Search results

1. R

05 BEW starter won't engage

I started having issues starting my 2005 Jetta BEW wagon 5-speed a few months ago. It sounded like it was skipping teeth on the flywheel or something but would start. It gradually got worse and I finally decided to replace the starter with a new (reman) one. Well that actually made it much...
  2. R

Rear main seal leaking

I neglected to change out my rear main seal when I did my clutch a couple years ago and now I suspect it has started to leak a little bit. What issues might I see by letting this continue besides the occasional drips on the driveway? I really don't want to have to take the transmission out again.
  3. R

FS: KP39 turbo

Used KP39 off 2005 BEW with 267.5K miles, I upgraded to a VNT17 last year. Engine was not using any oil and there is little to no shaft play and good actuator. $200 OBO I have pictures upon request.
  4. R

VNT-17 & upgraded IC plumbing help on BEW

I have a strong suspicion I have a leak or 2 (holes) in my stock SMIC. Looking to upgrade it but keep the same location and look. I have found several aftermarket SMIC out there for the 1.8t gasser and hear they fit but use regular hose fittings with hose clamps vs the clip on BEW style that I...
  5. R

Major oil companies do not carry Biodiesel

I recently went on a month long trip with my goal of using at least a B20 blend for the trip. I covered about 3000 miles during this time and only found one station along my route that carried B10. I also brought with me 7 gallons of B100 to blend just in case. I was using 6 different...
  6. R

Strange water leak in my car

Recently when I had my car’s front end jacked up about 2 feet higher than the back for about a month (working on the transmission). I started to notice it was very moist inside my car, I couldn’t figure out why my windows were fogging up from the inside until I looked at the floor behind the...
  7. R

Car is finally sorted out

At the recent GTG I was telling some people that until that morning it had been more than a year since my car had been running 100%. It started when I got a recall on the glow plugs from VW. I had received a letter earlier in the year and sat on it for some time, never going in. Then they sent...
  8. R

5th gear change – don’t do it/ issues

Has anyone done the 5th gear upgrade on 02J tranny? First of all, you can not just “slide” these gears off using a heat gun. If you think you can just heat them up to 100 degrees Celsius and they will just slide right off you are wrong. It took me the better part of 3 hours using a heat gun on...
  9. R

Audi A4 (B6) Convertible TDI

I have looked in the forum but could not determine how hard/ easy this might be to do. I am looking at the possibility of doing a 2004 or 2005 Audi A4 Convertible swap to TDI engine from a 2004 or 2005 Jetta. Provided you have both cars is this a direct swap or is there a lot of modifications...
  10. R

Clutch won’t fully disengage - Help

2005 Jetta 5 speed - My wife was driving it and all of a sudden she could no longer shift gears like she was not pushing the clutch all the way in. We had it towed home and in the driveway I tried a few things. With the clutch all the way to the floor and the motor running, I could not put it...
  11. R

My fleabay search experience

I had been searching for a few months for a new used TDI wagon, specifically 96 to 97 Passat TDI Wagon or 02 to 05 Jetta TDI Wagon with the manual trans. I came across this one...
  12. R

Damaged 96 Passat worth buying?

Found this on Ebay and wondered if it would be worth considering http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130087383276&rd=1,1 Was wondering if some others out there have had similar damage and how much it cost them to fix. I...