Search results

1. R

1995 Ranger/B4000 TDI Swap

jmcrow1954, The Ranger instrument cluster marrying was pretty straightforward. Fast Forward Automotive's wiring harness made it pretty easy. The water temp and oil temp is a matter of connecting one wire for each sensor. The tachometer just needs a signal converter (provided by Fast Forward...
  2. R

I ended up using the type of flange that TD Conversions sells. You will definitely need that. I have the part numbers for the radiator hoses I used for the upper rad hose. The small 3/4” outlet of the plastic coolant flange I ran a small section of heater hose, installed a T-fitting in the...
  3. R

Wow, it has been way too long since I updated this. The truck is driving great except for the terrible axle gearing. Got new axles ready to go in any time now along with some updates to the engine swap!
  4. R

MAP Sensor Comparability Question

I have a 99 TDI swapped Ford Ranger. I have Audi A4 dual intercooler setup. The map sensor bung is of course in the Audi intercooler. Since the sensor for the Audi is a different bung size than the Beetle, I’m wondering what comparability there is between the 2.5 bar map sensors from different...
  5. R

I like it! Some good patina on it!
  6. R

Glad to have ya here! I’ve been lacking in my posts lately. In real time, I just got the engine running, drivetrain is all together, and I am finishing up the list of small things that slows these kinds of projects down. Yeah those little Perkins diesels don’t have a whole lotta go, but those...
  7. R

Ah yes, I neglected to talk about that part. I’m not a big fan of the coolant ball that VW uses. Overall, I don’t like remote fill radiators. Your assumption is correct, though. I am using the Ranger radiator and overflow tank. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
  8. R

Darn haha. Yeah, I’ll do that. I just ordered an in-line coupler with a steam fitting. Actually it’s kind of a good thing because my upper rad hose has a plastic coupler in it and I do not like plastic coolant couplers. I can kill two birds with this metal coupler I ordered and it will give...
  9. R

I was hoping it would just go away. Lol in all seriousness, I’d like to plumb it into the upper radiator hose, but I haven’t figured how I’m going to do it.
  10. R

It was at this point that I tried to test crank aaand...nothin. After pouring over the wiring harness diagrams for the Ranger and poking around diagnosing where the voltage to the starter S terminal got lost, I found that I missed the neutral safety wires. I had removed that section of the...
  11. R

Wiring day! I dropped a good chunk of change on a full wiring harness from Fast Forward Automotive. I cannot stress how much time and how many headaches it has saved me in this swap. David up there in Canada has been incredibly helpful with all my many questions. As I'm writing this, I have...
  12. R

Coolant routing. This was a project that I was not looking forward to that actually turned out pretty darn easy. I looked at the setup and went to the auto parts store and picked out some hoses that I thought would work. First batch of hoses matched up perfectly. For the lower radiator hose...
  13. R

TDI Ranger Build

Ahhh, that makes more sense lol
  14. R

ALH in a Civic

TX smoke: I would also add that you’ll have to modify the fuel pickup. I.e. removing the in-tank pump. Once you remove the stock Civic fuel pump, you’ll have to decide whether you want to run a lift pump. If you don’t have a return fuel line in the Civic, you’ll need one for the diesel...
  15. R

I will do that. I have a good 2 gauge positive wire running to my starter from my battery already. I definitely do want to install a ground wire from the engine to the frame as well, like you mentioned. I just finished a Jeep CJ7 build recently and installing a ground strap from the engine to...
  16. R

Honeybadger: You’re right about the fuel pickup, I may be remembering greengeeker’s build. I will double check his build and edit that and give him due credit. That’s what I get for relying on my memory. Lol! (EDIT: It was not Greengeeker’s build. In fact it was Jon from BleepinJeep’s TDI...
  17. R

The hose routing from below the front bumper area under the intercoolers. E93715DF-21BC-4D33-9256-E393A1FA3182 by Ryan Vincent, on Flickr EE97ECF4-9315-4BC7-938C-3FC6A7459371 by Ryan Vincent, on Flickr The charge piping going from the turbo to the intercoolers and from the intercoolers to the...
  18. R

Alright! Intercooler plumbing time! I have a friend who had a dual intercooler setup leftover from his killer Audi A4 build. He went with something bigger, but this setup will be plenty for my diesel. It also already has a spot for a VW MAP sensor. D0390BE7-E089-4CDD-AC6D-398F1F63B118 by Ryan...
  19. R

Next is to remove the newly mounted engine from the truck to replace the rear main seal and mount the trans the adapter plate I got from TDconversions. AC509110-D62E-4E13-8F6F-75ABA59B64EB by Ryan Vincent, on Flickr I definitely recommend dropping the money on exhaust wrap since the exhaust...
  20. R

Alright, new post finally! Craziness. I have been working on the truck this entire time actually. I'm very close to finishing it this month, but I've been lagging on posting about the progress. Before I jump into the progress, I figure I'll show some of the problem clearance areas like I...