is anyone successfully using this Dension unit... Dension GBL3VW1 – Enfig Car Stereo ... with a double DIN Monsoon in a MKIV? I just want to be able to stream some Pandora from my Android phone or the old iPod on road trips. Don't need phone calls or navigation.
  15. ts888

BEW MAF fault success

2004 Jetta wagon came in with a MAF fault about 2 months ago. Boss's kid scanignosed it and replaced the MAF sensor. It was back the next day, MAF replaced again as warranty. It was back again the next day, I took over. MAF reading at idle was 400ish (against a max spec of 300). I probed...
  16. ts888

Argh! Lost it again!

Help! I have found and lost at least twice now the thread that lists the coding for "relaxing" the EGR activation to an off-highway configuration. I have searched EGR delete, EGR coding, and still no love. I thought I had bookmarked or printed to PDF or something, but alas, it is gone. Does...
  17. ts888

Bentley manual question

I tried searching, but 'Bentley' is a rather common word on this forum... Is there a fully digital version of the MKIV Bentley? I haven't had a CD reader on a laptop for years. If no, I'll chase a print copy. Thx
  18. ts888

ALH serpentine tensioner mounting

When I removed the old tensioner, only 2 bolts were in it -- the shorter two. The long bolt was AWOL. I have now discovered that the hole in the IP bracket for the longer bolt is... odd. It appears to have threads, but an M8 bolt will slip in without threading, and an M10 bolt is too big. Is...
  19. ts888

Doors

My '03 wagon has some body damage, so I'm on the hunt for a driver door, driver fender and possibly a bumper cover. Do All MKIV's share front doors? The Golf doors look very similar. I assume only 4 door cars would be the same, 2 door cars would have longer doors.
  20. ts888

l(No longer) WTB ALH turbo oil feed pipe PNW (sorry newb blunder)

Hi all, I need an oil feed pipe for an ALH, the pipe that runs from the oil filter housing around the transmission end of the engine, to the turbo. I'm in the Columbia Gorge, willing to pay shipping or pick up in a 75 mile radius. Apparently, there are eleventy thousand braided steel...