Search results

1. rocky raccoon

Probably preaching to the choir but .....

The downside of auto forums such as this is that they often frighten newbies. I have considerable experience with forums related to old Diesel Mercedes Benz and obscure motorcycles. Generally no-one posts to automotive forums unless they have come up against a problem that for one reason or...
  2. rocky raccoon

Pano sunroof

The pano sunroof , in my opinion, is best left unused. In my 2014 I had slipped a piece of foil-faced insulation between the roof and the retractable inner liner. It helped immensely with reducing the air conditioner load this summer. In the more moderate temperatures last week, I made the...
  3. rocky raccoon

2014 JSW road trip report

Just completed an over 2000 mile road trip within 8 days; Richmond VA to Charleston SC to Tampa FL, back to Charleston then home to Richmond. Car ran (sort of) flawlessly except for the following. Overall, the car was a pleasure in which to trip. I am used to a much bigger car, a 35 year old...
  4. rocky raccoon

2014 JSW road trip report and CEL code

Just completed an over 2000 mile road trip within 8 days; Richmond VA to Charleston SC to Tampa FL to Charleston then home to Richmond. Car ran (sort of) flawlessly except for the following. Overall, the car was a pleasure in which to trip. I am used to a much bigger car, a 35 year old Benz...
  5. rocky raccoon

Fuel hose identification

Possibly a rookie question and I have searched several sources with no joy. The fuel filter canister top on my CJAA has four hoses on it. Can someone please identify those hoses for me? Which is fuel supply from tank, return from injectors and what are those others? A diagram or photo...
  6. rocky raccoon

Wheel & Tire change question

The car is a 2014 Jetta Sportwagen DSG fitted with 17" wheels and 225/45-17" tires. I live in a rural area of Virginia and our road maintenance leaves a lot to be desired. I am finally fed up with low profile tire problems since I have destroyed two in the past couple of months. My plan is to...
  7. rocky raccoon

Installing Driving Lights on a 2014 JSW

I would like to do the above. All of the kits I have seen refer to installing Fog Lights. I consider Fog Lights to be borderline useless however a true Driving Light could someday save my car or life and enhance deer avoidance maneuvers while driving my rural Virginia roads at night. It...
  8. rocky raccoon

O.K. Next dumbass question (Tune)

I have a 2014 JSW TDI purchased about 6 months ago from a reputable non-VW dealer. It has been dead nuts reliable, performs very well and with good fuel economy. In fact, it performs so well I am beginning to suspect it has an aftermarket tune. How can I tell if it is so blessed?
  9. rocky raccoon

2014 JSW navigation

Does the built-in nav system periodically update by satellite link or is it like the Mercedes system that requires an expensive dealer intervention?
  10. rocky raccoon

Glow plug maintenance

Reposted here hoping to get more views and response. Car is a 2014 TDI Jetta Sportwagen. On my previous ride, a 1983 Mercedes-Benz 300CD I pulled the glow plugs every Fall, inspected, tested and reamed the seats. I now have a 2014 TDI and the manuals I have say nothing about preventive...
  11. rocky raccoon

Glow plug preventive maintenance

On my previous ride, a 1983 Mercedes-Benz 300CD I pulled the glow plugs every Fall, inspected, tested and reamed the seats. I now have a 2014 TDI and the manuals I have say nothing about preventive maintenance for the glow plugs. My question is: Do the glow plugs in this engine need the same...
  12. rocky raccoon

Cabin air and idle speed

Car is 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. My ALLDATA DIY shows the cabin air filter located inside the car beneath the floor carpet on the passenger side. Is this true? I just want to verify before I pull that carpeting out. Dumb-ass location if you ask me. Idle speed; mine is about 850 to 900 rpm...
  13. rocky raccoon

Fuel filter change 2014 Jetta TDI wagen

I know reams have been written on this already but I did it for the first time today and want to pass my experience on. My previous ride (1983 MB 300CD) had two changeable filters and a hand pump to bleed the system. This car as you all know has one filter and no means of pumping pressure up...
  14. rocky raccoon

Jack Stand location

2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Sorry guys. I did search first. Where is a good point to locate jack stands for undercar work? I see the place on the pinch weld for locating a jack but where is a safe location for jack stands? My previous ride had a real chassis.
  15. rocky raccoon

Oil change technique

Hopefully without starting a firestorm; My previous car was a Benz W123 Diesel with the OM617. That engine was made for suction oil evacuation. I only got underneath occasionally to look for fluid leaks. On the OM617, the dipstick tube extended down to the lowest point in the crankcase and I...
  16. rocky raccoon

Water leak

I know there are threads that touch on this already but I haven't found one that says "aha" to me. I bought a 2014 Sportwagen from a dealer yesterday. Seems a much better car than I thought it would be but .... Upon getting it home, I started stripping out stuff to give it a good cleaning. I...
  17. rocky raccoon

EGR delete

New here with a freshly acquired 2014 Jetta TDI (Mk 6?). I installed an EGR delete kit on my old Mercedes OM617 Diesel and would like to do the same on my VW. Are they available and if so, what is a good source? Thanks. Looking forward to lively interaction with you guys.