Search results

1. Leadbettr

Check your radiator/condenser fan operation NOW

Great advice thanks. Where can I find Nitrogen or an adapter for a scuba tank fitting? I haven't seen that anywhere. On a side note, I would haven loved to have bought a can of nitrogen with added dye to find my leak.
  2. Leadbettr

I'll vacuum and replace the drier. But can I clean/flush the system like you can in the coolent system?
  3. Leadbettr

So. I found the hissing. Perhaps the gas can I was using previously was too low to get enough pressure to show the crack. The condenser is leaking from inside the radiator sandwich on one of what perhaps is called a "Reservoir" (the thick tubes where the coils would be making their u-turns). I...
  4. Leadbettr

Possible to just replace the water pump without a new timing belt?

I do all my own work until I run out of time or I don't have/can't make/can't fake the right tool. 90% of my working on cars is on the side of some road or in the woods. It's not the best, I don't love it. I've had Top Shop swap two engines for me to save time. Once because I was living in that...
  5. Leadbettr

So out of curiosity I wired the middle (low speed) wire of the small fan to the high speed wire of the small fan. That caused both fans to run when I jump the plug from the thermo. Actually jumping both low and high speeds work in this modification at the thermo plug. But the fans don't run on...
  6. Leadbettr

Egg on my face. Could it be that simple? Nothing....when I directly power the middle wire on both fans (#2&3?) and Ol on my multimeter (overload) when I check the resistance. High fans when I power the wire on the flat side (#1&3?) and zero resistance. This whole time...I've just had blown...
  7. Leadbettr

Fantastic information. Exactly the level of help I'm looking for. Thank you. I just put in dye and heard a massive hiss coming from near the drier. So I guess that's my issue. I don't know why I didn't hear it before. It'll won't be dark enough for the uv light here for 5 or so more hours...
  8. Leadbettr

I used to live In SB back when I had Vanagons so I got to know Top Shop well. I really recommend Willy and his crew. He's honest and takes care of you.
  9. Leadbettr

I actually didn't directly test the fans. I was too preoccupied with testing the FCM. I'll do that first thing. Yeah I can see the clutch on the compressor starting when I press the AC button. But I see no cooling from the air coming out of the vents, even at highway speeds. Like I said above...
  10. Leadbettr

I'm looking for some confirmation. I've followed DanG's fan mechanics guide "A4_Coolant_Fan_testing_Rev_7" and I'm not getting slow speed from my fans. When I jump at the thermo 1&2 I get nothing. 2&3 gives me high speed. There's a new fuse box on top of the battery (they old one melted), all...
  11. Leadbettr

Work was busy there for a while. Thanks for your patience. It's running tight and smooth. Haha disasters avoided. Towed my car to Top Shop Automotive in Goleta and had them install a timing belt kit from ID Parts. Thanks folks for all of the help and brainstorming. I appreciated the support...
  12. Leadbettr

The pump is out and swapped. It was definitely failing and leaking at the pump shaft. There is a lot of play. I went to bed before I finished reassembling. It's nosy as fck sleeping next to this LA freeway.
  13. Leadbettr

Which kit can be overnighted? Do you have an address near by I could walk to? Does it come with the tools? Thanks! Currently at the Cracker Barrel in Realto
  14. Leadbettr

I'm open to other suggestions if ya have any that fit my nonexistent schedule. It's Saturday and I'm stuck in a Cracker Barrel parking lot. I'm gonna start wrenching in around two hours. But yeah I'd prefer to do it right but I can't wait a week or more for a mechanic if there even are any...
  15. Leadbettr

https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/how-to-replace-a-mkiv-alh-diesel-injection-pump-without-changing-the-timing-belt.284004/ http://www.metalnerd.com/catalog/category/6267972 I found this write up on swapping the IP and it seems like I definitely need the timing belt tools. I guess I...
  16. Leadbettr

Look, thank you for even taking your time to read this and respond. I'm happy to have some support getting this moved forward. I'm happy to work on my TDI and get to know her project by project. I've been loving it this engine and car since I bought it. And denying requests from folks to buy it...
  17. Leadbettr

Yeah this sound right on what I mean. And I just swapped in that new motor mount last November. Haha So do the steps as normal...How do you mean "lock stuff"? I don't have the tools that fit in the vacuum pump and the like.
  18. Leadbettr

The belt came with the yard engine. The belt and pump are $150 from the parts store. I know I'd be double paying on parts but it's still cheaper than a shop and much much sooner... The parts wouldn't arrive for at least a few days to a week.
  19. Leadbettr

100% agree it's worth doing right. I do need it now for like 2 weeks. Then I'll do it proper. This is what I am thinking. Mongler you elaborate more on what you you're saying here?