Search results

1. ts888

Anyone ever ALH swap a Honda Element?

Yeah, I was thinking last night more about gear ratios, etc. Probably not worth the effort, even with a free car. We did VTEC solenoid for the customer a year or so back. The engine is quiet, so unlikely the timing chain/guides/tensioner need any immediate attention. I think I'll drive if...
  2. ts888

Anyone ever ALH swap a Honda Element?

I have been gifted a 2003 Element. It's AWD, manual. Mechanically it's OK, 190k miles, no major faults outstanding, clutch feels OK. The K24 runs fine, but it's not a diesel... The engine compartment is pretty big, and the setup -- engine mounted transverse, transmission on the left side --...
  3. ts888

ALH air in fuel lines after sitting overnight

I should check this. I get a bubble in the clear line when the car sits overnight. Doesn't affect starting or running, but it still bugs me...
  4. ts888

Is it OK to share cars for sale that are not mine?

Well OK then... For sale, not mine! 2002 vw golf tdi alh 5-speed - auto parts - by owner - vehicle automotive sale - craigslist There are 5 or 6 decent ALH cars for sale on CL in the US PNW right now, mostly manuals.
  5. ts888

Is it OK to share cars for sale that are not mine?

There is a car ALH fans may find of interest in Seattle that is listed in "Parts", not cars FS (a common mistake, based on my observations.) I'll post a link if it's OK.
  6. ts888

ALH Alternator Replacement

9 minutes of that is fiddling with the hood release lever... 🤡
  7. ts888

What did you do to your MKIV today?

Finally retired my battery, a VW branded one dated 2012. In the last couple weeks it has been unenthusiastic about starting the car on cold mornings, I have had to jump it a couple of times. Confirmed the alternator was still humping, so I tested the battery and the verdict from the Snappy...
  8. ts888

PLEASE HELP 06 jetta tdi

...and WHY is the fan always running? I'd start by checking relay(s), since fans almost always get power from a relay. Is there a relay that is getting a switching signal when it should not? AC and coolant temperature sensor are the primary source of fan requests, so those need to be evaluated.
  9. ts888

Need wiring diagram

Bentley manual has diagrams, also you can do a short subscription to VW Erwin and download them.
  10. ts888

Where does this heat shield go?

I'm pretty sure that shield is just there so you can leave it off and join the "I left it off" club.
  11. ts888

Yes, Frostheater.
  12. canadian-flag-at-half-mast-DX3932-2214755760.jpg

canadian-flag-at-half-mast-DX3932-2214755760.jpg

13. ts888

Had it with the ABS.

Ideally you want a residual pressure valve and a proportioning valve, both of which are widely available. I do disk brake conversions on vintage cars regularly, setting up brake bias is a critical part of delivering a safe car.
  14. ts888

Had it with the ABS.

Might be time to resign the ABS module to the trash and make up some brake pipes. ABS is nice, but not necessary.
  15. ts888

Finished up getting the driving lights mounted. I suck at taking pictures of the process... I'm *doing* the process. I could never make a living on Yoot Toob. Here are pictures of the finished product. Just imagine that behind each of the socket head screws you see there is a threaded rod...
  16. 20240307_180212.jpg

20240307_180212.jpg

17. 20240306_183039.jpg

20240306_183039.jpg

18. 20240306_183031.jpg

20240306_183031.jpg

19. ts888

Lets talk impact guns

I'm the dinosaur at the shop, I still use air. My 1/4 and 3/8 are Matco, 1/2 is a Snappy that will loosen anything, all are at least 7 years old. They get oiled every day. The juniors have a bunch of battery Matco, Snappy, and Milwaukee stuff. The tool truck boys talk them into upgrades...