Search results

1. Highwaylizard

Long Crank

Top of the pump was dry with a layer of dust on it.
  2. Highwaylizard

Long Crank

I haven't had a chance to check the top of the tank/fuel pump yet as we have been slammed at the shop but when I went to start the car today it started with no problems. It sat outside on level ground since Monday with over night temperatures in the 20's and daytime temperatures in the 40's...
  3. Highwaylizard

Just me...or is there an unusually large number of "new members" in the past few weeks?

I don't post much first off because I'm a novice when it comes to TDI's and I spend most of my time here reading posts and trying to learn as much as I can. When I do post it's because I've encountered a problem I cannot figure out on my own. Sorry - I know that comes across as rather...
  4. Highwaylizard

Long Crank

Not yet as I was not sure of where to start. I will inspect the top of the lift tank and post back up. At work and its a bit cold here. I will see if I can get the car inside the shop here and take a look later this evening. Thank you for the guidance.
  5. Highwaylizard

Long Crank

Okay I have found that if I prime the system using my handheld scanner the car starts up every time without any problems. I am leaning toward a loss of fuel pressure when the car sits. The loss of pressure/long crank happens in a shorter period of time when the car sits facing uphill. A few...
  6. Highwaylizard

Long Crank

Checked all the nuts on the fuel lines and all were tight. Opened up the fuel filter canister and inspected. Found some flecks of material but they were not metallic. Took pictures but could not figure out how to post them in this post so here is a link to the album I created...
  7. IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

Flecks in the bottom of the fuel filter housing. They are not metallic.
  8. IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

Fuel Filter after about 17,000 miles
  9. IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

Flecks in the bottom of fuel filter housing. They are not metallic
  10. Fuel/Long Start

Fuel/Long Start

Fuel Filter
  11. Highwaylizard

Long Crank

No work done on the car that preceeded the long crank issue. I still need to get out in the garage and see if any of the nuts on the fuel lines need snugged up but plan to do that this afternoon.
  12. Highwaylizard

Long Crank

Ran the previous tank out to below the 1/8 tank mark and fueled up at my usual station. I work out of town for part of the week and the car sits while I am working. I went to start the car today and it was one of the longest cranks I have ever had. I am going to check the nuts on the fuel...
  13. Highwaylizard

Horrible MPG, but car runs excellently? 2012 Jetta Sportwagen

I'm sorry - what aspect are you referring to when you say "that"? Soot? High engine temperatures? Frequent regens?
  14. Highwaylizard

Long Crank

Will do - thank you
  15. Highwaylizard

Long Crank

Also doing it now if sitting on level ground. Air temperatures here are above freezing - could it still be possible that it is the intercooler collecting moisture? I am beginning to wonder if I got some fuel with water in it at the last fill-up. I filled up on 2-29-2024 ( a Thursday) at a...
  16. Highwaylizard

Long Crank

Thank you for the feedback. I should have mentioned that I ran an intercooler block all winter. Would intercooler condensation still be an issue from a cold start? Both starts, starting car to get out of the garage and starting the car to get it back in the garage, were cold starts.
  17. Highwaylizard

Long Crank

So seeing as how it was a nice day yesterday I backed my 2014 JSW CJAA TDI 6M out of the garage so I could clean the garage. Car sat in the driveway a few hours before I moved it back inside. The driveway is at an angle, although not a severe angle. When I went to start the car it was a long...
  18. Highwaylizard

What did you do to your MkVI-A6 today?

I'm currently sorting through issues that I believe are DPF related/generated. Mileage is down, coolant temperatures are up from a normally consistent 191 degrees to 202-208 degrees, fans run constantly, regens never end, and now I am finding soot in the tail pipe. No codes or CEL but I am...
  19. Highwaylizard

Horrible MPG, but car runs excellently? 2012 Jetta Sportwagen

Same problems and similar symptoms. Short background: 2014 JSW TDI 6M all stock. Third owner at 160,000 miles and have a little over 170,000 miles with just over a year of ownership. I have a fair amount of experience in fuel economy research and testing with gasoline engines but none with...