Search results

1. B

Timing belt failure... need some advise

Thanks. He's a ford diesel tech. Not a vw guy. We know they are unique motors but they work. We are gonna check the lifters. I don't want to get it torn down and back together only to pull the engine so I am leery of skimping on it. I have a machine shop already to go through the valves if we...
  2. B

I haven't done anything other than retime it. I've been trying to make sense of what everyone here is telling me and what my buddy is telling me. At this point I plan to pull everything down and follow Franko6's advise. If we see anything that looks bad we will pull it down further. I have...
  3. B

I'm just trying to make an informed decision. I'm not ignoring anyone. I have a friend that is telling me one thing and the internet is telling me another. Just trying to compile all the answers. We are gonna tear it down and see what all has to be done.
  4. B

Thanks franko6. I don't know why I just saw this. Wouldn't have posted my last post.
  5. B

Just wanted to follow up... we ran a compression test today before we did anything but get it back in time and ran between 395 and 415 across the board. My buddy is a Ford diesel mechanic and his logic makes sense.... it makes even compression across the board... why pull the head.... what are...
  6. B

Thanks. I think for the simplicity I will follow the advice from TurboABA and buy the head. Might still order the colt cam to be sure I dont have to tear it down the rest of the cars life. Car has 270k on it now. Want to hit 450k at least. Top end rebuild should help and just did clutch and...
  7. B

Well from what I have read people change camshafts in the BRM more often than 6.0 ford's get head jobs.
  8. B

We didn't check timing before hand. But I was just thinking logically if by chance there was no contact and what we saw was valve relief and lost timing enough to lose compression it and just died. It's a big gamble. I guess you're right... just need to replace from the head down. It's only...
  9. B

Does anyone have any experience having a timing belt lose teeth on the cam shaft side? I still had teeth on the crank side. Also is there valve relief cut into the piston head? We are looking at everything and what is the possibility that it only skipped a tooth or two and didn't make contact...
  10. B

Thanks. I'm getting ahold of a machine shop now. And as far as the neglect... I thought timing belt change was 100k... lesson learned 😬
  11. B

Thanks. Is there anything else I should look at while everything is torn down? I am planning on cleaning up the egr valve while it's out. Am I better off deleting it?
  12. B

I mean you still haven't offered any advice on what to look out for to aid what I have already mentioned. I am asking for help on what to look out for while I am diving into this problem. If I was aware of all the details I wouldn't be asking for help. If you don't want to help then don't. There...
  13. B

It's timed out ok. But I had heard that I needed to send the head off and get all the valves checked.
  14. B

BRM motors are notorious for cam failures. You replace cams every 60k miles if you buy OEM. But if you are someone who is familiar with timing belt failures you would know how deep to dive. Thats what I need.
  15. B

Thanks. I've heard that and just wanted to confirm with someone that is familiar with this repair. We have seen with the bore scope that there was contact and I don't want to rebuild it today and then rebuild it again in a month or two.
  16. B

Long story short... timing belt teeth stripped and towed the car to the shop. I don't want to buy a new used beater car due to insane car prices and feel its better to just rebuild. So far, we have done the water pump and timing belt and the car makes compression and will run. We found that the...
  17. B

Rough sounds at idle

Thanks for all the input. Im hoping to order it soon now that the holidays are over. And then the fun begins on the change out.
  18. B

Rough sounds at idle

Does this kit include the flywheel or just the clutch?
  19. B

Rough sounds at idle

I just watched a YouTube video talking about not getting an ultralight smf. To get a heavy one. Is there any truth to that theory?
  20. B

Rough sounds at idle

That makes sense. I'll start looking around at parts. The bad part is this jetta is sitting at 256k miles and has other wear items that I want to hit as well but its a bad time of year to go dropping money like that.