Search results

1. C

Best tires for good MPG?

Hi, just curious for your input regarding what kind of tires to get. I have a Mk7 Golf SEL, so the rims are 18". Hoping to find something that's a good balance of all weather, durability, and MPG for those wheels.
  2. C

Low RR Tires for 18" rims?

Hi, I just got a new-to-me 2015 Golf TDI SEL and it needs new tires. I figure, might as well put some eco-mpg-friendly tires on there, but there does not seem to be any marketed as such for my specialty wheel size. Nor do I see rolling resistance rating specifically described anywhere. Any...
  3. C

Glow Plug Light and Lost Power

@Vince Waldon , thanks! I guess I will take it to a mechanic. My ScanGuage didn't catch anything. (I wouldn't describe my issue as a flashing glow plug light -- too intermittent -- but that's alright. The answer is "see a mechanic" anyway :) )
  4. C

Glow Plug Light and Lost Power

My 2005 Jetta BEW has been starting harder and harder in the last few weeks, today and yesterday especially (I live in moderate climate). Just now, as I was driving uphill, the glow plug light started coming on intermittently and when it was on, the engine returned to idle. It did it maybe 8...
  5. C

MPG issues - ECT sensor, wobbly engine, more stuff...

Thanks @JB05. That's the silver thing that says Bosch on, it to the right of the cylinder head (standing by the bumper), right? With the engine cool I wiped around it with a rag and smelled it, and didn't find a fuel smell. Is there a better way to check, or do you think that's sufficient?
  6. C

Changed the ECT and air filter, and it's like a new engine. Much smoother.
  7. C

Hi, so, I'm new to all this, but learning. Right about the time I confirmed that my MPG is not what it should be (<30mpg), my engine threw a code P0117, which I guess is a coolant temperature sensor. Reading online, they said symptoms include poor performance at low temperatures, hard starting...
  8. C

I need to replace some fuel lines, any recommendations?

Nevermind -- I figured out what the choices are.
  9. C

I need to replace some fuel lines, any recommendations?

I'm planning to replace the four fuel lines on the top of the engine that run too and from the fuel filter, but I want to make sure I get ones that are good with biodiesel. Any recommendations?
  10. C

New to fixing cars... what should I do myself?

Thanks @TomasRowley98! I just have pliers and screwdrivers and stuff, but my friend has some metric wrenches (socket and otherwise) I can go over and borrow. He might even have some torx bits. I just changed the fuel filter today (which I've done before bit its been awhile), and I'm having...
  11. C

Checking for used tools is a great idea. Thanks for that reminder. I got a sawzall for next to nothing on Craigslist one time. Same price as renting on from Home Depot, except you get a tool at the end.
  12. C

Ran out of Diesel . . . now what???

@csstevej Thanks! Sorry, in the last post I forgot to say that I got it started. I had been cranking the engine for a few seconds here and there, sometimes a few times in a row, but didn't want to drain the battery and also it just didn't seem right. I checked the fuel filter and it was...
  13. C

Ran out of Diesel . . . now what???

Yeah, in 25 years of driving, this is the first time. In my case, it's a new-to-me car, analogue fuel gauge with a 1-2 gal margin of error, single parent running around from one barely-keeping-up moment to the next in a pandemic with no childcare, and finally trying to go to a specific fuel...
  14. C

Thanks Rrusse11!
  15. C

Thanks guys -- I got it. Turns out, I just needed to turn the key to the 'on' position and wait a few minutes (5 or 6) and it started finally.
  16. C

@IndigoBlueWagon thanks. If I turn the key to the 'on' position, does the pump run continually, or do I need to continue to put the key in and out of the 'on' position to get it to keep pumping? I'm pretty sure I hear it, but I hear a lot of stuff start up when I turn the key. I'll keep trying.
  17. C

Follow up question... is there a particular brand of repair manual you recommend?
  18. C

Thank you so much @MukGyver @IndigoBlueWagon @Ol'Rattler @Mongler98 for your help and encouragement! Those links are really helpful. I feel inspired about the fuel lines and valve cover -- I'll first check that it's tight. I have another issue going on that I'm hoping for some help on. I...
  19. C

My mechanic said not to use biodiesel...

@CleverUserName you're right, that's where I am. I looked into what yo said and you're totally right. Maybe you already know this, but it looks like it's all about aromatic hydrocarbons. Aromatics cause some seals to swell; biodiesel has more than petroleum diesel, and renewable diesel has...