Search results

1. B

99 2 Door 5-Speed ALH in Edmonton

My neighbors son came to me today to inform me he is selling his golf that he inherited from his father. It is a base model green 99 Golf 2-Door with the ALH and 5-Speed. The best part is that it has 125,000KM on it. The car is located in Edmonton Alberta. The owner says he is asking $5500...
  2. B

99 Golf 2-Door ALH 5-Speed

My neighbors son came to me today to inform me he is selling his golf that he inherited from his father. It is a base model green 99 Golf 2-Door with the ALH and 5-Speed. The best part is that it has 125,000KM on it. The car is located in Edmonton Alberta. The owner says he is asking $5500...
  3. B

Single mass clutch replacement

I think my clutch is about done in my 05 TDI. Previous owner installed a single mass flywheel and clutch, can I just order a new clutch & pressure plate and machine the flywheel? Also, are all the single mass clutches interchangeable, or do I have to pull it apart and order the same brand...
  4. B

Unsteady idle on cold start

On a 99 Golf ALH auto, when cold started, the idle will bounce by 100-200rpm for the fist 30 seconds or so, then smooth out. After that, it is fine, rock steady idle. It starts right up, a little smoke when the idle is bouncing, but clears up when it steadies out. It does this in neutral and...
  5. B

99.5 Temp sensor issues

I have a 99.5 Auto TDI, I am having issues with the 4 pin temp sensor not reporting the correct temp to the ECM. When I first got it a couple weeks ago, it reported a coolant temp of 68C when the engine is cold, intake air temp was registering 18C, which is what it was in my garage. I replaced...
  6. B

99.5 coolant temp sensor resistance

I have a 99.5 golf, ALH auto. I noticed the ECM was seeing a coolant temp of 68C on a cold engine. I changed the sensor, and now it sees a coolant temp of 38C when it is cold, ambient is 18C. At operating temperature, the ECM is seeing 115C, gauge reads normally, and checking temperature of...
  7. B

Worst ALH intake buildup?

Just bought a 99, was old buy an older guy, he passed away and I bought it from his son. Car is a 99 Golf TDI with the auto. I was told turbo was bad, because no power. Car is totally gutless, and smokey, doesn't rev, barely pulled itself up the trailer. No codes, as it came without a...
  8. B

Just Bought a Flash Red 99

Just picked up a Flash Red 99 TDI. Vin number shows made in Germany, 4 door, no sunroof, beige interior, auto (unfortunately), seems well loaded, has factory 6 disc CD changer in the trunk, heated cloth seats, 264,000km. All original, somehow even has the stock plastic engine underbelly plate...
  9. B

Used Oil Analysis

Does anybody do a used oil analysis on their TDI? I just did my first one last month. Looks like I should shorten my drain intervals. I have an 05 BEW, brand new AMC cam kit last year, the oil analyzed was the second oil chance since the cam replacement. Running Liqui Moly 5W40, the one with...
  10. B

BEW vs 2.slow differences

Thinking of picking up a 04 Golf for my Sister in law. She drove my 05 TDI when I was fixing her car and quite liked it. I found an 04 Golf GL with the 2.0 gas and 5 speed manual. Other than the obvious gas engine instead of the Diesel, what is different to my 05 TDI GLS 5-speed? The gas one...
  11. B

New front strut & spring issues

I had a broken spring on my 05 golf BEW 4 door, so I ordered some KYB shocks and mounts and Lesjofors springs from Rock Auto. When I first got the parts, one shock was from a different supplier, the top of the shock body was different, and when compressed, one returned to full stroke a few...
  12. B

Driver's door lock issue

I replaced my driver's door lock module due to the old one not locking sometimes. The new door lock module always locks and unlocks now, but the issue is that you have to pull the interior door handle twice to open the door, the same as the rear doors. First pull unlocks the door and the...
  13. B

Rear Wiper/Washer issue

I am not sure if this is normal or not, but I think its not normal. When I spray washer fluid on my rear window of my 05 Golf, the wiper does not come on, but the wiper works on the intermittent setting. Basically, I have to use the wash function to spray washer fluid on the back window, then...
  14. B

BEW Actuator Pigtail

I want to replace the turbo actuator electrical pigtail on my 05 Golf TDI. I went to the dealer, and they wanted $130 for the plug and 3 wires! Is this the correct plug for my actuator? It is 3 wires: https://www.idparts.com/pin-connector-3d0973703-p-2324.html Also, are these wires correct...
  15. B

Driver's door doesn't lock sometimes

I've been noticing my 05 Golf driver's door hasn't been locking sometimes when I lock with my fob. When this happens the horn doesn't chirp, if I open the driver's door, the alarm goes off when this happens. Usually when I don't hear the chirp when locking, I can hit unlock twice to unlock all...
  16. B

Lower EGR Pipe Question

Just changed the lower EGR hose (from exhaust manifold to cooler) due to a small leak. I just got this car, I verified all of my EGR cooler bolts are installed when I had the pipe off. I noticed the part number on the old pipe is different than the new one. Looking online to see if its an old...
  17. B

Ford MTX Oil XT-M5-QS

Has anybody used the Ford Synthetic Manual Transmission oil (XT-M5-QS), in their 5-speed TDI? I would like to change the oil in my 05, I have heard the VW stuff is not the best, and GM Synchromesh is good, my car has 396,000KM on it. I did have a 01 Focus that came originally with 75W90 GL4...
  18. B

2dr tdi gl

How common is a 2dr base model TDI? I am unsure of the year, but it doesn't have the blue rear view mirrors. It also doesn't have heated seats, manual crank windows, no sunroof. It was my neighbors, who are in their 80's, and I rarely saw the car move, so I bet it has under 100,000 miles...
  19. B

Cooling fan comes on when key turned off

My 05 Golf just developed an issue. Just started it cold, brought into garage, turned off the engine, and I can hear my low speed cooling fans running. I turned on the key don't start the engine, the fans turn off. Turn off the key and the fans turn back on. Did a search and get results...
  20. B

Which Glow plugs - 05 BEW

I just purchased a 2005 Golf with the BEW engine, I am doing a cam/timing belt/oil pump replacement on it. I did have 3 glow plug errors before I started tanking it apart. I have no history other than previous owner saying it has some glow plug faults, and he has had some replaced a year ago...