Search results

1. Zak99b5

Correct Torque

If a wheel is stuck to the hub but good, just reinstall the lug bolts but leave them 1-2 threads loose from snug. Then drive around the block. You'll know when she breaks free.
  2. Zak99b5

It aint nothing but a dog bone on a TDI...

I had the stiff poly insert in the dogbone of my 18T GTI. It was a nice improvement. I bought a stock replacement for the worn out dogbone in the TDI tho.
  3. Zak99b5

83 Quantum - not mine...yet

Dasher & Quantum were both called Passat in Europe, I believe (B1 and B2). The wagon versions of those cars were great.
  4. Zak99b5

What the clutch Chuck

I don't think it HAS to come off to R&R the clutch. But I removed mine because I didn't want to end up breaking it if the tranny slipped or rolled unexptectedly. It only takes a minute.
  5. Zak99b5

What the clutch Chuck

Not when the engine is resting on a jack, though. But yes that would be a good solution if you're using an engine support bar.
  6. Zak99b5

What the clutch Chuck

For the life of me, I couldn't get a solid hold on the pax flange bolt with the tranny in the car, so I left it on (didn't want to strip the head) and pulled the tranny anyway. The flange did indeed hang up on the flywheel, but with enough wrestling I got it down and out. With the tranny in...
  7. Zak99b5

Replacing a headliner in my Jetta

Yes, the b!tch clips. I think its 42 Draft Designs that has a nice, clear photo DIY on how to remove them. I have it bookmarked at home.
  8. Zak99b5

Ok thanks for clarifying. I was hoping you might be able to fineagle it past the pillars, but it makes sense they need to come out. Not seeing how the parcel shelf needs to come out though.
  9. Zak99b5

2002 Golf - I'm back in a TDI!

Weren't hardwood floors inside trunks & hatches a thing in like the early 2000s? But this is functional (y)
  10. Zak99b5

Refinishing a Set of Avus Rims

Got the last two painted. Going to be too cold & breezy to clear today.
  11. IMG_1229.jpeg

IMG_1229.jpeg

All four painted
  12. Zak99b5

Refinishing a Set of Avus Rims

Got the Duplicolor silver at an O’Reilly's. side by side with the Rustoleum: I can’t see a difference. Going to do the other two wheels today and shoot the clear after I get new charcoal filters for my mask.
  13. Zak99b5

2002 Golf - I'm back in a TDI!

Yes! I hate those big Avus caps. Tabs break, logo gets dented when trying to pop them on, and they are not cheap to replace. Ones that cover just the center hole are what I’m looking for. I think 60mm outer size would be good, and the skinny part of the clips is like 57mm. The ones I ordered...
  14. IMG_1223.jpeg

IMG_1223.jpeg

Duplicolor vs Rustoleum wheel silver
  15. Zak99b5

TB Interval- Mileage v. Time

Plus, on a B5 you can just swing the entire rad support open like a gate (A/C hoses bend at the "hinge") and have TONS of room to do the belt comfortably. No PIA frame rail or motor mount in the way.
  16. Zak99b5

It aint nothing but a dog bone on a TDI...

'Twould. Four easy bolts. You're supposed to replace them, but I don't think its mission-critical. I noticed a distinct improvement in shifting, throttle response, and handling even after I replaced mine.
  17. Zak99b5

I'm doing this job (recovering the headliner) this summer. Sure, the staples I used to tack up the old saggy one have a certain Red Green allure, but alas I don't drive a K-car (or two duct taped together). So you don't need to remove the A, B, and C pillars to get the headliner out on a MkIV...
  18. Zak99b5

VW TDI MK4 Manual transmission issue

Back in the very early 80s my friend's sister had a 70s Camaro with an 8 track. She'd crank up Some Girls and Parallel Lines (Blondie) on that thing when she'd drive us around. I thought it was awesome lol.
  19. Zak99b5

FS Black cloth MkIV Jetta GL seats Albany NY $150

No, not flippable like the 2-door seats are. If you need frequent access they would probably be a pain. If only once in a while, you could slide them all the way forward and crank the backrest all the way forward.
  20. Zak99b5

FS Black cloth MkIV Jetta GL seats Albany NY $150

They need a bit of cleaning, but they're not filthy.