Search results

1. J

WTB right tail light for mk4 Golf

Cracked the plastic on mine a few years back while trying to remove it; want to sell the car so need to buy a new one. I live in SoCal. Thanks.
  2. J

New water pump and thermostat for V10 Touareg

Water pump: 07Z 121 011 Thermostat: 07Z 121 111 The thermostat assy goes for $350-400, the water pump for over $400. I'll get both of these go for $300 each, or if you want to buy both together I'll sell them to you for $550.
  3. J

Oil pan bolt thread repair question

Hello, got a question that wanted to bounce to the community here. I replaced my oil pan a week ago, and I was able to get 19 of the 20 bolts fastened. For those of you that don't know, there are 20 bolts that the oil pan has, 18 of those 20 have threads in the engine block. The last two fasten...
  4. J

Mk4 appreciation thread

I've owned my '03 Golf for over 3.5 years now, and bought it at 190k miles from the original owner. I just did a "mini" loop here in California through the Sierra, and this car handled it like a dream. Went up to 8k+ feet over many mountain passes on highway 395 and others (highway 88 near...
  5. J

SOLD: 2006 V10 Touareg 185k - San Diego, CA - $1500

Bought a project V10 Touareg 2 months ago, 185k miles, right tandem pump was leaking. I decided to do the tandem pump change with the engine in place (it's possible). I started the engine with almost everything back in place (just the air intakes off), and I must have ripped some sort of coolant...
  6. J

WTB .681 5th gear for an 02J transmission

Posting this here because as many of you probably know, this specific gear ratio has been discontinued for awhile... One was posted here several months back; guy had it lying around and never installed it. Looking for something in similar condition. I'd even consider one that's gotten 10k or...
  7. J

Possible bad MAF

Wanted to get anyone's opinion on my situation here... for context I have a 2003 Golf, stick shift with 232k miles I had to unplug the MAF because I had to work on the shift linkage and remove the airbox to get to it. When I restored my airbox and started driving, I was getting a CEL soon after...
  8. J

WTB balance weight for 02J transmission

The splines on mine are quite f'ed up at this point, the splines on the actual shift tower look ok. I'll take a risk and buy another balance weight with good splines and see how long it holds up. I am changing out all the bushings on the shift linkage because the car has 230k and it's time. I...
  9. J

How should the vane actuator feel?

I finally got my car on a lift to go change the sway bar bushings (and no more clunking when going from forward to reverse or vice versa yay!) Anyways, I know I have an overboost going on; I even got the dreaded P0234 code a few weeks back after coming back from a road trip, and that was after...
  10. J

Finally got a VAG-COM cable, and this is what I got

Finally broke down and got a cable from the forums here. Couple that with a $30 broke as hell but working computer, and here we are. I posted a while back about not being happy with my MPGs after a timing belt change by a shop...
  11. J

Getting zero signal from ASV connector

If you look at my post history, I've been chasing a problem of my ASV not actuating when turning off. I finally went and disconnected the connector, and stuck two multimeter leads into the connector to see if there would be a signal when the car was turned off. So I got someone to go into the...
  12. J

I notice lower MPG with first tank after timing belt change

Some of you might have seen in an earlier thread I posted about a month ago that I had a shop that does European cars do my timing belt. Well, I typically put in 10 gallons of diesel, and I do it right before the light comes on and beeps at me. It's a good way to have a consistent marker and...
  13. J

Intake cleaning

I was going to bring my intake for my ALH to get it cleaned at a place that chemically cleans aluminum in a bath before it gets plated. Anyone ever done this before? It was a plating place that recommended the place where I would have this done. Thx.
  14. J

USPS just released news that they'll be replacing all the Grumman LLVs...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35604138/usps-oshkosh-defense-new-mail-trucks/ So you know what that means? Bunch of ALH/BEW conversions into old mail trucks incoming!! It's actually kinda uncanny, the curb weight of the Grumman LLV is like, dead on with a Mk4 Golf...
  15. J

WTB Mk4 leather seats, preferably black

Located in Southern California area, willing to drive to get them, but not too far. PM me with pics, thanks!
  16. J

Think this grease is OK to use?

I need to replace my flange seal on my 02J transmission; I noticed it was leaking several months ago, and probably started leaking when I removed that flange when I put back in my transmission after doing my clutch around a year ago. Here are details on the job...
  17. J

Question about replacing seal for output flange on transmission

I did my clutch about a year ago, and I had to remove my right flange to get the transmission back in. Several months after doing that, I noticed that gear oil was leaking from that flange, so I suspect that the seal went bad when I removed it. So, I am going to replace it! There's a good guide...
  18. J

Have any idea what this noise is?

I've posted this before, but I made a video of it and wanted to get fresh ears on it. I have replaced the tires, they're balanced, and the rims aren't bent. I'm pretty sure it's not either bearings, I checked the left side down to the hub and there's zero play in it. And there's no clicking or...
  19. J

Trouble putting in new struts

So let me start by saying that I knew about the strut spreader tool, and opted for a 1/4" extension, and it worked fine to hammer into the gap in the hub assy and get the old strut out. Also, let me note that while I took the strut out, I also took out my lower control arm (LCA) because I needed...
  20. J

Special tool for struts?

I am about to change out the front struts and spring (got some Bilstein HDs and Kerma springs, aw yeah), and in the Bentley manual there is a special tool that they use to disassemble the coil spring from the old strut, and I'm assuming will have to be used when assembling the new one too. It's...