Search results

1. C

Best tires for good MPG?

Hi, just curious for your input regarding what kind of tires to get. I have a Mk7 Golf SEL, so the rims are 18". Hoping to find something that's a good balance of all weather, durability, and MPG for those wheels.
  2. C

Low RR Tires for 18" rims?

Hi, I just got a new-to-me 2015 Golf TDI SEL and it needs new tires. I figure, might as well put some eco-mpg-friendly tires on there, but there does not seem to be any marketed as such for my specialty wheel size. Nor do I see rolling resistance rating specifically described anywhere. Any...
  3. C

Glow Plug Light and Lost Power

My 2005 Jetta BEW has been starting harder and harder in the last few weeks, today and yesterday especially (I live in moderate climate). Just now, as I was driving uphill, the glow plug light started coming on intermittently and when it was on, the engine returned to idle. It did it maybe 8...
  4. C

MPG issues - ECT sensor, wobbly engine, more stuff...

Hi, so, I'm new to all this, but learning. Right about the time I confirmed that my MPG is not what it should be (<30mpg), my engine threw a code P0117, which I guess is a coolant temperature sensor. Reading online, they said symptoms include poor performance at low temperatures, hard starting...
  5. C

I need to replace some fuel lines, any recommendations?

I'm planning to replace the four fuel lines on the top of the engine that run too and from the fuel filter, but I want to make sure I get ones that are good with biodiesel. Any recommendations?
  6. C

New to fixing cars... what should I do myself?

Hi. I'm reasonably mechanically capable, but I have very little experience with cars. I've replaced a couple alternators and fuel filters in my life, but oddly never changed any oil, or really done anything else. But I'm willing to try. Anyway, I took my new-to-me 2005 Jetta 1.9L to a...
  7. C

My mechanic said not to use biodiesel...

Hi! I had a 2001 Golf TDI years ago and ran it on biodiesel and loved it. I recently bought a 2005 Jetta 1.9L and took it to a mechanic to look over. They specialize in VWs. He said not to put biodiesel in it because it will swell some valves or gaskets or something (sorry I didn't get...
  8. C

2004 Jetta vs 2005 Passat

Hi! I'm looking to buy a used TDI and low-cost to maintain is my priority. I'm looking at a used: 2004 Jetta with 278k miles, manual transmission and 2005 Passat, 90k miles, newly replaced automatic transmission. Both have new timing belts. Assuming that the conditions are otherwise equal...