Search results

1. J

New member, low mileage '98 Jetta

My dad taught her how to drive stick on the car so it's very sentimental to her as well. That's why it was her request out of the whole lot. Of my two daughters this is the one I trust to take care of the car. My other daughter got the Legacy he had which was previously my wife's...
  2. J

It's been a year and I never got back to this thread. I ended up getting all the parts corrected for the pulley issue and got the motor running. Timing came out perfect on my first shot according to the Vag-Com. It was definitely off a little before. I sourced out all the rear brake disc...
  3. J

Well they work good still, but it also wasn't used a lot obviously. It took me a while to remember how to get them to do auto up/down, but I got it after a few tries. The rain guards cause them to kick back down occasionally though so I'll probably pull those out. Just too tight in there with...
  4. J

It got Ziebart when new. That's why the underbody is all black.
  5. J

Had the fans on high with the AC on when going to emissions and back. No issues beyond the AC needs a charge. Was more cool than cold. What is the foam coming out issue?
  6. J

Look at the pictures and you'll see the issue. The black is probably well protected under the red. LOL
  7. J

Waiting on a new pulley that bolts to harmonic balancer and drives power steering. Last one in the US is headed to me from NJ. Ran into and issue with the current pulley when putting the car back together last weekend. That will finish up timing belt and water pump and hoses replacement...
  8. J

Photos of interior and underneath the car. Some other people questioned if it had rust or the true condition of it all.
  9. J

100% keeper. All four of the vehicles I got are either extremely low mileage or very low for their age and are in like new condition. They all have some sort of sentimental value to us so they will be kept and cared for as such. I have vag-com. Just sold my 2019 Alltrack SEL with 14k miles...
  10. J

Time capsule is exactly how it feels when I was driving it. The seating position, open cabin and large glass space definitely brings back fond memories of older cars. Sticker was ~$18.9k, but my Dad paid a little under $17k according to the receipt. I don't think anyone is paying that for an...
  11. J

It's Tornado Red. Still has the window sticker in with the manuals.
  12. J

Cars arrived safe and dirty on Saturday. Took both for emissions and baths that day as well. Didn't drive her on the 16 year old tires any more than that because I wanted to work on her first. Dealt with the Crossfire first since it was closer to being road worthy and then pulled the Jetta...
  13. J

Rotella t6 alternatives

T6 is all gone near me in Portland. The Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w40 is rated for the VW spec and is on sale at Walmart for $25 for the 5qrt jug. They have a rebate where you can buy 2 jugs and get $25 back or buy 4 and get $50 back. Buy one get one free essentially after rebate. I use that...
  14. J

The Jetta and the Crossfire left Cleveland this morning. Due in Portland on the 29th. This picture from my brother reminded me that my dad changed the headlights a few years back because the stock ones were so dim for his old eyes. I don't care for the way they look, but he said they actually...
  15. J

See post #4. As soon as she arrives I'll get some posted. On a side noted I ordered everything to do timing belt, water pump, replace old hoses and other 24 year old car maintenance.
  16. J

I'm just going to do it all because of age. I had a Maxima that I replaced the belt and water pump on at 60k. They didn't have to be changed together, but it was recommended just because of the crap you had to pull off to get to either was the same. That replacement pump ended up leaking at...
  17. J

My mom found the paperwork on the timing belt. Like I said, I remembered discussing it with my dad, but was thinking it was like five years ago. Turns out was 2009 at 44k miles. They did all the rollers, tensioner, water pump and accessory belt and coolant flush at the time. It was just over...
  18. J

It goes on the truck 4/21 or 4/22 and gets delivered between 4/28 and 5/1. I'll take pictures then. I don't have any pictures on hand of it otherwise. I'm sure I have some in old photos buried on the home computer from visits back home. I know I drove it quite a bit in the summer of 2011...
  19. J

Hey everyone! Thought I would join up as I'll be receiving my dad's old Jetta soon along with some other cars. He passed away in November and we've been dealing with dividing up the estate. He was a car nut, but not in the expensive, flashy way. More of the interesting, oddball, or...