Search results

1. P

1998 Jetta TDI, 1.9L AHU Engine, 5 Speed Gearbox.

When we bought the car the guy, who owned several other TDIs, had been using Rotella 15-40 so we stayed with it other than one cold winter in NC I switched to 5-40. The engine dropped a valve after a few years of my son driving the car. The head and affected cylinder were toast but the crank...
  2. P

Updated, car located in downtown Los Angeles.
  3. P

Car located downtown Los Angeles. Engine rebuilt Jan/Feb 2019, complete new head, +1mm bore with new pistons, new bearings throughout, etc..., etc... from I.D Parts, over $3K parts spent on rebuild. About 20k miles on rebuilt engine, about 232k on chassis. Recent tires, CV shafts, wheel...
  4. P

TDI shop downtown LA?

Car is still registered in NC but we were passing ownership to him, he's 24 and has driven the car since he was 16. We need to get this car off our books and hand over responsibility for his transportation to him. Good chance we may just have to sell as a parts car. Our mistake for not properly...
  5. P

TDI shop downtown LA?

Yea, did the full system on the TD; cleaned and lined tank, lines, rebuilt high pressure pump/lift pump and injectors. I have an old Bosch pop tester. Runs great at 302k, orig eng and trans. I cheaped out on the 98 Jetta pump though... getting back on subject.
  6. P

TDI shop downtown LA?

It we do sell the 98 (my son may go car less for a while if we can't repair, Uber!) my daughter has a 2012 Jetta TDI 6sp manual so I'll still use you guys... once its out of warranty. I also see you have a few parts for my 85MB 300TD. I may be interested in a set of Firad nozzles, running...
  7. P

TDI shop downtown LA?

IndigoBlueWagon thanks! I'll give Matt a call. I did speak to that shop and for some reason or another, I spoke to a few, I decided not to take there. As it happens nearly all the parts for the rebuild were purchased from you at IDParts... new head, pistons, overhaul kit, +++. I just should have...
  8. P

TDI shop downtown LA?

It seems our options may be spending around $1000 - 1200 to fix a car we possibly can't get through smog test in CA, ship the car that runs but is leaking fuel back to NC (probably at least $1200) or sell off as a parts car in LA... cut our loses so to speak. The engine was rebuilt as previously...
  9. P

TDI shop downtown LA?

I understand. He doesn't have very many tools, beyond some basics, nor much experience, a bit beyond what he may be able to do. As it is the car may be sold for parts or shipped back to NC as he was in the process of getting the vehicle smog checked and it had failed a courtesy check he had...
  10. P

TDI shop downtown LA?

Thanks. Problem is I am in NC, son in LA not able to do the job. I see you are a "tech", something you are able to do?
  11. P

TDI shop downtown LA?

Thanks
  12. P

TDI shop downtown LA?

The pump may be leaking at the distribution block to main body interface according to my son. I led him by Facetime through the easy parts like supply, return hoses and injector supply pipes. There may another area it is leaking? He says it's down low on pump. I found a rebuilt pump online for...
  13. P

TDI shop downtown LA?

Thank you.
  14. P

TDI shop downtown LA?

My son needs a bit of help with his 98 Jetta MKIII TDI, any shops to recommend in the downtown LA area? He is just outside Chinatown but we can have the car towed a distance if there is a good shop more towards the burbs.
  15. P

TDI shop downtown LA?

My son needs a bit of help with his 98 Jetta MKIII TDI, any shops to recommend in the downtown LA area? He is just outside Chinatown but we can have the car towed a distance if there is a good shop more towards the burbs.
  16. P

TDI shop downtown LA?