Search results

1. R

Instruments lights?

Is there a way to make the instrument lights be on when the car is running, without having the headlights on? I'm asking because when it is sunny and I'm using sunglasses it's difficult to see the instrument cluster.
  2. R

Key insert sensor wire?

I've been looking all over the place and can't find the circuit /wire that is the key inserted circuit/wire. I've installed an after market radio and want to use the key inserted (hot when key is in the ignition switch) as the "ACC" wire for the radio. Can anyone point to this circuit /wire...
  3. R

Rim repair?

I go skiing a lot
  4. R

Rim repair?

My tire chains trashed my rims (see photo). Does anyone have any recommendations on how to repair this and make it look better? I know how to prevent this from happening again, but I would like try to make them look a little better. Thanks Rick Mck
  5. 22-2-14_4.36.02PM.jpg

22-2-14_4.36.02PM.jpg

Chain damage 2
  6. 22-2-14_4.37.13PM.jpg

22-2-14_4.37.13PM.jpg

Chain damage 1
  7. R

Cruise control stalk?

Thanks. I figured it would be a job and a half. I will take your advice and not mess with it. Thanks
  8. R

Cruise control stalk?

My mk5 has a separate stalk for the cruise control. Can a combination turn signal & cruise control stalk be installed or retrofitted? The 2nd stalk drives me crazy.
  9. R

BRM cam replacement?

Great advice and thank you, on the 200k mark. I will not fret about it until I get near that mark.
  10. R

BRM cam replacement?

Thanks for the advice. I will pull the cover next oil change. Yes I started using mos2 & Cera tech. Is 10k mi, OK for oil change interval? Or should I stick with 5k mi?
  11. R

BRM cam replacement?

Thanks. I inspected the cam about 5k ago, and right now everything looks good. I'm asking because it seems like this is a common failure. I've had a replace the flywheel, and most of turbo plumbing (turbo OK), at around 90k! I need to check the ERG cooler as I'm getting a bit exhaust smell in...
  12. R

BRM cam replacement?

I have a 2006 mk5 BRM, with only 100k miles on it. Should I replace the cam and followers before they potentially fail, or wait until they fail? Thanks Rick McK
  13. R

MFA P0101 Implausible Signal?

I'm throwing a P0101 code. It takes 30 - 50 miles to trip. Will make a poof of black smoke when I punch it. Tail pipes are black, with some soot on the bumper area. We have checked for vacuum leaks (none). Checked both high and low pressure sides of the turbo plumbing, all is OK. Fuel filter is...
  14. R

Where- how to buy a rebuilt or used Mk5 BRM

I need either a good used (drivable or rebuildable), or rebuilt Mk5 BRM motor. Does anyone have suggestions or reconditions?
  15. R

2006 6 speed Automatic transmission?

My Brm, 2006, 6 speed Automatic transmission has about 95k miles on it. My question is should I change the transmission oil? Thanks
  16. R

Tdi mechanic in Seattle?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a TDI mechanic in the Seattle area?
  17. R

650Ma current drain?

Found the issue. I took me awhile to understand exactly how to do the test. Found a great YouTube about it. Clear all failt codes. Open all doors and flip all the latches, including the hood. Lock the doors, and let it sit for 1 hour. Then the car will (should) be fully asleep. Check the mV...
  18. R

After market seat heating pads?

I've installed after market seat heating pads in several cars, but not a VW with a "seat occupied sensor" (SOS), and in seat airbags? Do I need to do anything special on the right seat bottom? I'm asking because some MFG don't put heating pads on the part of the seat with the SOS. Next, do I...
  19. R

After market radio - CAN BUS error- battery drain

I think I found a solution. The Multimedia player came with a plug & play adapter plug. I cut the wires between the new plug and the unit to isolate the 12 V continuous & 12v switched power. For the 12v continuous power (20 A-multimedia player sleep), and wired it directly to an open terminal on...
  20. R

After market radio - CAN BUS error- battery drain

Hi. It took me a while but I finally figured out my sleep current drain, thanks to Ross-Tech. I installed a android multimedia player that came with a adaptor plug and a special "CAN BUS box". The bummer is something is not correct as, I get a 19-CAN Gateway -- Status: Malfunction 0010, and a...